Profile for Mr J G White > Reviews

Content by Mr J G White

Mr J G White

The Daylight War (Demon Cycle 3)
The Daylight War (Demon Cycle 3)
by Peter V. Brett
Price: 12.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 11 Feb 2013
The painted man was one of my favourite books I have read over the last few years. The plot and ideas behind it were very clever and I enjoyed it immensely. The Desert spear came next and though not as good was still a very good read. The fact the book went back and retold some of the story from first book from another characters perspective was interesting and the story moved on a lot from the first book.
However I found this third entry in the series a massive disappointment. The story goes back again to the events of the 1st book but this time from the perspective of a 3rd character(not really necessary and a bit tedious). Away from this I found the story didn't seem to move on much from the other two books.
I believe this was originally a trilogy that has been turned into a quintet. I think this book reflects this as it reads like a book thats been padded out to avoid finishing the story too quickly.
Not to ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet but apart from the last page of the book nothing really happens that moves the story on. Everyone is pretty much in the same situation at the end of the book as they were at the beginning. When something does finally happen at the end of the book thats the end. With his writing speed I expect it will be 2 years till the next book and I hope Peter Brett makes an effort to move the story on a bit more in that one.
So all in all very disappointed but I will read the next in the series to hope its a return to form.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2013 4:03 PM GMT

Invasion
Invasion
Price: 1.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Invasion (Kindle Edition)
I bough it as a whim and was not disappointed. Very good idea and reasonably well written. I'll be given the authors over books a go as well.

CAUGHT SHORT ABROAD - My U bend romp around the globe
CAUGHT SHORT ABROAD - My U bend romp around the globe
Price: 2.05

5.0 out of 5 stars A Travel story with a difference...., 29 Nov 2012
I'm sure I am not the only one sick of boring travel books. After 20 years of being bored by Michael Palin's tedious exploits (how many different ways can a man travel the world), I felt like trying a travel book with something a bit different about it and this did not disappoint!

We've all suffered toilet embarrassment abroad and the author has skillfully translated their own problems into hilarious stories. I would find it amazing if you read this book and didn't have tears of laughter by the end! Its an exceptional read. I have recommended it to all my friends and its very popular with my German friends (and I thought they didn't have a sense of humour).

Give this book a go and you won't regret it!

Stags!
Stags!
Price: 0.98

4.0 out of 5 stars A suprisingly good page turner, 10 May 2011
This review is from: Stags! (Kindle Edition)
Being a fan of thrillers and crime fiction this is not the sort of genre of book I tend to normally read. However I took a chance on the free Kindle sample and was hooked enough to pay full price to download the whole novel. It really is a page turner. You wouldn't think a story about planning the perfect stag night would be quite so gripping! I recommend that anyone who fancies trying a book that is different to most other books out there to give this a go. I don't think you will be disappointed!

Fowler: My Autobiography
Fowler: My Autobiography
by Robbie Fowler

4.0 out of 5 stars GOD, 7 Sep 2005
I've always been a robbie fowler fan and was pleased when he decided to become a City player. Unfortunately he has turned out to be a bit disapointing although the recent signs are he is getting better. Its refreshing to read a book where the player is frank enough to say that things are not going well for him at the moment. The stories of his Liverpool days are brilliant and its plain to see now that Liverpool is the club he still wants to play for.
Insights into Houllier, Thompson and sven's management styles are very interesting but it may just be a case of sour grapes as none of them really liked him as a player.
If you are a city or liverpool fan or if you hate Gary Neville then i would recommend that you buy this book its brilliant.

Summer Madness and Other Pieces
Summer Madness and Other Pieces
by Michael Madden

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure brilliance, 2 July 2003
I picked up a copy of this book in my local dentists surgery and after only two minutes I was hooked. I have since bought my own copy and have found myself both baffled and intrigued in equal measures. The poem "Fear of Darkness" in particular struck a cord with me while "to the war" was close to bringing a tear to my eye.
I fail to understand why this author has yet to publish any more works as he is quite clearly a master. All i can say is WHY????
If you are fed up with the likes of Ted Hughes and Seamus Heaney then I think you will find that this book could be for you. It as even moved me to write this poem which I am dedicating to the author.
FOUND
I find myself lost in your words
the world is dark and yet you bring light
but with this light you create darkness
Why?