Profile for RT Twinem > Reviews

Content by RT Twinem

RT Twinem "freeloader" (Bristol, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Want You Dead
Want You Dead
by Peter James
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the series Peter James does not disappoint😄, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Want You Dead (Hardcover)
I would recommend that if reading a crime series you should not attempt to read the complete series in one sitting. I have dipped in and out of this excellent Roy Grace/Peter James stories over the last few years and have felt the better for it. This latest 10 in the series is a fast and brilliant read with Roy Grace pitted against the evil Bryce Laurent and his attempts to kill his old flame Red Westwood. We meet and become familiar again with Roy's colleagues.....DI Glenn Branson, DS Bella Moy, Norman Potting, Guy Bachelor. Add to this mix the re emergence of Roy's ex "dead" wife Sandy on Roy's wedding day😄 and a very personal,unexpected death then we have the recipe for a brilliant and great addition to this first class crime series. I look forward to book 11😃😃

Nightfall
Nightfall
by John Farris
Price: 15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch old school horror/thriller...., 23 July 2014
This review is from: Nightfall (Hardcover)
Oh it has been such a long time since I first read this little cracker! Angel has escaped from an institution and is on a killing spree to find his ex wife Anita and deal out some justice! There is a great list of characters in this fast and furious tour de force from one of the great horror writers! I love the setting in the deep south..Lostmans Bayou...sounds like a place for losers...and you can feel the heat and the swamp from every page :) So lets meet and greet the locals..Wink Evergood, Baldric, Big Dog, preacher man Wolfdaddy and the Next-Thing-to-Heaven Church of the Right-Way Gospel. Will Angel be successful in his voyage of redemption or will the courageous ex Vietnam vet the dashing Captain Clay Tomlin, who strangely loses his eyesight at night, save the day and rescue the beautiful Anita from the jaws of the Angel....all will be revealed in this top notch horror thriller!!

From the Dead (Kindle Enhanced Edition) (Tom Thorne Novels Book 9)
From the Dead (Kindle Enhanced Edition) (Tom Thorne Novels Book 9)
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars DI Thorne we love to hate you!, 21 July 2014
Lets get one thing straight here...I think DI Thorne is a real "prick" of a man. He is self centred, egotistical ,driven,and treats female company in the most despicable manner. Louise his latest partner is ignored by him, he is always working and likes to avoid conversation and her compnay preferring to drink with his mates and refusing to recognize that it is him and him alone that is the constant cause of his relationship breakups. In this latest romp he has the company of a young lady called Anna Carpenter and he actually believes that he could have a relationship with her, that she really likes this super cool egotistical cop this real man old enough to be her father!...well DI Thorne get your act together and recognize that you have faults...lots of them...and if not sorted soon you will be left a sad old man....there I've got that off my chest and it is undoubtly down to the writing talents of Mark Billingham that I can feel such a strong hate for Tom Thorne. This is a first class detective story that starts with the gruesome recalling of an old case that DI Thorne thought was "buried" in the past. There are lots of surprises and a great action story that takes place in both the UK and Spain but the real star is the characterization of DI Tom Thorne this flawed copper with the bloodhound ability to find his man...leaving misery and destruction in his path! Great stuff.....look forward to the next outing!

The Payback: (Dennis Milne 3)
The Payback: (Dennis Milne 3)
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Kernick does not disappoint!, 19 July 2014
Very fond of Simon Kernick as a thriller/crime writer and this does not disappoint. Yes, it has to be said there is little in the way of deep character development but what this book lacks in deep intelligent literary thought it makes up for in the ferocious action that starts on page one and does not let up until the end....so if you want to escape from the toils and tribulations of daily life...let facebook go....forget emails...switch off the telly and settle down to good old fashioned storytelling....come on you know you want to and you will not be disapponted :)) The Payback sees the pairing of Tina Boyd and Dennis Milne in a fast and exciting romp in The Phillippines, both characters are flawed and frankly appear to put very little value on life some might even say hiding a death wish but this only notches up the action for the reader. The book is brought to a great conclusion and neatly closed some of the running storylines and themes and there is an excellent little postscript from the author.

Siege: (Scope 1)
Siege: (Scope 1)
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned thriller action...marvellous!, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Siege: (Scope 1) (Kindle Edition)
Very fond of Simon Kernick as a thriller/crime writer and this does not disappoint. Yes, it has to be said there is little in the way of deep character development but what this book lacks in deep intelligent literary thought it makes up for in the ferocious action that stars on page one and does not let up until the end....so if you want to escape from the toils and tribulations of the daily life...let facebook go....forget emails...switch off the telly and settle down to good old fashioned storytelling....come on you know you want to and you will not be disapponted :))

No Country for Old Men
No Country for Old Men
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer Brilliance!, 13 July 2014
This book was a surprise and a revelation to me in its unexpected brilliance! It was a Saturday morning here in downtown Bristol UK and as was my want I was visiting the local library and browsing the books they were trying to sell...clear the shelves of the used paperbacks making way for the new...when perchance I happened upon No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. I offered the librarian one English pound and she gave me change...lots of change...”we just want rid of these old books she said” I returned home happy and content with my purchase, I had seen the movie and hoped the novel would be a good read....I was not disappointed.....

This book is a deep dark noir of greed, corruption and the evil that men do. Llewlyn Moss discovers a large amount of money, the result of a drug deal gone wrong, and he selfishly decides that whatever happens...whatever the consequences he will keep this money and make a better life for both him and his girlfriend Carla cause that’s what he believed he could do. “You live to be a hundred, he said, and there wont be another day like this one” Moss however had not reckoned with the intervention of one of the greatest hired assassins in the history of storytelling; Anton Chigurh played brilliantly in the Coen Brothers excellent movie by Javier Bardem

However underneath this story, the real underbelly, and the message that McCarthy is trying to instill into the reader is the moral degradation of the American west. Sheriff Ed Bell is the lawman charged with making sense of all the killings and he together with his uncle Ellis lament the increasing violence in the region and the disrespect of a younger generation against those who fought and died for American values. “These old people I talk to if you could of told em that there would be people on the streets of our Texas towns with green hair and bones in their noses speakin a language they couldn’t even understand, well, they just flat out wouldn’t of believed you.”

It is the southern Texas language of this wonderful book that really shines through and gives such authenticity to the writing. As Moss is trying to evade his would be killer he gives a ride to a hitchhiker and over lunch...”She ate. She looked around. Can I get some coffee ? she said You can get anything you want. You got money. She looked at him. I guess I aint sure what the point is, she said. The point is there aint no point. No, I mean what you said. About knowin where you are. He looked at her. After a while he said: It’s not about knowin where you are. It’s about thinkin you got there without takin anything with you. Your notions about startin over. Or anybody’s. You don’t start over. That’s what it’s about. Ever step you take is forever. You cant make it go away. None of it. You understand what I’m sayin? .....I think so...I know you don’t but let me try it one more time. You think when you wake up in the morning yesterday don’t count. But yesterday is all that does count. What else is there? You life is made out of the days it’s made out of. Nothin else. You might think you could run away and change your name and I don’t know what all. Start over. And then one morning you wake up and look at the ceiling and guess who’s layin there?

There are some wonderful conversations that occurred between Bell and his Uncle Ellis that add such a poignant realism to the story. “What’s your biggest regret in life. The old man looked at him, gauging the question. I don’t know he said. I aint got all that many regrets. I could imagine lots of things you might think would make a man happier. I reckon being able to walk around might be one. You can make up your own list. You might even have one. I thing by the time you’re grown you’re as happy as you’re goin to be. You’ll have good times and bad times, but in the end you’ll be about as happy as you was before. Or as unhappy. I’ve knowed people that just never did get the hang of it”

If I was to tell you that I read this book in one sitting then you may come some way to understand both it’s importance and literary content...with just a little dark noir humour thrown in....

“We got another execution here Sherriff? No, I believe this one’s died of natural causes....Natural causes? Natural to the line of work he’s in.

“I’m like you. I aint sure we’ve seen these people before. Their kind. I don’t know what to do about em even. If you killed em all they’d have to build a annex on to hell”.....

A wonderful story by a literary genius that deserves to be read by all...and then read again!

Animosity
Animosity
Price: 3.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing from a brilliant author!, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Animosity (Kindle Edition)
Ten minutes ago I killed three of my neighbors...Four, if you count the baby. What a start! to a fantastic rollercoaster of a ride the leaves the reader breathless right to the last page. Andy Holland is a horror writer (and we love horror writers!) living single at home from his estranged wife Karen (who he found in an uncompromising position with her boss!) and daughter Samantha. Andy is carrying a lot of heartache there’s just him now, and his good old buddy his faithful dog Norman and one day whilst the faithful pair are out walking they make the horrific discovery of the naked body of a dead child and thereafter things are never the same...”Truth be told, I knew exactly what was bothering Norman. Ever since that fateful morning, I could tell my dog had not been the same. It wasn’t anything I could put a finger on, really, other than a slight tension in the retriever’s haunches, a cautious twitch of his ears every few minutes. Yet I knew he sensed the wrongness that had festered within our neighbourhood these last few days. An ominous feeling lingered on every breeze, like the ozone scent of a storm looming just seconds away. The air around us crackled with a strange, electric quiet. Gone were the low, rattling drone of skateboard wheels atop asphalt and the ticking of playing cards in bicycle spokes and the carefree laughter of children which normally echoed up and down our block......”
This is a delicious story that starts of slow with the horror and the reality of Andy’s situation building to a bloody crescendo and in the end Andy discovers that the good life he thought he had was in reality a myth and those he hoped he could trust disappeared and turned against him. There were three great characters of note Ronnie “Round Man” Miller proprietor of the 7th Avenue Stop-N-Shop and two of Andy’s neighbours: Mona Purfield “an obese senior citizen who dyed her hair the brightest orange I have ever seen. When the sun hit it just right, her head looked like it was on fire. She always wore three or four times more make-up than necessary for a woman her age, dressed in flowery muumuus and neon pink flip-flops wherever she went, and spoke in the most nasally, obnoxious voice you can imagine” and Ben Souther who always had a handy quote whenever and wherever he needed it. “Everyone is a moon” Ben Souther said, “and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.”
So will the killer be discovered?, will Andy ever have the good life again? And will he still be loved and revered by the good people of Poinsettia Lane? Dear readers you are in for a wonderful treat James Newman is one of the greatest living exponents of the the horror genre and this novel is truly brilliant...so read..and enjoy and be thankful for the support and love of good neighbours 

Stay Alive
Stay Alive
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars great fast moving thriller, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Stay Alive (Kindle Edition)
Ok so this book is not going to win any prizes in the deep thinking big character development novel but what it lacks in feeling it makes up for sheer enjoyment...and lets face it sometimes it's good to just go along for the ride :)...Amanda Rowan arrives home to find that her husband is upstairs in bed with his mistress and guess what both have been murdered!! and not only that the killer is still present and wants to claim Amanda as his third trophy for the day. So starts a great white knuckle ride and edge of the seat fun thriller...which never takes itself too seriously but is great fun and adds a little bit of light hearted killer fun to a good old crime caper. There are some top class baddies and a (flawed...is there any other) hero Scope with a little gangster and Russian mafia imput! What more could you want I really enjoyed and will certainly be reading lots more by Mr Kernick.

Stinger
Stinger
Price: 6.17

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry not for me....., 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stinger (Kindle Edition)
Lets face it some people love a certain story...others just cannot or do not enjoy. Now there are a lot of McCammon fans out there and I rate Wolf's Hour and Boy's Life as superb novels....but I could not enjoy Stinger and had great trouble finishing. I'ts basically the story of an alien invasion on a small community and the effect that this has on the day to day life of the residents. I did quite enjoy the first 200 pages (before the baddies arrived) and found some likeable characters and looked forward to the development of the plot line...however...once the invasion happened we have the big fight of good v evil (in the form of a scorpion like stinger alien!)and this struggle went on for some 300+ pages and frankly it bored the *** of me. I really fought to finish this story but somehow managed to hold on until the bitter end (which was no real surprise)...Sorry not for me:(

December Park
December Park
Price: 4.68

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: December Park (Kindle Edition)
I did expect a lot from this book as Ronald Malfi is a fav author of mine. This is a coming of age story built around the murder and disappearance of a number of teenagers. I found the story a little overlong and within those 700 pages very little seemed to happen as the kids chased and cycled around on their bikes trying to find the murderer who they called the Piper...and that's it! So a little disappointed but as always RM kept me reading with his great style and ability to create believable and human characters that any reader can associate with.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18