Profile for S. C. Ellis > Reviews

Content by S. C. Ellis

S. C. Ellis

Page: 1 | 2
Live At The Roxy With Don Cherry: Live At The Roxy Theatre In Los Angeles - December 1st, 1976

3.0 out of 5 stars A welcome addition to Lou's semi legit catalogue, but probably for completists, 11 April 2015
The one star reviewer who suggested this was 'sub bootleg quality' almost put me off buying this but I'm glad I took a chance. From that review I was expecting the sound quality to be down at the level of something like the Velvet Underground's 'Problems in Urban Living' but it certainly isn't. It is a recording of an FM radio broadcast and it is quite an enjoyable listen. There's a bit of hiss in the quieter songs, the sound of the instruments is a little muddy and the cymbals are a bit tinny - but no more than you would expect from an unofficial release like this. The vocals and instruments are pretty well balanced, i.e. no booming vocals and quiet instruments or vocals drowned out by the band. I also find that what you listen to it on makes a difference - it was fine on my Roberts radio/CD/ipod dock but worse on my car stereo, though this is probably because I need to adjust the bass and treble settings rather than an issue with the recording.

The one star reviewer suggested this was for completists only. That's probably true, but not in the pejorative sense of needing to have it in your collection but not wanting to listen to it more than once due to the sound quality. If you have explored all the official studio and live albums and you feel you need some live Lou from the 1976 period then you would be far better off choosing 'Thinking of Another Place' rather than this. 'Thinking of Another Place' is a better put together package, the sound is brighter and you get more of a variety of songs. However, if you are a completist 'Live at the Roxy with Don Cherry' is a welcome addition to the semi legit Lou Reed catalogue.

It does not have the feel of being lovingly assembled for the devoted fans. There's no booklet. The CDs come in those little white paper envelopes with the clear circular front and stick down flap. The track listing is incorrect - all the songs mentioned are present but not in the order shown. In some cases the end applause from one song segues a little clumsily into the applause at the beginning of the next track. Some tracks have gaps between them (always a little irritating on live albums) whereas others have continuous applause. In one or two places there is some minor clipping of the first note of the song. These characteristics all mean it very much has the feel of a traditional bootleg - but not a bad one.

Ultimately views on sound quality will always be subjective, depending on your expectations and what you have been used to listening to. In short, if you had taken a punt on this having found it in the euphemistically titled 'rare recordings' section at a record and cd fair, you probably would not regret your £12.99 investment. However, it does not compare well with 'Thinking of Another Place' which, in my opinion, wouldn't be out of place in some official bootleg series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2015 12:14 PM BST

THG Designer Style Anti-fatigue Folding Foldable Pocket Reading Glasses Spectacles Clear Vision Magnifier +2.00 Outdoor Travel Elastic Belt Case
Offered by THG LIMITED

2.0 out of 5 stars The first time I took them off one of the ..., 18 July 2014
The first time I took them off one of the lenses fell out. They do a job and are relatively cheap but I am not sure how long they are likely to last. They also ship from Hong kong/China it appears - THG stands for TradingHub Global.

Also not sure which designer the title alludes to - one who probably deserves to be unemployed I would suggest. They are functional rather than trendy or stylish.

+1.50 Wayfarer Style Lightly Tinted Bifocal Reading Glasses, Black Frame, Men Womens Unisex, Retro Classic Designer, 1.5 Prescription
Offered by I-SENTIAL

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Lightly tinted' doesn't equal sunglasses, 7 July 2014
The problem lies in the words 'lightly tinted' and no mention of the word 'sunglasses' in the title. They are exactly that - lightly tinted and therefore serve virtually no purpose as sunglasses. My mistake I guess - I suppose there must be people out there who do want a very lightly tinted set of bifocal glasses. If that is what you are after then the construction seems quite solid and they have a good wayfarer look - you'd notice the difference in direct comparison with some Raybans but they look the part.

However if you are after bifocal sun glasses I wouldn't bother - I'm sending them back. It's a nice concept - why doesn't somebody make some bifocal wayfarer style glasses with a much darker tint?

WAITING FOR THE MAN - LIVE
WAITING FOR THE MAN - LIVE

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but some sound faults, 4 May 2014
A good performance from Lou and the overall the sound quality is pretty good. Be aware though that there are some sound faults (eg on Sweet Jane) and these are more obvious on some players than others. They are most noticeable when there is a clear separation between the right and left channels (such as on headphones). On other players you might not notice at all on a casual listen. This isn't just my copy - try the mp3 samples as well. It's also the same issue on the identical 'Winter at the Roxy'.
Overall, probably less relevant as a recording now that 'Thinking of Another Place' has been released and it is a shame about the faded end on 'Coney Island Baby'

Winter At The Roxy
Winter At The Roxy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but some sound faults, 4 May 2014
This review is from: Winter At The Roxy (Audio CD)
A good performance from Lou and the overall the sound quality is pretty good. Be aware though that there are some sound faults (eg on Sweet Jane) and these are more obvious on some players than others. They are most noticeable when there is a clear separation between the right and left channels (such as on headphones). On other players you might not notice at all on a casual listen. This isn't just my copy - try the mp3 samples as well. It's also the same issue on the identical 'Waiting for the Man Live'

Probably less relevant as a recording now that 'Thinking of Another Place' has been released and it is shame about the faded end on 'Coney Island Baby'

JJC replacement Canon EW-78D Lens Hood for CANON EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM, EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Offered by PowerPlanet UK - typ. 5-7 working days

2.0 out of 5 stars Pay extra for the Canon Original, 29 July 2011
I bought one of these for my 18 - 200 Canon lens. It's a very tight fit and not a patch on the genuine Canon item. Once it's on it no doubt does its job but I found turning it round to face the other way for storage virtually impossible. After fitting a couple of times the plastic spring clip came out of place and I had to re-fit it.

If you are going to fit this to the lens and leave it in place then you'll probably be satisified but if you want to take it on and off or reverse it for storage then it is likely to be a source of irritation and a false economy.

Christmas In The Heart
Christmas In The Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Respect to Bob, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Christmas In The Heart (Audio CD)
When I first heard this was coming out I suspected I would have been echoing Marcus Greil's famous appraisal of Dylan's Self Portrait album. But surprisingly - against all the odds - it works. It's not the best thing Bob's ever produced, but it's great to hear him having some fun and not taking himself or his legend too seriously.

Essentially Bob uses the vocal style familiar from recent albums (Time out of Mind onwards, but especially Love and Theft) to render these familiar Christmas songs. Some of the song choices don't quite work - I'm not sure about some of the more traditional songs (eg Hark the Herald Angels Sing and O Come All Ye Faithful) and I would have liked to have seen Sleigh Ride (Just hear those sleigh bells jingling, ring ting tingling too. Come on, it's lovely weather...etc) included. The musical backing is quite polished and is a nice contrast with Bob's rasping vocal. It's difficult to keep a straight face when listening to this and I can see that after a few drinks around the Christmas table it will sound quite cool.

You do get the impression that Bob is having a bit of joke here. All those serious music magazines that do Bob special editions will now have to put this alongside classic albums like Blonde on Blonde, Bringing It All back Home and Blood on Tracks and think of intelligent things to say about it. As for the fans, keen to buy any additional crumb that Columbia/Bob gives us or any `unofficial' recording we can get our hands on, we can get a deluxe edition not with any additional music but a pack of Christmas cards.

Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD)
Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok when working, beware of Technical Support when it doesn't, 16 Oct. 2009
Let's be clear this is a good product when it's working. It would be worrying if in terms of functionality a product from a company as dominant in the market as Norton could not achieve a 4/5 star review. However when you part with your cash for this product you are also purchasing an entitlement to technical support and the quality of this should also be a consideration.

My specific problem was that my Norton 360 2.0 started showing a message that I needed to activate it despite the fact that it had been running for almost a year and still had a month to run on the subscription. When following the activation procedure it told me that it couldn't activate. This problem was not solved by Norton technical support and in attempting to address this by trying to remotely install Norton 360 3.0 they left me in worse position than I had been.

Over a sequence of three evenings totalling about 7 hours of support they not only failed to install Norton 360 3.0 but also wrecked my internet connection in the process so that I couldn't get on line. Despite me telling them repeatedly that the connection problem was due to something they had done their technicians kept attempting to pass the buck to the internet provider as though this was an unrelated, coincidental problem. In one of their last attempts to solve the problem Norton remotely tried to uninstall bits of Norton 360 and asked me to manually delete and rename Norton files. As consequence I was no longer able to use the usual uninstall process or delete any Norton files after this because various names and pathways had been changed. Therefore even though my strong hunch was that it was the residual elements of Norton that were messing up my connection I could do nothing about it. The last technician, a supervisor apparently, said once I could get online they could remotely run the Norton Removal Tool. The way he spoke it sounded like the Norton Removal Tool was something only available to Norton technicians rather than mere mortals.

Fortunately at this point I phoned PC World as I have a Performance Plan with them thinking this was probably going in the direction of a complete recovery/re-format operation. The technician at PC World listened (unlike Norton staff) to the symptoms and taking note that I had working computers in the house advised me to download the Norton Removal Tool (search for it on Google - the top option should be the one on the Norton site), save it to a memory stick and run it on the computer with the fault.

As soon as I ran the Norton Removal Tool and the re-started the computer it instantly connected to the internet automatically as it had always done before.

My advice to any potential buyers of Norton 360 3.0 is that like version 2.0 it is good enough when it's working and you'll have little cause for complaint. However be cautious if contacting the Technical Support Line and be aware of the existence of the Norton Removal Tool as you may need it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2010 6:33 PM GMT

Stagg DF1222 SET Neoprene Practice Drum Pad Set - Black
Stagg DF1222 SET Neoprene Practice Drum Pad Set - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - No instructions, 31 July 2009
You may at first wonder why the lack of instructions would be a problem with something based on such a simple principle. Well of course, the pads for the four smaller drums just lay on top and do an excellent job. The problem comes with the bass pad and the two semi circular bits of neoprene attached to bits of elastic that you see in the picture of the product.

I could not fathom how to secure the bass pad and returned to the music shop where I'd bought it. The guy there (himself a drummer) who uses a different make of pad) fiddled around for 15 - 20 minutes and could not work it out. He is now going to discuss with his colleague (also a drummer) to see if he knows. Failing this they are going to consult with the Stagg rep when he is in the store on Monday - though they are sceptical that he will actually know.

Therefore buyers be warned this kit has no instructions and fitting of the bass pad is certainly not intuitive. Bizarrely the only instructions that appear on the box are about how to fit cymbal pads - which are not included in this pack.

The 2 stars are recognition for the good job the other pads do - but would increase to 4 or 5 stars if somebody can explain how to fit the bass pad

Hama 27821 Wrist Strap (Black)
Hama 27821 Wrist Strap (Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Insubstantial for larger compacts, 17 Jun. 2009
I'm really surprised two other reviewers using this with a Canon G10 gave it 5 stars. I bought it on the strength of these reviews as I too have a G10 and wanted to replace the Canon strap with something that would actually fit inside Canon's DCC 650 case when wearing it on a belt. This Hama strap is very insubstantial for use with a camera the size and weight of the G10. Maybe the thin loop that attaches the strap to the camera is stronger than it looks but I wouldn't want to rely on its strength to always take the full weight if the G10 should ever unexpectedly slip from my grasp in use.

It may be ok with smaller compacts (hence 2 stars rather than 1) but I've sent mine back. I should also warn that the picture of the product makes it look more substantial than it is in real life.

Page: 1 | 2