Profile for crystaleagle > Reviews

Content by crystaleagle

crystaleagle "crystaleagle" (Derbyshire, England)

Croydex Westminster Soap Dispenser - Chrome & Glass
Croydex Westminster Soap Dispenser - Chrome & Glass

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 10 Sep 2014
You most certainly do get what you pay for. I looked at a few of these dispensers in shops and was surprised at the prices. When I found this I thought I had sourced a cheaper version of the same thing. But this isn't the same and so I haven't put it up. The top is plastic and the whole thing just loks like a pale imitation of the more expensive ones I saw. lesson learned - there's a reason this was cheaper. That might be fine for some but I concluded it was worth paying more for something that looked nicer.

Dear Me
Dear Me
by Peter Ustinov
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappinting, 21 Jun 2012
This review is from: Dear Me (Audio CD)
I bought this to listen to on a long drive and was very disappointed in it. Peter Ustinov has always seemed an interesting character and a great raconteur, so I had high expectations. In actual fact the book itself was quite dull, but his reading of it was awful. His voice is quite a monotone, as he himself acknowledged in a section early on although obviously in quite a different context. It meant that I found I switched off as neither his voice nor what he was reading held my interest. Time would pass and I realised I hadn't heard what had been said for quite a while. It was also much shorter than I thought, although that proved to be a blessing.

Operation Sunshine
Operation Sunshine
by Jenny Colgan

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 4 Aug 2009
This review is from: Operation Sunshine (Paperback)
I have always enjoyed Jenny Colgan's books up until now but this was awful. It was so unrealistic and I was almost embarrassed for her as read it. It was an effort to keep going (for some reason I always find I have to finish a book even if it's dreadful) and, even as it got to the end, I could very easily have put it down and not bothered.

The characters in this were just not believeable. The brothers just too overdone etc etc. The storyline so far fetched it made me want to laugh (I suppose I should be glad at least something made me laugh).

I think it's fair to say I hated this.

All for Love
All for Love
by Dan Jacobson

3.0 out of 5 stars Fiction or non-fiction?, 2 Dec 2008
This review is from: All for Love (Paperback)
This book was interesting but I think it was confused as to whether it was fiction and non-fiction and so ended up being neither. I knew nothing of the story of Princess Louise and her lowly ranked soldier lover, so the premise was attractive. The author used as his sources books written by Princess Louise and her lover, Mattachich, so there were lots of direct quotes. It also used other historian's work. All these sources were footnoted which made me feel as though it was a non-fiction book, but then it was billed as a novel. I just ended up confused about what was fact and what was fiction and it detracted from my enjoyment of the book.

Emerald Germs of Ireland
Emerald Germs of Ireland
by Patrick McCabe

4.0 out of 5 stars Inventive, black, funny, 28 April 2002
I wasn't sure what to make of this book at first, but as I continued to read it the humour began to shine through and I loved it. Pat has murdered his mother, whose bed he shared, but is still haunted by her and cannot cope with others who criticise her. Each chapter is preceded by a song which cleverly sets the theme for that chapter and we follow Pat after the murder of his mother as he embarks on his life as a serial killer. Amazingly you still have sympathy with him as a character, as do the locals who blame his mother and father for the fact that he is a little strange. The book is marvellously inventive and the humour often black - read it, you'll enjoy it!

The Ogre's Laboratory
The Ogre's Laboratory
by Louis Buss

5.0 out of 5 stars superb!, 24 Oct 2001
This review is from: The Ogre's Laboratory (Paperback)
This is a superb book about the struggle of a Catholic priest to come to terms with his new position in a Surrey village, which he took over from a priest who had committed suicide. The Tudor house up in the hills fascinates Father Snow and he finds himself drawn into the legend surrounding one of its previous inhabitants and the effect he might be having on the village today. A great story of self discovery backed by a tale of mystery and intrigue.

Pause Between Acts
Pause Between Acts
by Mavis Cheek

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read, 10 Oct 2001
This review is from: Pause Between Acts (Paperback)
This is the first Mavis Cheek book I have read and I had thought it had the potential to be classic "chicklit". Not necessarily a bad thing, but something I limit my intake of. How wrong I was. This is intelligent writing - thought provoking, well drawn characters and a depth that you just don't find in chicklit.
Joan, married for just a year, is abandoned by her husband for another woman. She deals with this by shutting herself away from everyone and adopting the "fifth dimension" of a solitary life. Her only social intercourse is with her fellow school teachers, and she works hard to avoid speaking to them. She reckons without Robin and his attraction to her, which makes this harder than she would like at school, and her friendly next door neighbours who are clearly concerned about her. Through them, into her life comes the dashingly handsome actor Finbar Flynn and her solitary confinement is shattered.
I'm off to get my next Mavis Cheek book.