Profile for Title page > Reviews

Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap, The
Little Bookstore of Big Stone Gap, The
by Wendy Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars Like finding new friends, 3 Mar. 2014
I have just finished reading this charming book and I was so sad when I closed the final page as I feel as if I have lost two good friends in Wendy and her husband, Jack. I just stumbled upon this book and it sounded just right for me, which it was, as I am a mad book collector, frequenter of bookshops and member of a book club. Great that they have survived so long in the face of all the adversity which faces bricks and mortar bookshops, both new and second-hand, these days. So if you like books and reading and gentle humour you'll love this book.

Someone at a Distance (Persephone Classics)
Someone at a Distance (Persephone Classics)
by Nina Bawden

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling read, 10 Jan. 2014
This was a book club selection. My heart sank a bit when it was chosen, as a book written in the 1950s about the break down of a marriage didn't seem to promise the most exciting read. But what a wonderful surprise it turned out to be. It was truly gripping and not at all dated. A real page turner and kept you hooked to the end. Thoroughly recommend.

A Christmas Story
A Christmas Story
Dvd ~ Peter Billingsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Such fun, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A Christmas Story (DVD)
I was told about this film just before Christmas. Had never heard of it before but as we were going to be having a Chinese meal on Christmas day I was told I really should watch it and that it is a highly regarded classic in the US. Well I'm so pleased to have discovered it at last. What a great film. Such fun and a perfect portrayal of 50s America (apart from the mother's hair style which looked more like bad 70s perming). I think this is going to become one of our watch it every Christmas films (along with White Xmas and It's a Wonderful Life).

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
by John Edward Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime prose writing, 10 Jan. 2014
We read this as one of our (all women) book group selections. We all, as one voice, sung its praises. It is sad, it is frustrating, it is amusing, it is haunting and boy, oh boy is it beautifully written. We spent almost two hours discussing this remarkable work and could have gone on longer. We kept teasing out more and more impressions, images and analyses of the characters and situations. A life which on the surface is so monastic and embattled but it is the quietness of the main character and the writing which makes it so unique. I was in tears at the end of it. I urge EVERYONE to read this masterpiece and I guarantee you wont stop thinking about it and it will leave an indelible mark on you which only the best writing can.

Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life
Love, Nina: Despatches from Family Life
by Nina Stibbe

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Tedious, 10 Jan. 2014
I bought this book on the strength of all the effusive reviews which appeared in almost every national newspaper. I had an inkling that it might not be all it was cracked up to be but decided to read it anyway because I am fascinated by Alan Bennett and thought it might offer some amusing insights into this normally quite private man. Talk about Emperor's new clothes! What tedious, self serving drivel. It seems pretty clear to me that the ONLY reason this book got published was because the author (can one really describe her as such?) worked in publishing and undoubtedly kept in touch with her previous employer who is hugely well connected in the literary world. I really do wonder at the unanimous praise heaped on this tiresome little tome by some of our most respected writers. I mean come on Nick Hornby did we really read the same book? And all the descriptions of it being hugely and achingly funny. Really? Where? Some of the conversations of the two boys she was looking after raised the occasional wry smile but never laugh out loud belly laugh. In fact I think Nina Stibbe came over as really rather annoying (what is it with her and not wearing shoes?) and incredibly needy. Even after she leaves and goes to the Poly she seems to spend all her time back visiting them. Surely the only reason can have been that her very ordinary, rather boring life felt somehow more special by knowing famous and well connected people. Talk about a literary groupie. It makes me so cross to think of many potentially excellent manuscripts which may never see the light of day as a published book but this hagiography finds its way into print. Trees really should not have been cut down for this.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2014 6:39 PM BST

Stewed!
Stewed!
by Alan Rosenthal

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection of recipes, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Stewed! (Hardcover)
I don't think I have ever cooked so many recipes from a single cookbook. And all those I have tried have been delicious and more importantly they have worked.

Bad Monkey
Bad Monkey
by Carl Hiaasen

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Bad Monkey (Hardcover)
Carl Hiaasen is a wonderful writer; I enjoy most of his books though I thought his last was less good. This however is a return to his top form. There aren't any other crime writers I know of who can integrate so much humour into a gripping piece of crime fiction.

Halina Czerny-Stefanska plays Chopin
Halina Czerny-Stefanska plays Chopin

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing quality, 12 July 2013
I was so looking forward to listening to this CD but the quality of the sound is truly awful. Completely ruins any enjoyment. I shall be off loading it to the local charity shop.

Source Naturals Wellness Formula Tablets Bio-Aligned, 45 Tabs
Source Naturals Wellness Formula Tablets Bio-Aligned, 45 Tabs
Offered by Atlantic Trading from USA

5.0 out of 5 stars This is our go to remedy when feeling a cold coming on, 6 Feb. 2013
We are never without these tablets in our house. The moment we are feeling under the weather or a cold coming on; a couple of days doses of these and it goes. I have recommended them to so many people all of whom feel the same about them as us. Little short of miracle. But now of course NOT available to buy from my local health food shop because of EU regulations. Ridiculous.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2013 10:37 PM BST

BFI Antiseptic First-Aid Powder - 1.25 oz
BFI Antiseptic First-Aid Powder - 1.25 oz

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad to have found this again, 6 Feb. 2013
I used to have this powder from a UK source years ago. Then it stopped being available here. I was told by one snooty pharmacy in London while I was searching for a source of supply that it was unhygenic using antiseptic powder. So I asked him how it was more unhygenic tapping some powder into a wound than smearing a wound with cream by finger which may not be clean! So I amthrilled to be able to have this again. We always called it magic powder in our house because it does indeed help heal so quickly. EU regulations regarding pharmaceuticals have reach absurd levels now and so many old tried and tested remedies have been taken off the market.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2013 6:35 PM BST