ARRAY(0xa6d92fa8)

Profile for Iain White > Reviews

Content by Iain White

Iain White "chalky" (Thai Beach)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Running For Their Lives: The Extraordinary Story of Britain's Greatest Ever Distance Runners
by Mark Whitaker
Price: 14.39

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tale and true too, 20 Jun 2013
Very well-written and interesting tale.

Times were certainly tougher in the past for runners, and these guys were tougher than the rest.

The Hit (Will Robie 2)
The Hit (Will Robie 2)
by David Baldacci
Price: 9.26

5.0 out of 5 stars A roller-coaster of an adventure, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Hit (Will Robie 2) (Hardcover)
I think I must have read about 10 David Baldacci's this year and am addicited. Well-written yarns, plenty of mayhem, blissfully short chapters!

Keep killing 'em David!

Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red
Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red
Price: 76.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 20 Jun 2013
I might get to love this in time, forgive the pun.

Can't help comparing to my slightly more expensive Nike GPS which is much better looking and easier to use. after one run with it pleased about accuracy, but bit disappointing by lack of proper physical manuals and also the main feature I wanted the run/walk feature is totally inaudible which kind of defeats its purpose. If you have o look when the watch has switched from one mode to the other you can do the same just with a stopwatch anyway.

Am sure it has great software and great features as all my running friends who don't take Nike seriously, but give me the glitz and excitement anytime. I'm a "shallow runner"!

Nipguards Runners Nipple Protectors
Nipguards Runners Nipple Protectors
Offered by altonsports- Run and Fitness Store
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clever idea, 20 Jun 2013
Simple but clever idea. Not sure how sticky they are though ... had no problem during my first 10 miler in them but they sure came off easier than expected which slightly concerned me if they would go the distance on longer runs. Might be worrying needlessly though, so far so good.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! A brilliant book, absolutely loved it., 20 Jun 2013
Some book you love, some you hate, some you struggle to complete and then wonder why you bothered.

This has to be one of the books I've most enjoyed reading in a long time. Superb.

Full of humanity and humour with a damn fine yarn too.

Can't recommend this book enough.

Jonas Jonasson, please keep writing!

Philips Sonicare HX8111/02 AirFloss Rechargeable Power Flosser
Philips Sonicare HX8111/02 AirFloss Rechargeable Power Flosser
Offered by MedClub
Price: 69.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a giggle, 21 Dec 2011
A very good friend just bought me one for Christmas.

After being told not to use an electric toothbrush by my dentist due to painful enamel errosion(yes, and I'd even been using what a thought was a gentle Sonicare), I was very excited by this.

My first experience was puzzlement at the reservoir tank. Its so small but seems to be ok for one small wash (not the two claimed) but that isn't a big issue.

The "shot" of air/water/mouthwash is powerful and seems to have some cleaning action, which is better than doing nothing at all (confess I have loads of floss and inter-dental stimulators/brushes but don't always use.

The biggest downside is it seems to be incredibly messy, our bathroom mirror is really splattered after use. It doesn't worry me a lot though and after abandoning my Panasonic Doltz waterpic I imagine i will use this pretty regularly morning and night.

Can't attest to how it compared to tape flossing but it seems an easy and pleasant way to floss.

Get one and keep some spare toilet or kitchen roll handy.

Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World
Empires of the Word: A Language History of the World
by Nicholas Ostler
Price: 15.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of words. Good ones., 15 Nov 2011
Excellent book, written in an intelligent but non-academic way that makes reading it instructive, memorable and a joy. Highly recommend.

Jeff Galloway's RunWalkRun Interval Timer by GYMBOSS
Jeff Galloway's RunWalkRun Interval Timer by GYMBOSS

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way of training, not most robust device, 25 Feb 2011
Good bit of gear and excellent value.

Use it for Run/Walk training as recomended by Jeff Galloway as well as Cardio Circuits.

Go grab one (ps I also got the regular GYMBOSS interval trainer in grey - seems identical to me and costs same ... but looks beter)

Updated ... am now on my third one of these. Still love it's price and features but it is not brilliantly made, guess all can expect for price. Vs some other timers, very easy to read and nice loud countdown alarms.

The Last Lecture
The Last Lecture
by Randy Pausch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lecture, Great Book, Great Man, 26 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Last Lecture (Hardcover)
Loved this book so much I ordered a couple of extra copies for friends.

At end of book found a website link that takes you to the lecture itself. Both are great and both obviously cover the same topic.

If want to save a tree or a few $ you can enjoy the elcture without reading the book.

The Maltby Collection (BBC Audio)
The Maltby Collection (BBC Audio)
by David Nobbs
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 15.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, but far from his best, 8 Sep 2008
If like me you're a David Nobbs fan, then I suspect you'll enjoy this and be disappointed at the same time.

It certainly has his trademark, laid-back very British sense of humour, sadly its just not as funny as most of his books ... in print or recorded.

I'm glad i bought it. would I recommend it? Yes, to existing David Nobbs fans, no to the rest of you. Get some Reggie Perrin, Much Ado, Cupids Dates, I Didn't get Where ... etc etc first.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3