Profile for Bigfoot > Reviews

Indian Cooking
Indian Cooking
by Savitri Chowdhary

5.0 out of 5 stars The first cookery book I bought, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Indian Cooking (Hardcover)
I've had this book since some time in the early '60s, and still come back to it although I now have many books. If you have some turmeric, garam masala, fresh ginger and coriander you can make most of the recipes, unlike most books these days where you need a long string of ingredients. This does not mean all the dishes taste the same - far from it. They are in fact very varied. It's an ideal book for those wanting to try Indian cooking for the first time.

Karrimor Men's Traveller III Walking Shoe
Karrimor Men's Traveller III Walking Shoe
Price: £19.84 - £27.81

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoe for deformed feet, 15 Mar 2012
Although the shoes I ordered were the correct length, they were so narrow, and of such a generally small construction that I could not get my foot in at all. I do have fairly wide feet, and do not have toes which are pinched inwards as so many people have, but these shoes are ridiculous. Otherwise they seem OK and might suit someone with seriously deformed feet.

Sennheiser PC36 USB Plug and Play PC Headset
Sennheiser PC36 USB Plug and Play PC Headset

2.0 out of 5 stars Quiet!, 10 Jan 2012
Plugging these in directly to replace my broken set and therefore using the same settings first thing I notice is that they are much quieter than my old set. The volume borders on inadequate, and yes, I did spot the volume control in the cable and set it at maximum. I bought this to use exclusively with Skype, and it remains to be seen if they are up to the job. A lot of money compared to my accidently broken old ones - nearly 3 times the price - which at first sight seem better.

Premier Housewares Steamer with Glass Lid - 22 cm - Stainless Steel
Premier Housewares Steamer with Glass Lid - 22 cm - Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 11 Nov 2011
This steamer is light, however as it is used exclusively for boiling water that is not a problem (as far as I know saucepans are heavy to spread heat evenly). At £14.40 this is something of a bargain. It works well and is a good size for Chinese dumplings, dim sum and the like. The upper containers do not intrude much on the lower, leaving plenty of room. I spent some time looking at steamers and concluded this one looked good - after a couple of months using it I have not changed my mind.

The Step-by-step Chinese Cook Book
The Step-by-step Chinese Cook Book
by Georges Spunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be much better known, 26 Oct 2010
This is one of the best Chinese cookery books. More than just a list of recipes, it's a how to do it book. I have the impression that the highly rated book by Irene Kuo is modeled on this one. In particular, you will find recipes for braised and red-cooked dishes as well as the usual stir-fried and steamed. They are very tasty and not difficult to do. Get this book while it is unknown and very cheap second-hand.

Meyer Select Stainless Steel Saucepan, 16 cm, 1.4 Litre (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice saucepan this, 26 Oct 2010
Very nice saucepan this. I think the tall shape is very practical and probably more economical with energy too. Fair price - especially with the 20% coupon as well!

3v 4.5v 6v 7.5v 9v 12v POWER SUPPLY 500mA
3v 4.5v 6v 7.5v 9v 12v POWER SUPPLY 500mA

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 27 Jan 2010
I've had this for over a year now. I use it for the power supply to my Roberts SW radio, so it has been plugged in all the time since I got it. It still works fine, and - more importantly - so does the radio.

Lodge Combo Cooker with Shallow Skillet Lid, 3 qt (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by The Campfire Cooking Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 8 Aug 2009
I have used this every day since I bought it. It's simply perfect, as well as being very flexible given the two parts. One surprise, which I don't really understand yet, is that used on an electric hotplate it will cook at a noticeably lower setting than a similar sized stainless steel pan. I expect lower gas / electric bills because of this. Otherwise a good cast iron pan (no enamel!) is the best way to cook.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2011 8:49 PM BST

Lodge Signature Dutch Oven with Stainless Steel Handle, 7 qt, 12 Inch Diameter (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 8 Aug 2009
This pan is simply magnificent. Nothing else to say really. Stop wasting your money on Teflon junk and save up for one of these. It's a million miles ahead of the enamelled sort too.

Lloytron Eco Poise Swing Arm Desk Lamp 11W - Color: Silver & Black
Lloytron Eco Poise Swing Arm Desk Lamp 11W - Color: Silver & Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 8 Aug 2009
This lamp does seem a little flimsy. Not a good choice for the kids' bedroom maybe. Otherwise does the job very well. Would be better with the switch on the base rather than on the head, but in general a good buy for the price.

Page: 1 | 2