Profile for Geordie M > Reviews

Mask Head Chin Strap Vampire
Mask Head Chin Strap Vampire
Offered by Jesters Party Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mask, but tight, 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Mask Head Chin Strap Vampire (Toy)
This mask certainly did its job as part of a Halloween costume. It's design allows you to keep it on whilst conversing, eating and drinking. However, the strap under the chin was tight on me and as the night wore on it started to get uncomfortable. This is not a fault of the product, however, but if your head is on the 'larger' side, then this mask may not be for you.

Vampires: The Myths, Legends, and Lore
Vampires: The Myths, Legends, and Lore
by Aubrey Sherman

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting snippets about Vampires, 25 Nov. 2014
I have a number of books on Vampire lore and legend, and I've got to say that this is one of my favourites. Although the book is quite small, it is beautifully presented; it can be picked up, read and put back down very conveniently. It is a welcome addition to my collection.

The Vampire Lovers [Blu-ray] [1970] [US Import]
The Vampire Lovers [Blu-ray] [1970] [US Import]
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars A hidden Hammer gem, 25 Nov. 2014
Although a fan of Hammer Films, I could not recall seeing this movie prior to reading about it a couple of years ago. I bought it out of curiosity, but did not have high expectations for it - I was pleasantly surprised. The story itself is a retelling of the Le Fanu novella Carmilla and, although not totally faithful, uses enough of the original story to tell a solid one of its own.

The movie contains more nudity and sexuality than the usual Hammer fare, but this was the studio trying to meet the more liberated tastes of movie goers back in 1971, apparently. Don't be put off by this as it is essential to the story and does not spoil the film in the least. The film is well made and is now one of my favourite Hammer movies.

The extras included in this imported Blu-ray, although few, are very good and definitely worth watching.

I'm really glad I made this purchase and can see myself revisiting this movie time and again.

The Wolves in the Walls (Book & CD)
The Wolves in the Walls (Book & CD)
by Neil Gaiman

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique story and pictures, 25 Nov. 2014
I enjoy Neil Gaman's work, as does my son - Coraline and Stardust - but when first looking through this book I thought that it may be too mature and scary for a bedtime story. However, he was fascinated by both the story and the artwork.

Owlman New 52 DC Collectibles Super Villains Action Figure
Owlman New 52 DC Collectibles Super Villains Action Figure
Offered by a1 Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Great detail, 25 Nov. 2014
I bought this for my son, who is a big fan of the Earth 2 DC cartoon. He absolutely loves this figure. The detail in it is phenomenal and it would best suit being a collectible, probably. However, it is robust enough to withstand the rigours of play time from a five year old.

Hellboy: The First 20 Years
Hellboy: The First 20 Years
by Mike Mignola

3.0 out of 5 stars A pictorial celebration, 25 Nov. 2014
I bought this book with the expectation that it would give a history of the character, with some insights from the creator and other collaborators. Although it's beautifully presented, the bulk of the book is merely covers and frames lifted directly from the comics.

I have enjoyed looking through it, and have picked it back up to browse through a couple of times, but, ultimately, have been disappointed in it.

Batman Beyond: Return of Joker [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Batman Beyond: Return of Joker [DVD] [2001] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Batman of the Future story and well told., 25 Nov. 2014
I bought this for my son as he is a big fan of Batman of the Future (the British name of the cartoon). He thoroughly enjoyed it - so did the rest of the family - and has watched it numerous times since.

If you're a fan of the Batman of the Future cartoon and concept, I highly recommend this movie.

Nosferatu Fangs with Dental Putty ~ Vampire ~ Halloween ~ Witch
Nosferatu Fangs with Dental Putty ~ Vampire ~ Halloween ~ Witch
Offered by Marlowe Costumes

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective Fangs!, 25 Nov. 2014
These fangs were exactly what I was after for a Halloween costume. They were easy to fit and, once in, were very secure; the experience to moulding them is comparable to fitting a gumshield.

Bouts of Insanity: Famous Fights from the Edge of Ludicrousness
Bouts of Insanity: Famous Fights from the Edge of Ludicrousness

5.0 out of 5 stars When fighting IS funny!!!, 5 Oct. 2014
I read this book after it was recommended to me, and I have not been disappointed. The book's narrative is a commentary provided by two American style fight commentators at fights between random figures from history. Some of the match-ups are funny just by the surreal nature of their pairing, but the authors have obviously put a lot of effort into capturing the essence of each character. Although the fights and subsequent results are, as the title indicates, ludicrous, they are made all the more funny due to the recognised idiosyncrasies and "achievements" of the characters which the authors have used. I can see myself revisiting this book and finding something new each time.

Highly recommended and on sale at a good price.

The Lottery and Other Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)
The Lottery and Other Stories (Penguin Modern Classics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister, 7 Sept. 2014
I'd read the hype surrounding Shirley Jackson's work, but the majority of it was in relation to her novels. However, I thought I would give her short stories a go first. I have not been disappointed. Each story is a masterclass in building tension and creating discomfort without resorting to easy tactics. Although the are short stories, each one is fully rounded and draws you in. Well worth a read and a good appetite wetter for her novels.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3