Profile for Geordie M > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Soul That Screamed
The Soul That Screamed

5.0 out of 5 stars Original modern Gothic literature, 24 Jun 2014
I bought this book based on an article I had seen about a story which this author had written (which is included in this collection). As a fan of Gothic horror I was intrigued by the article; the book went beyond my expectations.

Dan Weatherer has a talent for developing stories and building tension with very few words. Although his characters a quite stereotypical of their archetypes, this approach allows him to skillfully develop the story; at the end of each, you feel like you have been presented with a complete tale, not just a snap shot of one.

The stories feel familiar, but up to date. I must admit that I, personally, like my horror movies and stories to have a certain predictability. However, to write something familiar, put an original slant on it and make it feel like something totally new takes a particular skill, and this author appears to have done it effortlessly.

I really enjoyed these stories and look forward to seeing how this new author's writing develops in future publications.

Dracula Di Dario Argento
Dracula Di Dario Argento
Dvd ~ Asia Argento
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Dario Argento does Hammer!, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Dracula Di Dario Argento (Blu-ray)
I admire Dario Argento's work, although I wouldn't class myself as a fan, so I was keen to see what he would do with Dracula, of which I'm a huge fan; I was extremely impressed!

The story is loosely based on Hammer's Horror of Dracula, where Jonathan Harker arrives at Castle Dracula to take up the role of librarian. From this premise, the story takes its own direction. As you can imagine, there is gore but not a huge amount. The main protagonists are portrayed in a completely new light from any other adaption I have seen before.

The movie is Italian and can be viewed dubbed. The actors are obviously saying the dialogue in English, but the soundtrack is lip synched. However, the movie is so well made (as you would expect from its Director) that this does not take away from its enjoyment; this is one of my favorite takes on the character.

I would strongly recommend this movie to any fan of the source material; it is a movie I will revisit time and again.

Whitstable
Whitstable

4.0 out of 5 stars Well researched;, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Whitstable (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on the back of reading Peter Cushing's combined memoirs. I read a review in a magazine which intrigued me, and the price of the book was really good. I have to say that this book did not disappoint.

As the content of the memoirs were still fresh in my mind, it was obvious that the author had done his homework when pulling together certain aspects of the story; he capture both the character and time that the book is set in perfectly. A lot of story is fitted into the novella, but it never feels rushed. Some of the content is uncomfortable to read (this is not a bad thing, considering its subject matter) but it is well constructed and sympathetically done, to both the characters and story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has even a passing interest in the Hammer Legend, or in a pacy thriller. I will be looking out for other work by this author.

Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
Eats shoots and leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
by Lynne Truss

5.0 out of 5 stars Punctuation, but fun!, 3 Nov 2013
Even if you have a solid grasp of punctuation, this book offers an alternative way for the reader to obtain an even greater grasp without knowing that they are being educated.

The prose and examples are done in such an inventive manner - the author's frustrations at bad punctuation scream from the pages - that you can't help but continue to read it.

This book is unique.

Room 237 [DVD]
Room 237 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rodney Ascher
Offered by FilmloverUK

2.0 out of 5 stars Grasping at straws, 29 Oct 2013
This review is from: Room 237 [DVD] (DVD)
After reading a feature on this documentary in Empire magazine, I was really looking forward to watching it; after watching it, however, I wished that I had just left my interest within the pages of Empire.

Some of the theories laid out within this DVD, about Stanley Kubrick's claustrophobic horror film, are ridiculous - and they're the better ones! I actually found myself laughing out loud at one theorist's explanations behind his suggested allegory, as he merely gave a narrative of what was taking place within the scene being viewed!! My second star, and only interesting theory contained, is for the well explained 'Stanley Kubrick filmed the moon landings' allegory.

My advice: just watch The Shining for what it is, an extremely well made movie; don't waste precious viewing time on this 'documentary', your life isn't long enough.

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display
Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Touch Screen Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and easy to use., 6 Dec 2012
I bought this as a present for my wife, who reads books at an alarming rate, and she loves it. It she takes it all over with her and finds it extremely easy to use and convenient to transport. It has also opened up a vast amount of 'free reading' to her from the Kindle store. Since buying this product, she has exclusively bought Kindle books.

Wicked Socker Boppers Powerbag Inflatable Boxing Bag (Orange)
Wicked Socker Boppers Powerbag Inflatable Boxing Bag (Orange)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as robust as it should be., 6 Dec 2012
We bought the Socker-Bopper gloves for our son and decided to get this to stop him from hitting us! Although he only used it sporadically the base, which we had filled with water, punctured internally. For a product that's sole purpose is to be hit, this is surprisingly 'delicate'. Not impressed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2012 10:08 AM GMT

Plastic halloween knife
Plastic halloween knife
Offered by Wild Nights

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but not nasty!, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Plastic halloween knife (Toy)
This was bought as an accessory to a Halloween costume and, as such, did it's job. However, it was the price of this product which has earned it the five stars; it would've cost me more in bus fares or parking fees and petrol had I traveled to buy this product. Also, the product itself, although only for aesthetic effect, is surprisingly well made.

Michael Myersİ Halloween Adult Mask
Michael Myersİ Halloween Adult Mask
Offered by Costumes By Buy Feathers

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the lazy fancy dress occasion!, 6 Dec 2012
This mask got a great reaction when worn for a Halloween party; the picture of the product does not do it justice! A boiler suit, a fake knife and this mask - Job done. However, the mask is hot - it is a full head mask - and the hair is extremely unruly. Had I not used hairpins to control it people wouldn't have known if I was Michael Myers or Beetlejuice!! For the price,though, it comes recommended.

6 Pack Screen Protector For New Apple iPad 4, Apple iPad 3, Apple iPad 2 Tablet Includes Microfibre Cleaning Cloth And Application Card
Offered by iBox Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy!, 6 Dec 2012
Easy to apply, fit for purpose (with a quality feel about them) and at an extremely reasonable price. Don't bother with more expensive products, this one does the job as well as any others - highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2