Profile for S. Coleman > Reviews

Content by S. Coleman

S. Coleman "pootercommuter" (Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating set for serious dino fans..., 1 Oct. 2012
I wasn't entirely sure what kind of fossils this set would include, but was tempted to try it by the discounted price at the time of purchase!

Actually, it's a very good buy for any serious dinosaur fan, or anyone with an interest in these periods in history. The set comes in a box that was, I admit, smaller than I'd imagined it would be, but then again I hadn't put much thought into how much room you'd need to put a few fossil fragments in! It's about the size of a large pencil case, I'd say.

Anyway - you have wood chips inside the box, along with a bubble-wrap layer to protect the fossils, and there are a good few little plastic baggies inside, each containing a particular fossil or fossil fragment. The bags are labelled so you know what the contents are and also what dig/where they were found. It's mainly ice age fossils, btw, so don't expect any T-rex fragments or anything!

There is a corresponding authenticity certificate for each fossil, plus a leaflet explaining what the creature the fossil came from looked like in its entirety, where they were from, how old the fossil is etc. etc.

It's definitely NOT a toy, and is clearly labelled as such on the box - these are genuine, precious and fascinating items from this period in history and therefore I would suggest you only buy these if you yourself are a serious collector/fan, or if it's for a young person who can treat them with the respect they deserve. For instance, some of the fossils are of shark's teeth and are consequently very sharp, plus of course the very nature of the items make them fragile and not conducive to rough handling.

A great, educational set - would recommend them for any serious fan.

Coleman Instant 4 Family Tent - Green/White
Coleman Instant 4 Family Tent - Green/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, stable and very weatherproof!, 13 Jun. 2012
Just got back from 10 days in very rainy, very windy Norfolk using this tent, and am delighted with it.

I was looking for a bit more space for storage, with the convenience of stand-up height and the essential ability to be able to pitch and take down the tent single-handed (on my own with a 4 year old!), and this definitely fits the bill.

The space in the living area in this is enormous - I managed to get a long shelf unit plus a 4-person size folding table along one wall of the living area, it's that big. Under those fitted the coolbox, the EHU and all the other gubbins, so basically that left us with the whole remainder of the living area for actually 'living' in, which is a first for us!! Easily got two big reclining loungers plus another low-height coffee table in the remaining room, so were in the lap of luxury by our standards. Good thing too given the ruddy awful weather we had - spent a LOT of time in that living area!

As it was just the two of us, I unzipped the central divider in the bedrooms to open it up into one, massive bedroom instead, which I jokingly referred to as my bedroom & dressing room. However, that's exactly what it was for me - we really did use one half to sleep in and the other half to get dressed in with the no see-um mesh providing perfect privacy.

What I do love about this tent aside from the room size is the versatility of the windows. The side windows have roll away blinds, and the door has a half-moon window that can be fully opened out, or have a bug-net mesh window zipped up, or also a blind too - depends on the weather. The windows of the bedroom can also be opened fully, or be half opened with bug mesh preventing any little nasties getting in, whilst still enabling you to air them.

The zips on the door are, as another reviewer said, rather irritating though - that's my only negative. We found the one that goes up one of the sides of the door didn't have a stopper at the bottom of it, so annoyingly, the zipper kept falling down the end of the zip and completely off the end of it, so I had many occasions where I had to (in the rain) re-attach it from the outside. I ended up sticking a safety pin on the bottom to prevent the zipper falling off the end, but surely that shouldn't be necessary - bit of a design flaw, I'd say. That's the only downside though.

Yes the carry bag is also massive - I had to fold down the rear seats in my (estate) car to fit it in, plus it weighs a ton, so not a hiking tent, putting it midldy! You'd need to be able to park next to where you're pitching to be able to lug this one there without getting a hernia.

However, we had gale force winds and awful rain, and the tent poles never shifted at all, all the pegs stayed in the ground, not a drop of rain came inside the tent and basically we were comfy and dry the whole time. I think this tent is going to last us a good few seasons now, so very very pleased with it. And it genuinely is easy as pie to pitch and take down - I'm a 5.6" woman and managed it with absolutely no probs at all, single-handed.

Thoroughly recommend this one.

Paul Lamond Scooby Doo Scooby Snacks Card Game
Paul Lamond Scooby Doo Scooby Snacks Card Game
Offered by produXa UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun!, 30 April 2012
I got this for an upcoming camping trip with my 4 year old, but we opened it 'early' to try it out first, and absolutely love it!

We have spent (literally) hours and hours playing this simple, easy to learn game.

The basic idea is that you deal 6 cards to each player, placing the remainder of the deck face down on the table. You turn the top card on the deck over to show which 'type' of card starts play.

Each player has to lay down a card from their 6 originally dealt, which has to match either the colour, number or snack type shown on the one that was turned face up on the table.

You keep doing it until you can get rid of all your cards, but it's livened up by 'Scooby Snack' cards which you can play at any time to change the colour in play, plus 'Monster Cards' which force the next player to pick up an extra two cards from the deck.

It says it's for 6yr olds on the pack but honestly, you can easily teach this to younger kids, so don't be put off by that. My daughter absolutely loves it and usually thrashes me at it!

Great fun - this'll be perfect when we're inside the tent in the rain, which we'll no doubt get on our camping trip!

Sistema Microwave Soup Mug - 656 ml
Sistema Microwave Soup Mug - 656 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful item, 25 April 2012
As most other reviewers have said, this is a cracking item and well worth getting, in my 'umble...

I specifically wanted a BPA-free microwavable mug, as had found out about the dangers of heating up plastic food containers when I became a mum and read about it in relation to bottle-feeding etc. Scared me enough to go looking for BPA-free items immediately!

Anyway - safety issues aside, this mug is fantastic! It's a really good size - not only can it take 'normal' can of soup, but it also takes a whole carton of the fresh soups you can buy (think Covent Garden Soup Company type cartons). The plastic doesn't get hot, the handle is massive so no danger of dropping it, the lid and vent keep the food perfectly hot and mean absolutely no mess inside the microwave is possible. It's also very sturdy and well-made, so feels a very high quality item.

I use this at work for my lunch each day now and have bought an extra one for my daughter for when we go camping (yes, I do have a microwave for going camping!)...

Well worth it. Thoroughly recommend it.

Kampa (ME0530) Bubble 1L Electric Kettle
Kampa (ME0530) Bubble 1L Electric Kettle
Offered by Leisure Fayre

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camping kettle, 12 April 2012
I was looking for an upgrade to a bog-standard, very cheap little travel kettle I'd inherited from friends, but was a bit wary as these kettles all seem a bit pricey if you're only using them on the odd camping trip. Then I remembered how 'orrible the limescaley morning cup of coffee was from the old, cheapy kettle and how it leaked, dribbled and generally irritated me, and realised that actually it's definitely worth spending a bit more for a decent one!

I specifically wanted one that was cordless, partly so the kettle sat 'impaled' onto the little ridge thing that holds it in place on the base and therefore couldn't be knocked over inside the tent like the cheapy corded one I had did. Also though, because I always got so irritated with the corded one which I had to physically unplug from the electric hook-up to pour out, because the cord was so short it barely reached the table surface I had it on and was stretched taut already. Cordless just seemed safer and more convenient for my uses.

There aren't that many cordless ones on the market at good prices, but I saw this one and that it had the built in filter in the spout (anyone who's had a morning cup of 99% limescale to 1% coffee will know how useful a filter is!) and of course it's the right kind of size for camping, at 1 litre capacity.

Admittedly, I've only used it today at home to test it out, but on initial usage, the boil is quite fast for a low-wattage kettle, and there were no dribbles or steamy leaks from the lid like other ones I've had, even when virtually full to the brim. I also love the way the lid opens - it's a simple push-button in the middle of the lid that pops it open automatically - no cheapy plastic catches that warp and don't close properly on this! The cord also can be stored in the underside of the base bit by wrapping it around the cable-tidy that's a part of the base. Also, you can see how much water is in the kettle as the front of it is semi-transparent and has a gauge on it, so no more "shake and guess" as to whether there's enough for a full cuppa!

It's very lightweight and won't take up much room when packed, so all in all, I reckon I've found the perfect kettle for my uses.

If you need something similar, I'd definitely recommend it - I think it's well worth the price.

Portable Desk Stand / Desk Holder / Cradle / Phone Holder / Wall Mount for Mobile Phones / Smartphones / PDAs

5.0 out of 5 stars Good-looking and well made, 7 Mar. 2012
I just wanted something to hold my phone when I use it as an MP3 player with separate speakers, just to kind of give it all a 'tidy' and co-ordinated look.

This one caught my eye because it's smart-looking and appeared a bit more durable and versatile than others, being made mainly of metal and also able to hold the phone at any angle you want. That's down to the (I think) silicone pad you get, which just attaches to the back piece of the stand which the phone leans on, and holds the phone very securely. It's not 'sticky' like glue, btw - there's no residue on the phone after contact with the silicone pad or anything - the phone just sort of 'clings' to it.

The stand itself is made of solid metal and is hinged at the bottom, with good, solid bolts. I cannot see this thing being bent or warped in any way through normal usage, so it's definitely sturdy.

It was also provided with another base mat (not shown in the picture), to stop any slippage if you were resting it on a smooth or tilted surface, but I didn't need to use that as it rests perfectly well on the wooden surface I have mine on. Useful to have though.

All in all, a very well-made product at a good price.

Aquabourne Wind up & Solar Radio AM/FM/WB, splash proof. V2 high output solar panel
Offered by Home & Travel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, compact little radio, 7 Mar. 2012
I got this mainly for camping trips, as didn't want something expensive, electrical and non-water-resistant in a tent! This is a great little radio for that.

I also use it at home most nights and although, as other reviewers have said, the sound quality isn't amazing, it's exactly as good as you'd expect from a radio like this. I wasn't at all surprised or disappointed with the quality - it was just as I thought it would be.

So far, I haven't solar-charged it and have been using the crank handle instead, but with that, I've found just a small amount of winding will give me a good 20 mins of listening time, which is just right if you have it on whilst doing the washing up or whatever!

My only concern with this, which obviously isn't an issue yet because I've only recently got mine, is that some of the wind-up battery products I've had in the past (specifically those wind-up torches you can get) have always completely died on me after a few months when I've forgotten to wind them regularly... I suspect it might be the same with this type of item too, so probably only worth buying if you really are going to use it regularly and keep it charged, rather than for a short period each year such as a camping holiday...

Great little radio though - very pleased with it.

Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II (2.0) Multimedia Speakers with BasXPort Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect smartphone MP3 speakers, 4 Mar. 2012
I was originally looking for a docking station for my smartphone when playing MP3s, but could only find one android-compatible one on the market, and having listened to it during a visit to my local Curry's (sorry Curry's!), I was SO disappointed with the sound quality, so went looking at separate speakers instead.

I found these by pure accident after looking at brands like Bose and seeing these had come highly recommended as an alternative at a much lower price - and I couldn't agree more.

The sound quality is absolutely fantastic on these - the bass is rich and warm and the clarity is really amazing. I'm using them in a (fairly large) bedroom, as they're a nice, compact size so hardly any space needed, with my smartphone on a little stand in between them. The volume can go up pretty loud (by my standards, anyway!!) with no distortion or loss of quality - really is crystal clear sound and an absolute pleasure to listen to.

I also know this is a very 'girly' comment to make and may be something everyone else except me knew already (!!), but the photo shows the speakers looking quite ugly and 'industrial' (in my 'umble), with those yellow rings showing, but they actually have that black fabric webbing that you expect to find on speakers (there's probably a perfectly good technical name for it that I'm not cool enough to know about!) which covers all of that up, so they actually look very slick and tasteful in the flesh!

Anyway - I've read that some other separate speakers have caused problems when people have used smartphones with them as you'd get an awful distortion as soon as the phone is near to them - and this particular brand and model were recommended as being one of the best available with no such problems associated. Exactly how I've found it to be, anyway - really cannot recommend these enough.

butterfly flowers child sizes Ring
butterfly flowers child sizes Ring

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but rather large for a young child, 31 Dec. 2011
I bought 3 different designs of these rings, and the seller sent them through extremely quickly and perfectly packaged.

They are, I must say, nice quality rings - the ring itself is made of sturdy, solid metal and has the split at the back which means you can squeeze it to make it smaller. However, for my 4yr old, I had to squeeze the ring until it distorted out of shape to get it small enough to fit her fingers. She's still perfectly happy with them, but unfortunately it did mean that where the split is at the back, the way the ring had distorted left the two ends sticking out a bit rather than overlapping nicely. This meant they did get caught on clothing a bit.

However, if you just want very good quality dress-up jewellery for a littlun' I would recommend these as the service and quality was so good - just do be aware that you'll probably have to distort the ring shape to get them small enough to fit very young fingers. Probably better for older children.

Seaworld Aquarium Lamp
Seaworld Aquarium Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids who are too young for 'real' fish!!, 31 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Seaworld Aquarium Lamp
This was a christmas pressie for my 4yr old, who absolutely loves fish and is always dragging me by the hand to the tropical fish shop in our local garden centres, but I didn't dare fork out the huge prices for a heated fish tank and all the associated gubbins as I know she's simply too young to properly care for 'real' fish, even with my help (suspect they'd be fed sweeties and 'picked up' for cuddles!!).

Anyway, this was a happy compromise - it's not the most 'wowie' product you'll ever see as an adult, but to a 4yr old it's great! It's basically like a mini tv set, but with nice, clear wavy plastic on the front, which gives it the 'watery' effect. The fish themselves are various, brightly coloured cutouts that gently float around in a continuous loop, which when combined with the wavy glass gives a rather sweet and good enough fish tank effect - and although I wouldn't go so far as to say it's 'realistic', they are at least proper fish and not cartoon ones! It seems sturdy enough as an item, gives out a nice light so could even be used as a night light (although perhaps a rather bright one), but in any case, it's a lovely addition to a child's bedroom as a pretend pet. Oh, and a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to look after!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7