Profile for S. Coleman > Reviews

Content by S. Coleman

S. Coleman "pootercommuter" (Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Casio CDP-120 with Stand and Headphones
Casio CDP-120 with Stand and Headphones
Offered by Fair Deal Music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value package, great service from the seller, 24 Feb. 2014
I'd seen other sellers offering this piano, but none with the stand (and headphones, although the stand was the main thing I was interested in), at such good value. I'm delighted with it - a lot of that is down to the excellent service from the seller (Norman's Music) who delivered it early, in perfect condition - but the piano itself is exactly what I was after. I used to play as a child/teen, and now in my 40s I wanted to start playing again, but without the weight, size and noise level a 'real' piano would involve, and without all the bells and whistles available on the more expensive models (I don't need those!). This is the perfect compromise - it's a full-size keyboard, but takes up far less depth than a normal piano would, so this really doesn't take up much room at all as a furniture item, and of course being digital and being able to plug in headphones means I can make as much noise as I like without upsetting the rest of the household! The piano sound is very authentic - I probably won't be using the strings or harpsichord sound settings myself, but it's always nice to have something extra for my young daughter to mess around with! The manual that comes with the piano is nice and clear, and it's very easy to work out how to use all the various extra settings (such as the weight response of the keys, reverb, how to plug it into a computer etc)... so yes, if you're after just a plain vanilla piano, but taking up less room/weight/expense, and without the noise, then this is perfect! Absolutely worth the money.

How to Draw 101 Dinosaurs
How to Draw 101 Dinosaurs
by Barry Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! Just right for young kids..., 7 Feb. 2014
My 6 year old loves dinosaurs, so I thought this would be a great way of encouraging her to have a go at drawing some... This book is really perfect for it!

There is a huuuuuge selection of dinos to choose from - some I'd never even heard of - along with the 'favourites' you'd expect to find. The pages of the book are very simple and easy for a child to follow - each page has 2 different dinos to draw. The drawings are laid out in very simple, gradual stages - i.e. you do the curve of the head, neck and back... then add the facial features... then add the belly, then the legs etc... very simple, very easy-to-follow stages. The final stage is to add 'detail' such as a pattern of the skin, but obviously your child can use their own imagination too for that.

Literally on first ever go, my daughter produced 6, very recognisable dinos that very closely resembled the ones in the book - and she thoroughly enjoyed doing it! As the first one came out so well and she realised how easy to follow this book was, she gained the confidence to do more, and that's how we ended up with 6 in a row!! We're still only a few pages into the book, too.... loads more to do yet!

I'd definitely recommend it.

Foil It! Furry Friends (Foil Art Activity Kit)
Foil It! Furry Friends (Foil Art Activity Kit)
by Peter Pauper Press
Edition: Misc. Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an enjoyable craft activity, 7 Feb. 2014
My 6 year old is absolutely obsessed with doing foil art these days - I'd never heard of, or seen this stuff before until my daughter went for a playdate at a friend's house who had some, and she came back raving about it! It's a very easy-to-learn way of creating beautiful stickers... I now have my laptop, my kindle, my mobile, cupboard doors etc. etc. all covered with little foil art sticker 'gifts' my daughter has given me over recent weeks - she's THAT obsessed!!!

You basically have a sheet of pop-out sticker shapes, and several square sheets of glittery-looking foil. You simply peel off the sticker's surface (they come of in small sections according to the details of the particular shape you're working on - i.e. with an animal, the eyes are one set of stickers, the nose another, the ears another etc. etc.) so you can pick and choose which colour of foil you use for each part of the animal/shape. You then just place the foil onto the sticker, and rub it so it comes off onto the sticky surface... and voila! You end up with a beautiful, colourful, glittery, shimmery set of stickers which your child has added their own, personal touch to.

We've bought a few of these sets now - I think unless you already know what foil art (or Foil It as this brand is called) actually is, it's very hard to know what you're getting for your money, but it's definitely worth the outlay... Try it - really - it's addictive, and I've joined in doing some of the sets with my daughter too - it's a very nice, creative activity.

Mother of Pearl & 925 Sterling Silver Ring
Mother of Pearl & 925 Sterling Silver Ring
Offered by DTPSilver

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased - seems very good quality, 13 Jan. 2014
It's always a bit of a risk buying jewellery online, but I'm very pleased with this ring. It's good quality and just chunky enough to feel solid and durable, without 'getting in the way' or catching on clothing or anything. The mother of pearl of pearl squares look very well embedded in their settings - I was slightly worried that they might come loose or fall out after everyday wear, but so far, they're definitely staying intact and I haven't taken the ring off even for a second since buying it, have done housework wearing it etc. so it's been through its paces! I would definitely recommend this and think the price is very reasonable for the quality and appeal of the ring - it's really very pretty, and I love the unusual design. It's about an inch high, at it's widest point, if you can picture that as being the size when worn, and is therefore just enough of a statement to be noticed, without being 'in your face'. Arrived very quickly, too. Really pleased with it.

Large Feather wings White Fancy Dress Adult one size
Large Feather wings White Fancy Dress Adult one size
Offered by Character Fancy Dress

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally good value for a quality item, 3 Jan. 2014
I was delighted with these - ordered them for my daughter's nativity play, and despite them saying they're adult size, you can easily adjust for a child by simply tying a knot in the two elasticated arm straps to make them smaller, which hold the wings in place. They are made with real feathers - not the 'arts & crafts' type that are all stringy and bits come off on your clothes - proper feathers! Really, really well made and have survived all the rehearsals, being shoved in a plastic carrier bag and got out/put on by a 6 year old several times... and they look great! What more could you want!

Ravage: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel
Ravage: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 1 Nov. 2013
I usually only buy this sort of book when I'm in the mood for a really trashy, quick and easy read, and consequently my hopes are never all that high with them, but I was pleasantly surprised by this! It's a cracking read. Very fast-paced, the characters are all credible, the story is well thought out, the setting for most of the action is pretty unique, and it has a few good 'twists' on the traditional zombie plot/cliches. Would definitely recommend this if you fancy a decent read in this genre - treat yourself!

Dinosaur Stencil Book (Stencil Books)
Dinosaur Stencil Book (Stencil Books)
by Alice Pearcey

5.0 out of 5 stars Good variety and easy to use, 27 Feb. 2013
I love almost everything Usborne do and this is another great addition to our collection. The book is a heavy, solid one with thick cardboard 'pages', which have the actual stencils sunken into them, which are removable, so can be lifted out entirely and placed onto a drawing pad. The fact that they are placed back into the sunken gap between the book pages means they shouldn't get lost, either!

The thick cardboard of the stencil has a detailed background picture of plants, other wildlife etc. as well as the actual stencil outline, giving ideas to your child as to what they could draw around the dino once they've done the basic stencil drawing, to make a more detailed picture. The outline of the stencil itself is wide enough that you can easily use a thick felt-tip pen to draw it with, unlike some of the cheaper plastic ones that you can only get the most finely-sharpened pencil into which can be problematic for younger kids.

All the 'expected' dinos are here and there are more than one stencil per page, so good value and you get a decent variety. Would definitely recommend this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 5:21 PM GMT

Schleich Spinosaurus
Schleich Spinosaurus
Offered by GASCHers

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, detailed, sturdy..., 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Schleich Spinosaurus (Toy)
I've bought some others of the Schleich dinos over the years for my littlun, and they're always very realistic-looking and well made. I have to admit, I hadn't really appreciated how big this one was as I'm useless at visualising sizes quoted in centimetres - I was expecting a pocket-sized one in my head, but my daughter was thrilled when a huge box arrived! This is about a foot long - it's a really good size and has the 'wow' factor any dino fan will love. Well painted, good quality and nice to have a slightly less common dino to add to the collection. Also, this arrived almost immediately, so top marks to the seller!

Dinosaur Stegosaurus 14 Inches Figure
Dinosaur Stegosaurus 14 Inches Figure

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money!, 28 Jan. 2013
What a great toy... All children have their 'dinosaur phase', and my daughter's is lasting a good few years so far, so finding a decent new toy and getting value for money makes for a very happy mum!

This is a really nice, big, size, lightweight (so even little ones can carry it easily) and colourful. It's not a 'soft' plastic though - so isn't movable or anything, but I knew that when I ordered it.

I would thoroughly recommend this for value for money, as getting similar dino toys at this size and quality usually costs a helluvalot more - this one's become one of my daughter's favourites now!

Would thoroughly recommend.

Children Coloful Twist Transformable Magic Cube Puzzle Toy
Children Coloful Twist Transformable Magic Cube Puzzle Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value - would be good party bag filler, 28 Jan. 2013
This did take a while to come through in the post, but I was absolutely prepared for that as the advert clearly says it will have a longer delivery time. However, for sheer value for money, this is great. I got it as a stocking filler for my 5yr old, but actually, this'd be a great party bag filler too.

It's well made, nice and compact, and colourful... what else can you say?! My daughter plays with it a lot, even though she usually just ends up making various 'snake' shapes with it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7