Profile for S. C. Fullilove > Reviews

Content by S. C. Fullilove

S. C. Fullilove

Vaccine
Vaccine

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for the pretentious and narrow minded Posford fans, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: Vaccine (Audio CD)
If you were to listen to this album without knowing that it was the latest work of Simon Posford and his band Younger Brother, you could reasonably label it pop-rock. That is the one and only reason certain fans have turned their nose up at this LP.
'Vaccine' is rarely, and only vaguely, reminiscent of the Younger Brother we already know. However, if you are a lover of music, you will be lucky enough to appreciate this frankly beautiful and infinitely moving new side of Posford's musical personality. This is songwriting and musical composition at its finest, and the production is as mind-blowing as it is has been with Posford's other projects (Shpongle, Hallucinogen, Celtic Cross, The Infinity Project). We can only wish that 'pop music' was remotely as polished and vibrant as the music on this album. 'Vaccine' proves that Posford's genius and appreciation of music knows no boundaries, unlike the tastes of some of his more unfortunate fans.

Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland
Ineffable Mysteries from Shpongleland

5.0 out of 5 stars One of their best, 18 April 2011
While I believe Shpongle can do no wrong, I like to consider myself an unbiased listener; if Shpongle release a bad product, I'll not shy from acknowledging it. For example, I feel 'Tales Of The Inexpressible', while featuring some of Shpongle's best work such as 'Dorset Perception', would have been more enjoyable with better segways between tracks, and I resented their decision to split tracks up quite so much on 'Nothing Last... But Nothing Is Lost'.

'Ineffable Mysteries' has been singled out by a lot of people as the point where Shpongle have 'lost their magic', and are recycling old ideas. I disagree vehemently with this view. While the three other Shpongle LPs are extremely diverse, this one draws on all of them. This, combined with the clean-cut mixes and typically stellar production gives this album a feeling of absolute refinement, as though Shpongle are beginning to accept their rightful place as the Kings of psychedelic electronic music.

I believe anyone who likes Shpongle's previous work but is unimpressed with this effort simply needs to spend more time with it. If you are new to Shpongle, start at the beginning with 'Are You Shpongled?', which remains my favourite of their releases and gets brought out practically every time I am Shpongled.

Shpongle's music has never felt like it came from this world, and this album is the one to take you to where it comes from: Shpongleland.

Did I mention that they finally got their hands on a Hang Drum?