Profile for S. Lane > Reviews

The Camomile Lawn [DVD]
The Camomile Lawn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Felicity Kendal

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 21 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Camomile Lawn [DVD] (DVD)
too dated

Keane (2 Disc Edition) [DVD]
Keane (2 Disc Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Damian Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 21 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Keane (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
Boring.

The Big C - Season 3 [DVD]
The Big C - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laura Linney
Offered by Door2DoorEnt

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing Oliver Platt, 10 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Big C - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
Can't rate season 3 yet. I haven't bought it because after Oliver Platt "died", I could not see how the series could be as good as it was before his demise. The reviews are not encouraging. I probably won't buy it unless someone tells me that Platt is brought back somehow in season 3 or 4...?

Au Revoir to All That Publisher: Bloomsbury USA
Au Revoir to All That Publisher: Bloomsbury USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of information for people who care about the state of our food culture, 20 Dec. 2013
First, I am an American who has lived in France for 7 years now. I grew up on the French myth that every French woman is thin and stylish and that it is impossible to find a bad meal in this country. So imagine my disappointment to see that once I moved here, both expectations were dispelled. I will say though that the reality here is still "better" than the reality in the US.
France is indeed moving toward industrialized food hyped by huge corporations. Small farmers are becoming rare and the quality of meals in restaurants is not what it was 30 years ago. I applaud, as does the author, the brave people still trying to produce artisanal (raw milk) cheeses and to raise cattle and pigs humanely. Lunchtime has shortened from two hours to one, but at least where I live, people still sit in restaurants for civilized lunches instead of wolfing down packaged sandwiches and candy bars at their desks.
I love this book. Each chapter focuses on a specific issue: artisanal cheese, fast food, the Michelin rating system, globalization and the decline of "care" that used to go into not only farming but cooking and eating, etc.
My ONLY complaint is that the author refers to the "mid-2000's" repeatedly and this is VERY confusing since we are not there yet. The mid-2000's would be somewhere around 2050. I tried substituting the 1950's thinking he meant the mid-1900's but that didn't make any sense with what he was trying to get across. Very odd and very distracting/confusing. The book is full of facts but some of the arguments are not successful because you can't really figure out what period in time he is really talking about. This is not a mistake I would have expected. The editor should have caught it and the author loses credibility by not knowing the difference.

London's Afternoon Teas
London's Afternoon Teas
by Susan Cohen

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., 19 Jan. 2013
It is a lovely book to look at and it seems well-organized. A few mistakes on the maps, but not serious. My disappointment lies in the fact that it offers nothing new. Who doesn't know about Fortnum and Mason, the Dorchester, etc.?
I was hoping for some surprises. I was also hoping for a few more places where one can have a really nice tea for less than 40 pounds! The Ritz, indeed.

Kemp: The Road To Crecy
Kemp: The Road To Crecy
by Daniel Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Sequels rarely succeed, 21 Feb. 2012
When I started The Road to Crecy, I was afraid that, like with so many "historical novels", I was going to be reading a love story set in medieval times. However, once the characters were established, I was happy to see that we were moving on. The research on this part of the 100 Years War is evident; little anecdotes and details that brought the story to life were in fact historical. I learned a great deal and I was entertained. Exactly what I'd hoped for. I was so pleased in fact, that I couldn't wait for A Passage to Arms to arrive. Alas, it did arrive. And what I had feared at the start of the first book came to bear in the second. Too much corny romance, not enough historical information. A real swashbuckler. Hmmm.
I don't recommend the second book.