Profile for B. J. Burke > Reviews

Content by B. J. Burke

B. J. Burke "Proceeds go to CMA" (Manchester, UK)

Life and Laughing: My Story
Life and Laughing: My Story
by Michael McIntyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Michael is just as funny on paper!!, 7 Jan 2011
If you're a fan of Michael McIntyre's hilarious stand up then you'll love his book. He suceeds in putting himself across on paper just as he does on stage. The book if full of hilarious laugh out loud moments. The books pulls you in from the get go and keeps you interested throughout with side splittingly funny tales from his childhood, teenage years and beyond.
This book is without a doubt the funniest book I've ever read, it was quite painful too seeing as I read it while recovering from recent abdominal surgery!!!

Twilight
Twilight
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Soundtrack of 2008!, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Twilight (Audio CD)
This soundtrack fits the emotional rollercoatser of Twilight perfectly, with tracks specially written for the movie it is a must for all Twilighters!!!
Features Rob Pattinson singing and performing 'Never Think' that he wrote himself, stunning track.
A definate must buy, hasn't left my CD player since it was released!!!

God's Callgirl
God's Callgirl
by Carla van Raay

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, such a disappointment..., 29 Jan 2007
This review is from: God's Callgirl (Paperback)
I love autobiographical memoirs and I was very disappointed with God's Callgirl. The book started off in a very intersting and promising vein but it just got dreary and dull the more I read. One of the most important thing when reading a book of this type is you have to feel a certain kinship with the author (well I do!) and this woman just annoyed me. In the end I couldn't even finish the book, Carla Van Raay just needed to get a grip, she painted herself as a totally pathetic figure who would slay all those closest to her to meet her own selfish needs. I really ran out of sympathy for her because she was a terrible mother and friend.

A Brother's Journey: Surviving A Childhood of Abuse
A Brother's Journey: Surviving A Childhood of Abuse
by Richard B. Pelzer

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Pelzer's little brother..., 11 Aug 2006
To those of you that have read 'The child called It' and the other books in the trilogy will know of David's little brother that received abuse from their mother once he'd left the family home and gone into state care.

Richard (named Russell in the book)became the scapegoat for his mother's cruel and abusive behaviour once David had gone to the children's home.

This is his frightening and heart breaking story...

A must for all those gripped by 'A child called It'

Kathy's Story: A Childhood Hell Inside the Magdalen Laundries
Kathy's Story: A Childhood Hell Inside the Magdalen Laundries
by Kathy O'Beirne

5.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Kathy O'Beirne, 11 Aug 2006
I bought this book and started to read it as soon as I got home, I finshed it the same day, I was hooked.

It is such a shocking story and you constantly have to remind yourself that what was happening to Kathy was happening in the 60's and 70's and not when Queen Victoria was on the throne!

I'm a Catholic and I can tell you now that this book makes you see the Catholic church is a whole different light. Along with the goverment in Ireland.

This book is just the tip of the iceberg of how the Catholic church cruelly mistreated and abused thousands and thousands of women and children.

This book is a must to read...

The Complete Children's Liturgy Book: Comprehensive Programme for Every Sunday of the Lectionary
by Katie Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift from God via Kate Thompson., 30 Jun 2004
This book is an excellent tool in todays Religious Education. We use this at our Catholic church during 'Little Church' as it is fantastic in the way it is aimed at children helping them understand Jesus and the Gospel in a clearer and easier way. I would say that it is a must for all sunday schools and the like.

Watermelon
Watermelon
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars Marian Keyes at her best!!!, 23 Jun 2004
This review is from: Watermelon (Paperback)
This book was the first book of Marian Keyes that I read and it opened up a whole new world for me. Since then I just can't get enough of the witty Irish novelist.
This book has a finely balanced amount of laughter, sadness, humour, romance and neurotic behaviour. It is a must read for all those who have problems with men, shoe addiction and relationships. You won't look back and after reading this, Marian Keyes will be your new best friend :)