Profile for Andrew > Reviews

Content by Andrew

Andrew "ponch_bear"

Total Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
Total Spanish (Learn Spanish with the Michel Thomas Method)
by Michel Thomas
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great as a starting point, 27 Aug. 2013
After studying German and French at school for 5 years and using very little of it I decided I was going to set out with the aim of eventually becoming as close to fluent in Spanish as possible! There are allot of products/resources available (both free and not). I would say I know allot of words in Spanish but not how to string together sentences to that end this course proved very useful.

Negative points for me were, adjusting to MT's accent and the fact especially in the early CD's it sounds like he's sucking on a sweet or lozenge of some kind?! The guy with the British accent really got on my nerves at times, call me cynical but I reckon he was probably a competent Spanish speaker and allot of this was staged? MT also stressing the pronunciation, telling the student their pronunciation was wrong and getting them to repeat it over and over again only for them to not really change the pronunciation got tiresome. This seemed to come in blocks where at times it seemed 50% of the content was taken up by the village idiot or the constant repetition of one word.

I also have Paul Nobles CD's which in comparison use a similar technique but with a Latin American speaker and a Spanish speaker so you get a feel for the difference with non-of the monotony that comes with these CD's. For anyone thinking of getting the Paul Noble guide that is also not without its draw backs, he speaks very slooooooooooooooowly at times and is a little less effective than MT in my opinion. Having both is great but they do contradict each other also. If these were to be revised (although PN's CD's are basically this without accrediting MT's technique) I'd do away with the two students and use native speakers far too much time is taken by them fudging thing sup and being corrected.

In summary the late MT was a very interesting and talented linguist. Allot of his material has stuck with me but the annoyances mentioned above means that re-listening as a recap is pretty painful. It's a good starting point and ahs motivated me to join a class as there is no substitute to speaking with native speakers IMO.

Fuji Picture Cradle for FP410
Fuji Picture Cradle for FP410

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the tin., 29 Aug. 2005
What more can I say? The only down side for me is that I'd miss placed my charger for my camera and was expecting it to charge via the USB like most other USB devices I have but it didn't, anyhow I got it for 7 quid brand new and it looks cool in my home office. If you can pay that sort of coin for one get it they are £25 from fujifilm direct.

Coach Carter [DVD]
Coach Carter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Samuel L. Jackson
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars More than worth a look., 29 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Coach Carter [DVD] (DVD)
I love it when I watch a film that that wasn't big enough to receive any pre-release hype nor did I go to see it at the cinema- and then it proves to be one of the better films of the year. I'm sure we've all watched films like this and this was definitely one of those for me. It is a bit of tired story though team doing badly gets new coach who then saves the day and I think that if anyone else was cast instead of Samuel L Jackson then this film would be lost to mediocrity. For me it succeeded being cheesy without actually being cheesy or corny if you know what I mean and there is an interesting twist to the coaches methods. Anyhow I won't spoil the story for you but it is very good, and if you're a basketball and/or Jackson fan it's worth adding to your collection but rent it first as I don't think I could sit through it too often!