Profile for S. Hartshorn > Reviews

Content by S. Hartshorn

S. Hartshorn "falmer4all" (Brighton)

Page: 1 | 2
WD 4TB My Cloud EX2 Personal Cloud Storage NAS with WD RED inside
WD 4TB My Cloud EX2 Personal Cloud Storage NAS with WD RED inside

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to but..., 30 May 2015
Strange this one as it does everything it's meant to, and I am able to stream all my photos and music to all of my devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro and iTunes etc.). Why 3 stars...because it still has a number of bugs that have taken up a disproportionate amount of my time to fix, and WD don't seem to be particularly engaged on their own customer portal where these issues are discussed, although, to be fair, I did receive a response from their customer services, and they solved the issue (albeit after I had got the answer from another customer).

As a non-IT / non-techy person I struggle with this sometimes (although I'm pretty good with electronic equipment generally) - think they still have a way to go to make this a truly ubiquitous device that anybody can use - it's not particularly intuitive, and knowledge of how servers work is a definite advantage. Although the white version looks like an Apple device, don't expect it to work like one!

Overall - buggy but is doing the job I hoped it would. If possible I would've given it a 3.5. Split decision.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 1, 2015 3:39 PM BST

La Hacienda 58106 Camping Firebowl with Grill/ Folding Legs and Carry Bag - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great thing!, 30 May 2015
Really good for both barbecues and then conversion into a log fire afterwards. Kept us nice and warm camping. Good device, nice and light and compact, comes with its own bag. Recommended.

Panasonic TYWL20E Wireless LAN Adaptor for Viera WiFi Ready 2012 TVs
Panasonic TYWL20E Wireless LAN Adaptor for Viera WiFi Ready 2012 TVs
Offered by cherrypickelectronics

1.0 out of 5 stars Only worked for a year - avoid, 31 Dec. 2014
Got this dongle for my 42" Panasonic TV a year ago. Worked OK for best part of a year, albeit often slow to connect to our wifi when the TV was first started up. Pretty much exactly 12 Months after purchase it decided that it was no longer able to connect to my wifi signal.

I tried lots of things to fix it including re-entering the wifi security key, re-booting my wifi router and TV, unplugging and plugging the dongle back in again, nothing worked.

Then randomly, when repeating one of the above, it decided to work. It worked for that day, when I went to switch the TV on again the following day it decided to stop working again. Since then it seems to be random as to whether it works and what fixes it when it doesn't - all a complete waste of time fiddling about to fix these problems.

I have emailed Panasonic tech support to see if I can get an explanation, not expecting anything useful based on previous issues with their products, but will update if they manage to surprise me!

Of course, due to in-built inflexibility which means these are the only wireless dongles that will work with my 2012 TV, I have no other options in terms of dongles.

Personally I think I will go with Sony for future TVs, and will have to start looking around for other ways to make my current TV 'smarter' than it currently is!!!

If I were you I wouldn't waste my money. I paid £38 which is very expensive for a dongle, even more so for one that will only last 12 months.

********************************** Update: May 2015 **************************

I promised to update on this. Tried Panasonic customer services with this issue and the best they could come up with was to test it with a LAN cable - if I could attach a LAN cable to my wifi router from the 42" TV that's attached to the wall I would have saved my self £40 on this device and done that instead. Needless to say they were no help at all.

In all honesty I think it is the pitiful range on this device that is the issue. I thought it must me my wifi router - until I realised that every other device I have seems to be able to pick it up from an additional 100ft away at the bottom of our garden - iPad, MacbookPro, IPhone all work fine from the bottom of the garden. I have a Virgin Media Super Hub that was recently upgraded, with fibre optic so I am used to things working faultlessly. To give the dongle another chance, in case there was something specific about where the TV was situated, I tested all of my other wifi devices right next to this dongle (in the cradle provided as recommended), and they all worked fine alongside the dongle that couldn't even see the network, then, when it did eventually find a network, it would clock on and be unwatchable. I ran the same streams side by side! I officially give up - I'd get a better experience using my own trouser 'dongle'!

There are so many other smart TV devices available nowadays - NOW TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku etc. that there's no real need to buy this dinosaur of a product. The other problem with using this dongle is the fact that no new apps are ever added to the SMART functions on these 2012 TVs, so even if you can get the dongle to work, you'll be stuck with an increasingly outdated list of apps and channels.

My recommendation would be to go with a manufacturer that specialises in SMART boxes and use one of these - at least they are likely to be supported and updated with more and more apps in future. Personally I'm looking to bin this stick and get a Roku box as it has all the TV catchup services and major apps - YouTube, Netflix etc.

In short: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS - GET A SMART TV BOX INSTEAD

XMI X-Mini II 2nd Generation Capsule Speaker with 3.5mm Jack Compatible with iPhone/iPad/iPod/Smartphones/Tablets/MP3 Player/Laptop - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, 8 Oct. 2014
Great sound, can plus in anything with a small headphone jack. Great for garden use as sound is quite localised so doesn't annoy the neighbours, but still get good bass from these speakers.

Outsunny 5pc Rattan Wicker Conservatory Furniture Garden Corner Sofa Outdoor Patio Furniture Set Aluminium Black (Parasol Not Included)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Oct. 2014
Excellent product. Fantastic to have garden furniture that is comfortable. Quick
Delivery, good quality product. No complaints.

Fire Bowl Ø 80 cm FS 2416
Fire Bowl Ø 80 cm FS 2416

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality product, great service, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Fire Bowl Ø 80 cm FS 2416
Great product, very sturdy and well made. The big one is very BIG, check the measurements before committing. Great supplier...has a leg missing when it arrived, asked for a replacement and they sent me another four!! Recommended.

Outwell Unisex Cazal Pit Grill Portable Folding Camping Bbq Barbeque
Outwell Unisex Cazal Pit Grill Portable Folding Camping Bbq Barbeque
Offered by Motorhome Accessories Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Handy but poorly made, 3 Sept. 2014
Purchased this from a local camping shop, thought it would be handy as it packs flat saving valuable car space...paid a premium for that convenience. Anyway, two camping trips in and the rainless steel folding grill attachment is falling apart at the welds...very poor quality from a company that makes very sturdy tents, would have expected better.

My advice would be to avoid it.

Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Black 600 Count
Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Black 600 Count
Offered by London Accessories Boutique

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality bands that break too easily, 5 July 2014
Poor quality bands, weaker then other bass we have purchased. Really annoying as you have to keep going back to the broken band and replacing them. Avoid at all costs.

Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Red 600 Count
Loom Bandz - Rainbow Colours - Red 600 Count
Offered by ukBuyHere(from HK)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality bands, 5 July 2014
Poor quality bands that keep breaking. Avoid as loom bands as you'll spend all your time unpicking what you've made...

Jerusalem
Jerusalem
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookery book we have, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Jerusalem (Hardcover)
Brilliant book, perfect for summer. Delicious food that's relatively easy to make, and introduces you to flavour combinations you'll use again and again. We've never eaten so well!!

Page: 1 | 2