Profile for J. Davies > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter for iPad Mini/iPad4 with Retina Display
Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter for iPad Mini/iPad4 with Retina Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, At A Price, 2 Jun 2014
Worked perfectly most of the time. Did exactly as advertised to transfer photos from my Panasonic WA20 into my iPad, while on holidays.

My only gripes are: it is a tad expensive for a bit of cable; and why isn't it supported by my iPhone?

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible To Take Off, 18 April 2013
I bought these gloves for cross-country skiing between -10C and 0 - when you may encounter wet snow, and you may become sweaty with effort (and downhill skiing gloves would be too warm). In this they excelled - they were sufficiently warm, comfortable and wicked away sweat through the thermal inner layer and breathable waterproof outer. Dexterity and grip was good, too, and they stood up to many tens of kilometres of vigorous poling each day for 4 days without any significant wear on the palms.

The problem came when I tried to take them off at the end of a hard day's skiing when my hands were damp with sweat - the poor construction design (the inners and membrane are only attached to the outer at the cuff) means that it is almost impossible to get them off without pulling them inside out, and then it is almost impossible to get them back in without them rucking up and preventing you getting your fingers and thumbs fully back in. Now, I think that I am extra careful with my gear, and this happened by the 4th day. If my son - an average teenager - wore them, this would have happened half way through the first day, when we got to the first trackside cafe. They would then have been useless, until reassembled properly - a time and effort of dubious value for the sake of the £25 cost of the gloves, unless you are on a minimum UK wage.

So if you buy them, consider that they are great while they are in proper use, but may only last a few days.

Drift HD Action Camera
Drift HD Action Camera
Offered by Woodhaven Marketing

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Better for the price, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Drift HD Action Camera (Camera)
Full-HD video is very good - which is the main thing. The camera comes standard with a good selection of useful mounts - other branded mounts and accessories are readily available, if a little pricey.

However, the built quality of the camera is not the best I have seen in this price bracket, and it is not rated as waterproof - only water-resistent (which should be OK for me most of the time). Basic operation is fairly straight forward, and the remote control works straight out of the box (no need to pair it); but for any more complex operations eg: playback, the menu system is unintuitive and flaky. The included battery life is poor, but this may improve with more charging.

The main criticism I have with the camera is the shear size and weight, especially for its obvious application as a helmet camera for skiing or cycling. When you think how much mobile phones have miniaturised in the last 6 years, I expected this to be significantly smaller and lighter than my first action camera - even with Full-HD and an LCD screen - it is not. It began to give me neck ache just cycling 8 miles with it on my road helmet. Perhaps this can be partially excused by the design feature that allows the whole optical system to be rotated inside the casing - to achieve a level FoV - maybe...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 4:54 PM BST

Lowepro Apex 30 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black
Lowepro Apex 30 AW Digital Camera Pouch - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Rugged Bag, 16 Mar 2013
The bag itself is a well-made, rugged design, with good features - as you would expect from Lowe Alpine; although the strap is a little thin and stiff for my taste - make sure you don't wear it for long around a bear neck.

The problem we have is finding a suitable sized bag for our compact waterproof camcorders eg: Panasonic WA20. This bag was disappointingly small, and we had to swap it with another smaller camera for our older Lowepro bag, which is no longer made. You really have to refer to the manufacture's website to see which bags are compatible with which cameras; but the Lowepro recommendation for my WA20 (not this reviewed bag) is too big and cumbersome in my mind.

Hustle - Complete BBC Series 8 [DVD] [2012]
Hustle - Complete BBC Series 8 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Adrian Lester

4.0 out of 5 stars Unmissable, 16 Mar 2013
Bought to watch the last ever episode of Hustle - which we missed because the BBC pulled it from iPlayer soon after it was shown (and never repeated). Otherwise you can only see these episodes by subscribing to some paid channel.

We watched the last but one episode (but not any of the others in the box) to remind ourselves what happened, then enjoyed our missed last-ever episode. Really unmissable! To say anymore would spoil it.

Zefal Mirror Cyclop
Zefal Mirror Cyclop

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Expected, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Zefal Cyclop Mirror (Sports)
I am a fan of the Zefal Cyclops mirror and have fitted them to most of my road bikes. They are relatively cheap, simple, reliable. and effective - especially if you are middle-aged like me, and get a stiff neck from craning around to watch rear-approaching traffic!

However, when this (straight bar) version arrived, I was somewhat taken aback to find it had an unfamiliar, angled fixing bracket. Fortunately, after I fitted it to the straight bars of my mountain bike - for the occasional road commute - I realised that this allowed the mirror to be folded in under the bar grips, out of harm's way, for when I am off-road and don't need a mirror. Excellent!

Also note that I have fitted this to a handlebar that has bar ends, and it is perfectly compatible (with mine, anyway).

My Head is an Animal
My Head is an Animal

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: My Head is an Animal (Audio CD)
Great new music. Interesting style, intriguing lyrics - try it and widen your musical taste! If I had to categorise it, I would describe it as an unholy union of Bjork, Mumford & Sons, and The Choir of Young Believers.

Bella Donna
Bella Donna
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars As Expected, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Bella Donna (Audio CD)
Classic Nicks, from the era after Fleetwood Mac started falling apart and Stevie went solo. Many nice tracks, but not earth shattering. Glad I bought it, because I am a Fleetwood Mac fan and wanted it for my collection. Can say any more.

Hama Camera Carrying Strap, Black
Hama Camera Carrying Strap, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 16 Mar 2013
This is exactly what I needed to hang my waterproof camcorder on while skiing. Thick enough not to chaff a bear neck, with no sharp metal crimps (as cheaper version have) that could snag or tear expensive outdoor clothes.

Marley's Chains
Marley's Chains

5.0 out of 5 stars Familiar, Yet Refreshing, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Marley's Chains (Audio CD)
Excellent! Enough like Fleetwood Mac, as other reviews said, to catch my ear; but also refreshingly new, catchy tunes and interesting lyrics. I would recommend anyone who likes mainstream rock to listen to it - whether or not you are a Fleetwood Mac fan or not. The style is my era (70s/80s), with a hint of country, but my 16-year-son, who is doing GSCE Music, also loves it.

Page: 1 | 2