Profile for Ian Oakins > Reviews

Woody Shaw Live Vol.3
Woody Shaw Live Vol.3
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class Shaw, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Woody Shaw Live Vol.3 (Audio CD)
I consider Shaw to be one of the top jazz trumpeters and this to be one of his best albums. When he plays agaist Steve Turre on trombone he really cooks

Moontrane
Moontrane
Offered by booklore

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album but Shaw has done better, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Moontrane (Audio CD)
Having spent quite a lot of money buying this album as a US import from Elite Digital, I am sorry to say it is not quite as good as 'Woody plays Woody' or his live albums recorded at Keystone Korner.
This is purely due to the space he gives to the bass player who is not to my taste.

Solid
Solid

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointing outing by a jazz trumpet great., 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Solid (Audio CD)
I first heard Shaw on the difficult to obtain 'Woody plays Woody' album which confirms his status as the last of the great jazz trumpet innovators.I find he plays at his best when sharing the front line with Steve Turre on trombone. Sadly I do not think this album, where he shares the lead with Kenny Garrett on alto sax works so well.

Woody Shaw albums can be hard to find. I would strongly recommend Volumes 2 & 3 of Woody Shaw Live which also feature Turre and are available from amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2013 11:03 AM BST

Enfant Terribles
Enfant Terribles

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent album by 4 old jazz greats, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Enfant Terribles (Audio CD)
The only one of the musicians on this album I know well is Bill Frisell. His playing is well up to standard. Lee Konitz, who I have only previously heard on the equally excellent album 'Alone Together' with Brad Meldau, and who is now 85 blows up a storm whlist Gary Peacock is arguably the greatest jazz bass player of all time.

An exceptional live set.

Cross Culture
Cross Culture

4.0 out of 5 stars A good Joe Lovano album but he has done better, 14 Mar 2013
This review is from: Cross Culture (Audio CD)
I regard the three albums that Joe Lovano has made with Us five as his best recordings since he made "from the soul" in the 90s but I consider "bird songs to be a better album.
I would recommend this one but also listen to "bird songs".

The Singles As & Bs 1952-1960
The Singles As & Bs 1952-1960

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Waoter - good early recordings, 14 Mar 2013
This is a good double cd selection of Little Walter's early recordings. He was perhaps somewhat better on his later recordings with Muddy Waters but I am not keen on the heavier overall sound of the Waters' band. I consider Sonny Boy Williamson isto be a better player.
I would recommend this album to anyone interested in urban blues.

Grace Under Pressure
Grace Under Pressure

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Scofield,s best, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: Grace Under Pressure (Audio CD)
I consider this and 'Time on my Hands' to be John Scofield's best albums. He is not only an excellent guitarist but also a fine writer. On this album it is good to hear him playing in tandem with Bill Frisell.