Profile for Robert Ashton > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Focus: Use the Power of Targeted Thinking to Get More Done
Focus: Use the Power of Targeted Thinking to Get More Done

4.0 out of 5 stars This book certainly got me focussed!, 29 Mar. 2010

In particular i liked the Chapter that shows you how to put the principles into ACTION!

Why not buy a copy and see if it can do the same for you?

Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking
Focus: The Power of Targeted Thinking

4.0 out of 5 stars This book certainly got me focussed!, 26 Mar. 2010
I'm one of those people who muti-tasks to the point where on some days, nothing actually gets done. This book was a gift and initially viewed with some cynicism. But, it has to be said, even for someone as easily distracted as me - it held my attention right the way through. What's more I'm now finding myself better organised - it's like the book installed a 'focus virus' in my brain whilst I was reading.

Why not buy a copy and see if it can do the same for you?

Creativity Now: Get Inspired, Create Ideas and Make Them Happen - Now!
Creativity Now: Get Inspired, Create Ideas and Make Them Happen - Now!

4.0 out of 5 stars A creative little book in itself!, 26 Mar. 2010
What a refreshing change from some of the heavy tomes I've read before on this subject. This book helps you set the scene for being creative - then takes you though an easy to follow process so that you can actually be creative. I like the bonus material too - very creative!

Brilliant Business Creativity: What the Best Business Creatives Know, Do and Say
by Richard Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Anyone can be creative!, 26 Mar. 2010
Here's the book to buy anyone you know who's currently stuck in the mud. Hall's book will surely help even the least creative person to find their spark!

The Secrets of Success at Work: 10 Steps to Accelerating Your Career
The Secrets of Success at Work: 10 Steps to Accelerating Your Career
by Richard Hall

4.0 out of 5 stars Reality not rocket science, 26 Mar. 2010
At last, a book that says it like it is. No rocket science, just buckets of common sense. If you don't have a mentor, this book might just fill the gap!

Brilliant Baby Names: How to Choose a Name That You and Your Child Will Love for Life
by Laura King

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 25 Mar. 2010
My kids have long since grown up and left home but I continue to marvel at the choices other parents make. (I know a guy in Yorkshire named Karl by his left wing dad after Marx - how cool is that!)

So then I found this book - had a quick glance and had to buy it. 'What have you got in mind?' was my wife's comment. The book is a compulsive read. We both keep looking up people we know and more so when we want to figure out why they gave their kids such strange names.

Did the book deliver? Well my wife was not inspired to have another baby, and thank goodness for that. But we have both had hours of fun though - ahem - reading the book!

Grab yourself a copy; it's a gem!

The Secrets of Selling: How to Win in Any Sales Situation (Financial Times Series)
by Geoff King

3.0 out of 5 stars This book sells itself to me, 25 Mar. 2010
Too many people make selling complicated and daunting - I guess that's because they want to fill a book.

This one is different - it makes selling seem simple, possible and even enjoyable for the shyest of people.

Read a copy and boost both your sales and your confidence!

The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly predictable, 20 Jan. 2010
I read the latest Dan Brown novel over the Christmas break. Love or hate his work , you have to admire Dan Brown as a literary entrepreneur. Having hit upon a winning formula, he's followed it with great success.

A friend likened his writing to that of Enid Blyton. Both used simple, short sentences, no big words and a familiar plot. He saw this as a failing; I see it as strength. The best authors write with the reader, not themselves, in mind. Of course if you want a book that challenges you, then Dan Brown's not your man. Most however, are seeking entertainment and a temporary escape from their everyday world. Success comes when you satisfy other people's needs.

So, this book contains no surprises and very few secrets - but it is worth reading!

Here's One I Wrote Earlier: Peter Purves My Autobiography
Here's One I Wrote Earlier: Peter Purves My Autobiography
by Peter Purves

4.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change, 13 Mar. 2009
Like so many others, I was a childhood viewer of Blue Peter and enthusiastically followed the adventures of Peter, John and Val. They were celebrities long before the word was invented - real and not contrived, open and happy to share with the viewer.

This book is similarly a refreshing change from that growing ghastly genre of the ghost written, all revealing celebrity 'autobiography'.

Here's a real bloke describing in a very human way his life, times and feelings. He does not claim to be a professional writer, choosing in true Blue Peter style simply to say it as he remembers it. All of the words here are clearly his own - none were prepared for him earlier.

If you want to find out what it was like to develop a very successful media career in the days when talent and hard work were the only way, you'll love this book.

Then perhaps you can follow his good example and make one at home!

The Book of Rubbish Ideas: An interactive, room-by-room, guide to reducing household waste.
by Tracey Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Just in the nick of time!, 16 Sept. 2008
This book has arrived just in the nick of time. Rising prices and all the doom gloom and recession talk had got me thinking about adopting a more frugal lifestyle. But where do I start and do I really want to go without nice things?

Then I spotted The Book of Rubbish Ideas. Now I've discovered the fun of making things last, re-using what I can and finding a new home for the stuff I'd once have thoughtlessly tossed into the black wheelie bin.

I even felt moved to hire a builders skip and go through my shed - knowing that 85% of what the skip company collect goes for recycling. I know have a nice clear shed and an equally clear consience!

If you want to have fun, save money and do your bit to save the planet, then this book is for you. Lots of ideas - all painless!

Page: 1 | 2