Profile for jahtao > Reviews

jahtao (london, uk)

War God: Nights of the Witch
War God: Nights of the Witch

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 5 July 2014
I could not have read this book faster or enjoyed it more! Cannot wait for the next instalment!

Just a great thriller, page-turner. Less wacky and more focused than I expected from Graham Hancock but with lots of interesting details.

Concretopia: A Journey around the Rebuilding of Postwar Britain
Concretopia: A Journey around the Rebuilding of Postwar Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 April 2014
Such a great read. Great level of detail, funny in places, great scope, perfectly pitched. My girlfriend never grew tired of me reading excerpts from it (ha). I will be buying a hard copy to lend out.

X'ed Out
X'ed Out
by Charles Burns

2.0 out of 5 stars Won't be buying the next one, 27 July 2011
This review is from: X'ed Out (Hardcover)
Yeah its ok. The Lynch factor feels a quite forced to me, that's my problem with this title. Daniel Clowes' Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron does it so much better - that's a 5 star bad boy IMHO so perhaps its not all that fair to compare them. Read it in 20mins so its feeling a little expensive right now! Sorry to be negative!!

The Foley Grail: The Art of Performing Sound for Film, Games, and Animation
The Foley Grail: The Art of Performing Sound for Film, Games, and Animation
by Vanessa Theme Ament

4.0 out of 5 stars Well I liked it!, 22 Feb 2010
Had absolutely no trouble with pages falling out, and I really abused the book on my daily commute - I had to sort of roll it up in order to get it into my rather small jacket pocket and then really force it to get it out. Never had any trouble with books by this publisher too.

Liked the book a lot, I've not given it 5 stars because it didn't capture my imagination and blow my mind like Yewdall's sound for motion pictures text book which was just so full of character and I'm feeling a little tight on the stars today.

Wished I had read it before I had started my foley for this mate's 50min film i'm doing at the moment (usually work mixing tele and don't do much foley normally) as the ideas on cueing up the cues would have been most helpful!

Fables: Legends in Exile (Vertigo)
Fables: Legends in Exile (Vertigo)
by Bill Willingham

3.0 out of 5 stars mediocre, 1 Jan 2010
I've just read vol 1 and 2, and i dont think i'm going to bother with the rest of them.

stuff i like: alan moore stuff, will eisner, preacher, maus, scott pilgrim, jimmy corrigan, powers, daniel clowes, robert crumb.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2010 11:03 PM BST