Profile for smudge > Reviews

Content by smudge

smudge

The Office 10th Anniversary Edition - Complete Series 1 & 2 and the Christmas Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais
Price: 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic of television comedy, in a satisfying box set.., 5 Feb 2012
Let me start by saying that I have never owned any previous Office dvd releases, and I hadn't watched the show for a good few years before I got this set. So I really enjoyed re-visiting the entire series from beginning to end.
This show really is a classic, and it's good to be reminded of just how superb Ricky Gervais was as David Brent.
Anyway, let me get down to the actual set. There is more than enough bonus content here; various documentaries, deleted scenes, outtakes, interviews with well-known fans of the show (such as Richard Curtis and David Baddiel) and a commentary for the final episode. It is all spread across 4 discs.
As others have complained, not everything is here. The full pilot filmed for the BBC is not included, only the 'pre-pilot' made earlier. And no those Microsoft training videos are not here, but can be located on Youtube.
My only criticism of this set is the way the new 'exclusive' bonus material is integrated on the Series One disc. Each episode has an introduction featuring interviews from Gervais, Merchant and others. Then over the end credits a little interview excerpt will pop up. I appreciate the material but it is irritating how you cannot watch the episodes without it. It is most frustrating with Episode One where Mackenzie Crook is talking over the opening titles and Hugh Jackman (!) pops up over the end credits to say how funny Brent is. Unnecessary and disappointing decision.
However, I give the set 5 stars because the show is so good and the extra material on the most part is more than welcome. If you don't already have the show on dvd then this set is a must buy (and at a good price).

The Beast Must Die [DVD]
The Beast Must Die [DVD]
Dvd ~ Calvin Lockhart
Offered by bankruptstock
Price: 6.45

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Horrifying! (and not in a good way), 20 Nov 2008
This review is from: The Beast Must Die [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this dvd because I love werewolf stories (though there are very few good movies out there) and found the concept intriguing (a bunch of people stay in a house over night, one of them is a werewolf).
Big mistake.
This film is atrocious. Completely without any redeeming features, it is poorly made, not at all scary or suspenseful, and worst of all has very little entertainment value.
Considering the film stars Peter Cushing and Michael Gambon, you would hope that there would be some decent moments to speak of. Well, there aren't, the whole thing was dreadful.
'What about the werewolf?' I hear you ask. It's a dog. A frikkin dog.
A dog that is not at all scary and doesn't look in any way threatening.
I can't even recommend this film for Bad Movie fans. It's not even enjoyable as a bad movie. Just avoid it, and watch American Werewolf or The Wolfman again instead.

The Cases That Haunt Us
The Cases That Haunt Us
by John Douglas

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 20 Nov 2008
I found this book because I was looking for material on Jack the Ripper at the time. Luckily for me this title also has a chapter on the Zodiac case which I also have a interest in.
The author goes through all the important details on each case (he also looks at JonBenet Ramsey, The Black Dahlia and others) and keeps your eyes glued to the page with his clear, concise and sharp writing style.
Of course the man clearly knows what he is talking about and comes to some interesting conclusions about the kinds of cases that have stayed with us for decades, well over a hundred years in the case of Jack the Ripper.
If you are fascinated by these kinds of cases (gruesome and tragic though they are) or you need to research the area then you have to pick this book up.