Profile for K. E. Forrester > Reviews

Content by K. E. Forrester

K. E. Forrester "khandy" (Shropshire)

A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South
A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South

4.0 out of 5 stars Respects the original, 8 Nov. 2011
I cannot wait for this to be avilable in the UK as a paperback. I have had the pleasure of reading the e book version but want this one in print. The author's obvious love of the original Gaskill novel is very evident. She is never disrepectful to the original and her continuation of John and Margaret's story is a delight.

Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?
Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?
by Hazel Osmond

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, witty, poignant and wonderful, 13 Jun. 2011
Hazel Osmond first novel it is very good. It is actually hard to believe that it is her first book.

Both dialogue and narrative are sharp and witty moving the story along and a wonderful pace. Ellie is, as has been said by others a wonderful character. She seems very real. I liked Lesley as well and thought the dynamic between the two friends was fabulous.

Mr Wolfe was what all good heroes should be tall, dark, brooding and with a past.

Yes it is chiclit, what is wrong with that? It is high time we stop apologising for liking this type of novel.

Chris Ryan's Strike Back [DVD]
Chris Ryan's Strike Back [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Armitage
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Action thriller with emotional depth, 12 Jun. 2010
Warning Spoilers

Far to often programmes in the action genre consist of nothing more than car chases and explosions. Just one sequence to another with no emphasis placed on the character's motives meaning that it is difficult for the viewer to be engaged. This is where Strikeback struck gold. By giving Porter and Collinson the back story they did they gave the programme a heart which means the viewer can care about the characters.

This series had amazing production values. Filmed in 35mm the cinematography was outstanding as were the sound and special effects. It was obvious without seeing the special features that Richard Armitage, Andrew Lincoln and guest actors all had undergone intensive training with the military, such was the ease at which they handled the weapons and action sequences.

The cast were brilliant. Andrew Lincoln not, an actor I'm a huge fan of, was very good as the upper class and ultimately weak Collinson. His lack of experience in the first ten minutes is so obvious. When they return from the botched mission it is not just his words that scream liar and coward his eyes do as well.

Jodhi May was perfect; having read the book I was having trouble picturing her as Layla especially as the last thing I saw her in was Emma. But she was wonderful. I loved how strong her character was and how willing she was to admit how wrong she had been about Porter.

Shelley Conn had a slightly thankless role in as much as the character as written by Chris Ryan was a male fantasy. It just didn't transfer that well on to the screen mainly because the female viewers all felt that she was little more than a sex worker and in 2010 it doesn't sit well. Her role improved when she and Porter were seen to be in a normal relationship and she became a much more valuable team member as an analyst. I would have prefered her and Porter just to have had a casual fling to be honest.

The guest stars were all excellent with Orla Brady deserving special praise. Her portrayal of Katie Dartmouth was spot on. Her fear in the scenes where she is videod is palpable the strength she displays is tempered by astonishing vulnerabilty.The scenes between her and Richard Armitage are among the best in the whole series.

Shaun Parkes and Ewan Bremner both guest in later episodes and both form a likable partnership with Porter.

And so to the lead Richard Armitage, as with everybody else he seems perfectly cast. Certainly he has the physic to play a tough special forces operative. I would think he chose the northern accent to contrast with Collinson's officer class and yes the accent does bring to mind Sean Bean. Armitage is not a scene chewer, his style of acting is actually very contained which means that when he does explode verbally it is very surprising. He is equally believable in both the action scenes and the emotional ones with his family, Katie and Dani. One of my favourire scenes is with his mate Steve in hospital he is just feeding him but the pain and guilt in his eyes are heartbreaking.

A word about the special features I liked them alot and do wish there had been more but the thing that impressed me the most was that they had subtitles which a lot of special features don't and for those who are deaf this is invaluable so thanks for that.

Enigma [DVD] [2001]
Enigma [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Dougray Scott
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable thriller sent against the back drop of Bletchley Park, 6 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Enigma [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I did not come into this film expecting it to be a documentary about Bletchley Park. I expected it to be a thriller set against the back drop of Bletchley.Which means that I was not disappointed, as some people have been by this film. This film made me interested to know what went on at Bletchley during the war, which is what I had expected to do.

I thought the story line was excellent and not hugely confusing. Some thrillers can fall in to the trap of trying to be too clever.I thought that the cast were very good. Dougray Scott presented the right tone as the slightly, shabby and stressed mathamatics genius. Kate Winslett was excellent as the clever girl overlooked by everybody. I loved her line about her letchy boss looking better when she didn't wear her glasses. Saffron Burrows looked unbelievably glamorous. It was nice to see Tom Hollender in a small role. Matthew Macfaddyn was excellent as the naval intelligence officer who had been so badly hurt earlier in the war.

Yet rising above them all and the reason I gave this film four stars not three is Jeremy Northam. What a gift of a character Wigram was. He was just so deliciously sarcastic and just this side of smarmy. He stole every scene he was. When they are in the museum at Bletchley he says nothing he is just moving about looking at things but the whole time I found my eyes drawn to him.

It would have been easy for him to become a pantomine villian but he never does.His posture,the tone of his voice and his facial movements were wonderful. One of my favorite moments is when he puts his hat on after questioning Dougray Scott in his room. The hat and the angle he wore it were perfect for the character. He had some really great lines.

I'm afraid I am going to have ask you to hurry up. Said to Kate Winslet and Dougray Scott when they were kissing. It was said with almost completely boredom.

They were seeing the life out of each other. About Puck and Kate.

Do you hunt? To the landlady at the house. I couldn't help thinking that that was what he did hunted.

He really stole the film.

Hornblower - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Hornblower - The Complete Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Lindsay
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loyalty and Duty above all other. That's Hornblower, 14 Jun. 2009
I only recently saw this when it was repeated on ITV 3 and then I saw the box set and brought it.

I have to say that I have read the books which I loved but I think the series is better. It captures the essence of Hornblower with out dwelling on his more irritating habits which would probably put of to days audience.

Ioan Gruffudd it could be said was born to play Hornblower a man where the need to his duty is the most important thing in his life. The way he changes throughout the series is remarkable from shy bullied midshipman. To Commander of the Hotspur the way he commands the men who often have years more experience than him is brilliant.

I imagine the purist will have problems with the same cast throughout, the book is littered with hundreds of characters. The characters being maintained throughout is just one reason why the films work so well.

Robert Lindsay is fantastic and this reminds us what a good actor he is. Jamie Bamber Paul McGann Davis Warner Denis Lawson all make this unmissiable.

A word about Sean Gilder and Paul Copley as Styles and Matthews fantastic these characters play a large part in Hornblowers development you almost sense that without them he could not have done it.

Amazing Grace [DVD]
Amazing Grace [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ioan Gruffudd

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grace one man's story, 11 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Amazing Grace [DVD] (DVD)
I have seen this film several times and I really enjoy it. Unlike some I was not expecting it to be about the slave trade. I knew it was about William Wilberforce and his struggle to have Slave trading abolished with in the British Empire. So I was not expecting to see scenes of slaves on ships.It was his story not the slaves.

I realise that some of the history is inaccurate but a certain degree of poetic licence creeps into a lot of films.

Ioan Gruffudd is excellent as Wilberforce but I was not surprised by this as his early roles in British TV show what a fine actor he is.

I also enjoyed the reletionship between him and Pitt. Pitt who it has to be said is seen as a better peace time prime minister.

The supporting cast of British Stallwarts also impress.

My daughter had to watch this at school and I believe she found it helpful as an introduction to that peroid in history.

Warriors [1999] [Dutch Import] [DVD]
Warriors [1999] [Dutch Import] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ioan Gruffudd
Offered by ____THE_BEST_ON_DVD____

5.0 out of 5 stars Warriors, 10 Jun. 2009
I watched this DVD as soon as I received it. I remembered it being aired on the BBC several years ago.

While I am aware it portrays only a tiny part of the conflict, it does so with a gritty realism. It shows with almost naked honesty the horrors of war. This is no gung ho guts and glory series. This is the dirty hopeless side of conflict.

It feels and looks like a documentry and it is a portrayal of the UN's role as peacekeepers.

The cast was a stunning ensemble of British acting talent with Damien Lewis, Matthew MacFadden and in particular Ioan Gruffudd standing out. All have since worked in Hollywood, none have been better than they are here.