Profile for K. Smith > Reviews

K. Smith

The Purge
The Purge
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay film, but could have been so much better, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Purge (Blu-ray)
This film, for what it is, isn't too bad. Decently acted and some tense moments make it watchable. It just seems to me a bit of a wasted opportunity. If you're going to make a film with just one simple concept and no story to tell, why not really put some welly into it and show mankind at its most depressingly depraved. Also, having lots of concurrent story lines following different people committing different crimes for different reasons could have been a really awesome result. Instead we're left with this, which isn't bad, but a little disappointing.

Skinwalkers
Skinwalkers

2.0 out of 5 stars Is there a point to this film?, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Skinwalkers (Blu-ray)
The title of this review says it all. The film has practically no story to it, no kind of ending, lots of questions asked (very Lost inspired at times, imo), but none of the questions get answered, including perhaps most of all what was actually going on in the film. The only good point to the film, which is why I gave it 2 stars rather than 1, is that its running time is only 71 minutes long, so at least I didn't waste too much of my life watching it!

The Conjuring
The Conjuring

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing and Unsettling, 26 April 2014
This review is from: The Conjuring (Blu-ray)
This has all the boxes ticked. As all great supernatural horror films should be, it's nerve jangling scary making your shackles stand on end more and more as the film goes deeper into the story. There's also plenty of moments that make you jump out of your skin. As it's based on a true story, it is also very disturbing and unsettling. It's the kind of film that could easily keep you awake or give you nightmares if you watch late at night, just before bedtime.

It's not a film that's full of great visual effects, although the effects that are there are done with aplomb, but it doesn't need to be. The magic in this film is the suspense and ever building sense of foreboding and fear.

I have to say that horror films (especially supernatural ones) are my favourite film genre, so I was looking forward to seeing this for a long time and it truly never disappointed. Fantastic movie!

Man of Steel
Man of Steel
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, but still lacks the magic of the original Superman movie, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Man of Steel (Blu-ray)
This was a really enjoyable film. Some fantastic action sequences, but it lacked the magic of the original Christopher Reeve movie. I know that movie was a long time ago and the special effects and budget of movies from that time can't compete with today's blockbusters, but for sheer magic and entertainment the 1978 movie still has the upper hand.

The biggest problem I have with this move is that the early years of Superman on Earth seemed somewhat glossed over, as if it was just being paid lip service because it was a necessary part of the story. Okay, I know that's all been done before in the earlier film, but if you're going to reboot a franchise (which I presume this is, hence the telling of the story as to how he got to Earth), it should have been done properly. The point of the film seemed to be to just make a huge Superman action film and slot other bits of the Superman universe around it. Nonetheless, it was still an enjoyable film, but just falls short of being a fantastic one.

One extra point to note is that this is one of the poorest quality blu-ray codings I have ever seen. The picture quality is very grainy and the sound fairly quiet, with sometimes subdued and slightly muffled dialogue. If blu-ray was a brand new technology and the studios were still finding their feet with it, I could understand. But today? Really?

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 26 April 2014
Really enjoyed this. I heard people saying that the film was too long, and while it is a pretty lengthy movie, I don't see how it could have been shortened. Despite the long running time, it never drags and I remained engrossed throughout. Top quality movie.

About Time
About Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good, 25 April 2014
This review is from: About Time (Blu-ray)
I approached this with some trepidation as it's not the type of film I normally go for, but the time travel aspect added an extra element and with a lot of good reviews I decided to give it a go.

And I'm glad I did.

It's a really enjoyable film, at times funny, at times sad and moving and even a little thought-provoking. Very well written and acted. It's warm and engrossing and the characters very endearing.

Well worth watching.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment, 9 April 2014
I really enjoyed this. It's typical Alan Partridge. Like Mid Morning Matters, it never really hits the heights of his early stuff, i.e. Knowing Me, Knowing You and I'm Alan Partridge, but nevertheless it's still great fun and there are some moments of Partridge gold in there. I hope there'll be more to come.

Machete Kills
Machete Kills

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first Machete film, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Machete Kills (Blu-ray)
Didn't think this was as good as the first Machete film. It seemed to be going too much on the silly side and couldn't make up its mind whether it wanted to be a tongue-in cheek action film or an outright comedy spoof (a la Airplane kind of thing) and seemed to end up somewhere in-between. Having said that, it was okay and kept me reasonably entertained.

Pacific Rim
Pacific Rim

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Couple of Hours, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
Won't go down in the annals of time as a classic, but it is a good fun movie. I had my doubts whether it would be any good to be honest before I watched it, but I decided I'd give it a go anyway. Glad I did. Was kept entertained and interested all the way through. 3D doesn't always add any improvement in a lot of films, but for me this one really benefits from 3D - it definitely adds an extra dimension (if you pardon the pun!)