Profile for P. MCKEEVER > Reviews

Content by P. MCKEEVER

P. MCKEEVER "The Blue Review" (UK London)

The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Martina Gedeck
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 24 Jan. 2008
I started to watch this film with my wife and daughter who were both immediately put off by the sub-titles, so they wandered off and did other things while I watched it to the end. They should have stayed because they missed one of the great films of the modern era. It is one of the most gripping films that I have seen in years. Beautifully acted, wonderfully written and very, very chilling. Through a tragic love storey set in the communist controlled East Germany it defines the statement, 'all that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing'. If you take the freedom we enjoy in the western world for granted, watch this film and learn what you can lose if society slips into totalitarianism, whether it's of the left, right or religious variety.
You must watch this film.
Paul McKeever

Sony SRF-M10 Super Slim FM Digital Tuner Personal Radio
Sony SRF-M10 Super Slim FM Digital Tuner Personal Radio

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, 16 Jan. 2007
This is advertised as a digital radio. When Sony Digital Radio is put into the search engine, this comes up. IT IS NOT A DIGITAL RADIO, it only has a digital tuner. I have learnt this to my detriment. If you want a real digital radio this is not for you. As an FM tuner it is OK, but don't be fooled, as [...] seem to want us to be, into believing this is a digital radio.

Henry V [DVD] [1944]
Henry V [DVD] [1944]
Dvd ~ Laurence Olivier
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 20 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Henry V [DVD] [1944] (DVD)
This film has to be viewed in the context of when it was made. WW2 was raging and there was a real threat that we would be invaded by Germany. This film shows the courage of our forefathers who faced a greatly superior French army and inflicted a grievous defeat on them. It re-enforced the wavering belief in these islands that we could stand free in the face of overwhelming odds and remain free men and women. Britons never, never, never shall be slaves etc.

The first time I watched this film I was very moved, exactly what was intended by the makers. Compared to modern day film making techniques it looks a little hammy. However, considering the purpose for which it was made it is a true masterpiece.