Profile for C. Duxbury > Reviews

Content by C. Duxbury

C. Duxbury "Crajik" (N. Yorkshire)

Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
Fahrenheit 451 (Flamingo Modern Classics)
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not a classic, 8 April 2014
This book was probably easier to appreciate in its own time. I am not sure it can stand alongside other modern classics and hold its own. I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't move me.

It Starts With Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A week into whole 30 and feeling fantastic, 6 April 2014
I read this book while putting its core values into practice. I feel fantastic. I can get up earlier with more energy, I eat three nutrient rich meals a day and never feel hungry and at night I am ready for bed and sleep better than I have in years. I was cynical when it came to the scientific claims in this book but for some reason I had faith in the authors theory regardless and I am glad I did. I think this book is going to change mine and my families lives in a good way forever. How many books can you say that about?

The Crow Road
The Crow Road
Price: 4.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying read., 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Crow Road (Kindle Edition)
I read the Wasp Factory years ago and loved it so decided to read another one of his novels. I wasn't disappointed and will definitely buy and read another one of his.

The Woodcutter
The Woodcutter
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea but I read it all nonetheless, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Woodcutter (Kindle Edition)
This book was ok. I read it all and enjoyed parts. It was written like a fairy tale but was the length of a novel, so for me the characters lacked any depth and the story any real meaning, which wouldn't have mattered so much if it had been more entertaining.

I read the book because I had bought it. I wouldn't recommend to friends and I wouldn't seek out another book by this author.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Read in one sitting, 28 Feb 2014
Perhaps this will never be considered a classic, but it was a fantastic read. Moving and thought provoking in places and entertaining throughout. I couldn't put it down.

Football Manager 2007 (PC CD)
Football Manager 2007 (PC CD)
Offered by Satsumo
Price: 5.98

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love football buy this game!, 2 Nov 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have been playing the champ manager series since it all began and I can state after only twelve hours of play that they are now getting as close to perfection as a game of its type can. Football manager 2007 is vast, but none of the detail is wasted. Every attribute can be seen in the way the player moves and plays during a game. The tactics you choose are for the most part followed, and the subtle changes you can make when things aren't going the way you hoped can make a difference. Of course sometimes they don't always close down like you may have asked them to, sometimes the defensive line may not be where you had wished, but how many real managers must face the same frustrations sometimes.

The feeder clubs are a great way of bringing on youth, and it is a good addition to the last version. I haven't had much to do with parent clubs yet but that is about to change as West Brom, the team I just won the championship with (107 points no less), have, without consulting me, just taken on AC Milan.

The main reason to buy this version and not just stick with your 2006 version is the matches themselves. The play is much more realistic. Chances were on 2006 that if you were watching the highlights and the opposition were in position you just held your breath knowing that they were gonna get a pop at your goal. Not now though, players spill the ball much more frequently, possession switches and you never know whose highlight your watching until you see that flashing bar.

I love this game, its not perfect but football isn't. At the end of the day you are a manager not god and that is what makes it fun. Somewhere in the minimum requirements it should state you need an understanding girlfriend because chances are she isn't going to be seeing much of you over the next few months.