Profile for John K. Tancock > Reviews

Content by John K. Tancock

John K. Tancock "John Tancock" (Swansea Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
Jehovah's Witnesses Answered Verse by Verse
Jehovah's Witnesses Answered Verse by Verse
by David A. Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but light., 21 Dec. 2015
Perhaps my expectations were too high. This is a good and helpful book but it just didn't go into detail enough for me.

From the Mind of God to the Mind of Man: A Layman's Guide to How We Got Our Bible

3.0 out of 5 stars Fundamentally fundamentalist if, 4 Dec. 2015
The book will be helpful for its target constituency....'fundamentalists', I am an evangelical not a fundamentalist. It is clearly FOR modern versions but is negative about the versions that translate anthropos as anything other than 'man' ( gender inclusive versions), this is irrational. It's attachment to the KJV ( don't say anything negative about it) seems like a sop to those who still use the archaic version publicly. Much good information in this book. It wasn't written to me though and it's continual reference to fundamentalism ( reflecting its American authorship) and it's odd negativity about the NIV and NCV two of my favourite translations means I've knocked it down from 4 to 3.

How the Bible Came to Be (Ebook Shorts)
How the Bible Came to Be (Ebook Shorts)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great starter, 30 Nov. 2015
It's simple, clear and helpful. For anyone wanting a starter on this Important subject...this is the book for you. Get it!!

Jehovah's Witnesses: A quick and Easy guide to debate: How to respond to Jehovah's Witnesses

2.0 out of 5 stars no progress here, 21 Nov. 2015
Little new and could have employed some more accurate sources of the WT itself. Felt it didn't deal with any subject clearly. Concentrated too much on Christian belief ( which should have been assumed) and didn't meaningfully give practical approaches to dealing with JWs.

The Bible Tells Me So
The Bible Tells Me So
by Peter Enns

1.0 out of 5 stars Why should we believe the bible tells us anything?, 19 April 2015
This review is from: The Bible Tells Me So (Hardcover)
It will be a victim of its own inconsistency. Why doubt all the other bible stories and miracles but yet believe in the resurrevtion of JESUS. . Ends doesn't make a strong enough case for the bibles unreliability either. A sad and dissapointing book.

A New Kind of Christianity: Ten questions that are transforming the faith
A New Kind of Christianity: Ten questions that are transforming the faith
by Brian D. Mclaren

1.0 out of 5 stars Anything but Christianity., 19 April 2015
I have studied, history and theology almost all m life. I work in the apologetics field and have become accustomed to reading anti Christian material. The Quran, Book of Mormon, JW books, atheist books, liberal theology. However tnis book has the privilege of being a book I couldn't finish three times because I was utterly and totally appalled at the misuse of history and theology it contains. It is truly the worst Christian book I have ever read. I am still shaking my head at the multiplicity of factual errors it contains let alone the errors of conclusion and interpretation. I am horrified because of the people it will mislead.

Which Bible Translation Should I Use?: A Comparison of 4 Major Recent Versions
Which Bible Translation Should I Use?: A Comparison of 4 Major Recent Versions

4.0 out of 5 stars an expert guide, 21 Nov. 2014
Always a challenge to understand and decide on which version to use. Wayne Grudem is the most evangelistic in selling his version ( the ESV). But Douglas Moo more even handed for his ( the NIV). The four guides do a great job though. My preference is indeed for the NIV but we are truly blessed with a surfeit of translations in English!

Church Zero
Church Zero
by Peyton Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Cry, weep, then DO!, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Church Zero (Paperback)
Church Zero. by Peyton Jones
A review by a 'JT' a Welshman!!
I saw the package when I arrived home at 4.30 yesterday. Some calorific sustenance was ingested and by 5pm I was getting started. I am a fast reader and 4 hours later I finished it I was exhausted. I had laughed out loud on a number of occasions particularly on p92 of the hardcopy version (go on buy a copy to find out why ). I cried and was deeply moved as Peytons narrative either amplified my own feelings about an issue or slammed me from a direction I wasn't expecting. Pages p26 p65 p166 and p176 where comments were made about the lack of engagement with youth had me very moved.
I come from a Church background where many of the things he addresses are a normal part of the language particlarly 'Apostles', I can see though how this book could be like a much needed hand grenade that blows up securely held positions to get the defenders out to 'gain ground not just hold it' as he often states.
His use of cultural connection points is prodigious, He man Master of the Universe, She Ra, Lord of the rings, Star wars and above all the Matrix are regularly referenced as are various Rock bands like U2, , he also references Eusebius 4th century Church historian,Chaucer as well as a range of Scholars and Evangelical luminaries.
Don't be fooled this is no superficial romp around 'being relevant' and 'down with the kids'. To dismiss what he says with some high handed superiority would be foolish in the extreme. He comes across a bit like Keith Green but without the Piano! This book is a prophetic challenge to Evangelicals, it has key reference to the American Church scene (and we soooo need the Church in the States to be strong relevant and Kingdom focussed in the decades to come) leaders need to read it , believe it AND make the changes , bold, scary changes . He is not a theorist (God deliver us from theorists) he is a multiple Church planter in a much more hostile and secular culture than the States are (at the moment), he is not some ranter from the balcony, he has dirt under his fingernails and bruises that are his badge of authority to speak into the Church and the Churches.
I don't want to compare but I have to. There are those who speak via books and platform to the Church in the 'West' like Bell and Mclaren who to varying degrees see the way forward as compromise with culture and in any practical sense try and 'get around the teaching of the Bible', the danger is that these people are really nice guys and are good communicators. Well lets welcome a relevant communicator to whom compromise on essentials would be an incomprehensible thought and impossible action. he sees the way forward as MORE confidence in the gospel, MORE confidence in the Church as authentic community MORE engagement with the needy people around us. He is a man who boldly and clearly says 'culture must bow to scripture' p124 ...... did you hear that people?
Listen to what Church Zero says even if it says 'your Church sucks' (ch 8 heading) or asks you to 'show me your Kung Fu' (ch 6 heading). You would be foolish not to.
Its a great book to plunder for some bits of punchy poetry and anecdotes but if that is all you do then you of all people most miserable.
Does this radical book have any shortcomings? Yes but they aren't worth mentioning apart from one its all about p20 and JUNIA! But that as they say is another story and perhaps another book.
'JT' John Tancock
JTs blospot.

REMEMBER: The Revival Power of Remembering the Persecuted
REMEMBER: The Revival Power of Remembering the Persecuted

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight between the eyes, 13 May 2013
Its a small book with a BIG message. Read it , read it read it! To be inspired to be shocked and to be challenged. Andy Miller tells it well and it will hit you between the eyes. Be prepared to never be the same again.

In The Beginning Was The Logos
In The Beginning Was The Logos
by Paul Pavao

4.0 out of 5 stars YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!!, 1 Jun. 2012
Man Alive what a book! I've worked in the `apologetics' field for years, defending the Trinity is something I do in my sleep....and then I read this book. The authors extensive knowledge and obvious love of the ante Nicene fathers comes across in every page. His writing style isn't pretentious, stuffy or academic but he IS competent in his field and a great communicator.
I read the first few chapters giving an extensive history of the build up and events of Nicea, and even though having read many books and articles on the subject, I was still hooked. Not holding a hardcopy book in my hand I thought I was coming to the end of the book, but no I was wrong even more unfolded with excursions into `Pope', Elders and Deacons and so much more. He really should do a series on the Christian views of various issues in the first 300 years!
The authors `big sell' is his appeal for us to return to nicene orthodoxy and not to over define Trinity so we are afraid to say `to us there is one God the father and one Lord Jesus Christ'. He is orthodox of course, I wasn't stressed about that so I didn't go into `defending the faith' mode but his points are challenging.
I really would like this book to have wide appeal and acceptance however I think the use of the word `subordinationism' will I think cause many to stumble before they can honestly consider the point being made. Its such an ungainly word, there must be a better way. I wish he had engaged with the `split Shma' view of Hurtado/ Bauckham where God (El/Elohim) and LORD (YHWH) are used by Paul to share between the Father and the Son, that would have been helpful and enriched his argumentation.
However I felt strangely warmed by his almost revelatory main thesis, humoured by his destruction of many a myth about the period and the books material is still churning around in my head as I seek to apply it into Apologetic and teaching situations.
I can't recommend it enough, Nicene orthodoxy is good enough for me and as he ably shows it is THE way to refute some of those anti Trinitarian attacks. It restored my faith in many leadig members of my family in the pre Nicene period.
The book would be really helpful to anyone working in Apologetics, thinking Church leaders and Bible teachers and should be compulsory reading for Bible college students on the Christology or Church History modules!!

`JT' John Tancock