Profile for acasia > Reviews

Mahjong Deluxe HD
Mahjong Deluxe HD
Price: 0.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Mahjong Deluxe HD (App)
I enjoy solitaire so this is right up my street. Died crash sometimes though

Card Wars - Adventure Time Card Game
Card Wars - Adventure Time Card Game
Price: 2.73

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 5 Aug. 2015
I have the physical card game of this & like it but the app regally crashes which is annoying!

Lansinoh Latch Assist

Real World
by Natsuo Kirino
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars hmmm....., 24 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Real World (Paperback)
I seem to have bought an ex Kent library book ¡V oh well! It has a nice plastic cover so it doesn¡t get wet when I read in the bath. One of three of Kirino¡s books translated into English that I¡ve read. Out her previous best seller was gruesome to say the least so I thought I¡d give this one a go.

`A matricidal murderer`-When a book begins with a murder ¡V where else can it go?? Telling events through different characters eyes we learn of the journey of Worm and how he killed his mother ¡V seriously this is not a spoiler as it is in the first few pages! Maybe this is a book where you can read the back pages as you already know what¡s going to happen.
Yuzan¡s chapter 2 is intriguing, with bits of the underworld that seem to crop up in Japanese novels. I always have a trouble with geography when reading Japanese books not being familiar with the distances ¡V is that like a 5 min bike ride of 5 hours?? Because it might make a big difference. I tend to get a little map and doodle dots on it to try and get an idea! My geography sucks!

Terauchi¡s thoughts that `There really are things that are irreparable` will ring true in many peoples ears and she is an intriguing private character. Following all of the four girls `dependable Toshi brainy Terauchi, Yuzan grief stricken and confused and Kirarin¡Kreckless` we follow the progressing story. Despite the multiple perspectives the writing is smooth, seamlessly fitting together. Inner most thoughts of what motivates each character are exposed. The adolescent girls struggle to understand and piece together the elements of their personalities ¡V some unsuccessfully with drastic consequences. If the events had happened in their twenties would the characters have handled it differently I wonder?
I don¡t know why, but I warm to Yuzan in this book. The account of the intense sexual feelings between Worm and Kirarin from both sides is intriguing. All of the characters are strong in their own ways. I wonder what each of them will grow into after these experiences??

By the way people ¡V you can¡t read the last few pages like I thought to start with ¡V you¡d destroy the ending Don¡t think this book really caught me tbh¡K..

Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
Nothing to Envy: Real Lives in North Korea
by Barbara Demick

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 9 Jan. 2011
Outstanding!
I picked this up from the library despite it being a top book (you have one week to read and return) & I couldn't put it down.
I was touched by the intimacy of the 15yr relationship between lovers who were in many ways not conventionally that. Despite being unable to publically be together the bound they formed in the darkness struck a cord in my heart.

Desperate mothers cooking weeds & grass to try to feed themselves.Heart wrenching accounts of a young ambitous doctor unable to save anyones life, only just surviving herself. Pride & national loyalty illuminated as choices that effect life and death.

The way the stories are interwoven is unique. Drawing from different classes & cultures from this society giving a eclectic overview of what a true life is like in North Korea.