Profile for Mr. J. Allfree > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Allfree

Mr. J. Allfree "jallfree" (UK)

LIFX Multi-Coloured WiFi Enabled LED Smart Light Bulb, Pearl White - Edison Screw E27

4.0 out of 5 stars easy to set up as long as you follow the ..., 5 Feb. 2015
I have 4 of these. They are very well made, easy to set up as long as you follow the instructions. The new LIFX 2.0 software is now out which makes it a lot more versatile (you update the lightbulb firmware via wi-fi). They work very well and reliably. Any colour you want, easy to dim, some amusing extra features like the Music visualiser (basically disco lights to the music!). Though I have no idea what to use the strobe effect for except making myself feel ill.

The good
The new software (app) connects to the bulbs a lot faster than it used to (originally there was annoying lag when you opened the app until it found the lightbulbs - this has gone)
The App/Bulbs can now link with the IFTTT app (If this then that) which allows you do things like... have lights turn on when you get home, lights turn on when you leave home, turn on/off at set times, fade on/off with getting up or going to bed. this is just a few of the things. Evidently you can get lights to flash when you get an email or Facebook like but I can't see me using this
You can also now turn on your lights remotely when your not at home (not sure the use of this yet but I'm sure I'll find one!)

The bad
These bulbs have novelty value... I don't use them that much from my phone. But it does allow me to get the light set up I want in a room and tweak it until it's just right. You really won't (unless your a complete geek) turn your lights on and off from the phone... the light switch is far easier. Philips Hue have realised this and now to a remote light switch you can mount anywhere with no wiring or batteries)
They aren't cheap and I reckon for mood lighting and tweaking stuff you need 2 in a room

The Ugly
Nothing really to complain about but for completely remote use you have to leave the light switch on, and switch it off on your phone. If the light is 'on' and connected to wi-fi even if the LED are not lit (if that makes sense) they use power. Not much but LIFX last time I looked aren't revealing how much power they use.

I'm mainly using the extra features to have lights turn on an off when I'm not at home to deter burglars and to have a light turn on when I arrive home when it's dark by linking with the IFTTT app

For Wi-Fi enabled light bulbs to get more penetration into the market I think the price needs to come down. There is cheaper stuff out there but so far I reckon only LIFX and Philips Hue have done a proper job

Wild Sling - Giant Water Bomb Launcher
Wild Sling - Giant Water Bomb Launcher
Offered by Urban Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars Launch Things Into Next Week, 29 Sept. 2014
It's a no brainer. Excellent for launching water bombs (or anything else that you find lying around... tennis balls, pork pies, eggs etc). You need a minimum of 3 people (though we managed it with 2 people and a goal post). Children over the age of 6 can normally do the launching but if they are too light they nearly launch themselves. You really can make stuff fly a long way (over houses, trees, cliffs etc). Never a dull moment. Lives in the boot of my car so ready of any occasion)

The Deaths of Tao (Lives of Tao)
The Deaths of Tao (Lives of Tao)
by Wesley Chu

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, doesn't take itself too seriously but got me ..., 29 Sept. 2014
Lighthearted, funny, doesn't take itself too seriously but got me completely hooked. A fantastic follow up to the Lives of Tao (which you need to read first. Real quality sci-fi/fantasy

The Windup Girl
The Windup Girl
by Paolo Bacigalupi

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic (debut) novel, 29 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Windup Girl (Paperback)
Fantastic (debut) novel, set in the near future and the quality of World building that Bacigalpi manages is stunning. It took me while to get into the book but once I was there I was hooked. Although set in an Orwellian post global warming/post oil future its not one that drags you down with depression and dirge. It should be noted his other books The Drowned Cities and Ship Breaker take everything another notch higher (to five stars) and are set in the same Future. If you like quality Sci-Fi and Fantasy this is one to add to the list of must reads.

This Moose Belongs to Me
This Moose Belongs to Me
by Oliver Jeffers

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Book By Oliver Jeffers, 13 Dec. 2012
Another great book. Though it has a very different feel to is compared to Lost & Found, How To Catch A Star and Up & Down. Jeffers has uses the book to illustrate using numerous different artistic techniques and styles which vary though the book (you get the feeling he had a lot of fun painting some big epic landscapes). I realise kids won't care about this but it does make it a fun book just to look at the pictures. As ever it has the typical quirky story that is bound to keep adults and kids amused. Maybe not his best work but then the bar is so high with Jeffers books that even this is excellent. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2012 8:40 PM GMT

Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 with Outdoor Hull (Orange/ Blue)
Parrot AR.Drone 2.0 with Outdoor Hull (Orange/ Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome bit of kit, 9 Aug. 2012
I've wanted an AR Drone since they came out 2 years ago. When version 2.0 was released I caved in and bought one.

Things to note:
- Many parts on the outer shells are stuck on. Go around everything when new and make sure it is stuck down properly. On both indoor and outdoor hulls the magnet which holds it onto the base came unstuck on mine
- YOU WILL break propellor shafts - I've broken 2 already. Order the 4 pack of gears/shafts/circlips. Pity you can't buy the shafts on their own. I think they are a deliberate weak point to stop other things breaking (motors/propellors). I have spare propellors but not broken any yet. Maybe get the drone tool as well as ciclips are fiddly (though care and jewellers screwdrivers or teeny pliers will work)
- Until you are (really) good at flying, fly over something soft (grass) - you will crash (if a gust of wing catches it in a turn and it tilts too far the engines cut out and it will plummet to the ground)
- Do not fly in anything but a light wind or less - it will crash more
- Don't expect to be able to fly from the screen on your phone
- Flight time is only about 15 mins - order another battery if you want more play time
- May be obvious, but turn the sound on on your ipad/iphone etc - it gives you an audible warning with the battery is low (once this sounds, land quickly and it cuts out seconds after the alarm)
- The video recording feature is fun but not amazing - don't expect too much of it.
- The down facing camera it aweful - it's purely there for the oboard computer to detect movement

Overall awesome piece of technology. Do buy the spares, you will need them. It's expensive but great fun (Parrot do not recommend for anyone under 15 I think... I think they're probably right)
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2012 4:09 PM GMT

Warbreaker
Warbreaker
by Brandon Sanderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Warbreaker (Paperback)
Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is awesome, one of the best fantasy series I've every read. When I saw Warbreaker coming out it was on pre-order straight away. I was slightly put off by the badly written back cover which makes little sense, but I wasn't going to let that put me off. The book is ok and fills some time. At no point did it fully engage me and keep me reading late into the night. It is at best, acceptable. Compared to the mistborn series - it's like someone else wrote it.

If you are tempted by this book and have not read the mistborn series... start there and blow your mind away!

At the Gates of Darkness (The Riftwar Cycle: The Demonwar Saga Book 2, Book 26) (Demonwar Saga 2)
by Raymond E. Feist

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacking at best, 1 Feb. 2010
Feist seems to have lost his way over the his last few books. I'm a huge Feist fan, but this book at best is poor. It lacks depth, feels rushed and characters aren't really developed. Pug who was a loveable character seems to have grown old and boring. Feist should do some more books with Janny Wurts. Now they are great books