ARRAY(0xa82ea2e8)

Profile for Miss C. Rainsbury > Reviews

Content by Miss C. Rainsbury

Miss C. Rainsbury "Childminder" (Isle of Wight)

Page: 1 | 2
Black Dynamite [Blu-ray] [2009] [US Import]
Black Dynamite [Blu-ray] [2009] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Arsenio Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious film, but buyer beware!, 30 Jan 2014
The American Blu-ray is Region A locked, meaning that it won't play on standard UK machines.

If you want Black Dynamite on the premium format, then go over to Amazon Germany and buy the native copy released there. I had the German disc for Christmas, and the only thing you lose is the commentary track. All other extras are the same, with even a few exclusive (if minor) ones over the US edition.

You are sacrificing nothing in quality, as it comes with a DTS HD:MA English soundtrack which will shake the foundations, and the image looks exactly as intended. The German title is the same, and at first glance, you wouldn't even notice it's german! You can pick it up and import it for about the price of a new UK release, so what are you waiting for? It's worth interrupting your kung-Fu to get a slice of comedy gold!

Merlino Space Pod Cage for Small Rodents Hamsters Mice
Merlino Space Pod Cage for Small Rodents Hamsters Mice

1.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for small hamsters or mice and not that great for Syrians either!, 10 July 2012
Thinking that our small Roborovski hamster was maybe a little timid and was hiding behind Perspex in her `cage', we thought that we would get her a new habitat with bars that would allow for hand feeding treats and thus bring her out of her shell. We also thought she may be a bit bored of simply going round and round in her wheel and would like a few ledges to clamber up.

I spent a lot of time looking for the right cage for her and was rather taken with the Merlino Space Pod cage. It appeared to tick all the boxes, couple of platforms and ladders for her to scamper up, a fairly deepish bottom tray so she could burrow when she fancied plus had the required bars so we could offer treats and gain her trust.

Arriving very quickly, I set to work putting it together without the benefit of instructions, a lack of which seems per normal in hamster cage construction these days, but I have put together quite a few cages over the years and there weren't that many pieces so wasn't too hard without them.

First problem was the middle wire section doesn't simply slot onto the base as expected, and took a lot of manoeuvring just to get it to fit. The ledges don't exactly fit snugly either, which means they are hard to line up exactly and the ladders which attach to them fix by way of hook, leaving a good couple of centimetre gap for a poor, unwitting hamster to plunge through.

The Perspex dome lid took ten minutes to attach, successfully affixing on one side only for it to pop off the other. Finally come the four clips which hold the sections together- they are not exactly secure, wrestling with them for ages because they stuck out, and even when fixed on, I wasn't convinced I had them on correctly.

I was initially happy with the overall look though and our hamster moved in on the Friday night. All was well until my other half checked on her before turning in on Sunday night only to be met with her quickly scurrying across the carpet, heading straight for the underside of the TV cabinet. After half an hour chasing Splink and flushing her out from behind the skirting board, all the while being watched with great amusement by the gerbils, degus, Syrian hamster and chinchilla, we managed to catch her under the top of a smaller and much more secure cage, in which she has taken up permanent residence-much to her disgust after her brief taste of sweet freedom!

If you want a cage that gives your pet the chance to practice escapology in a bid to be the next Houdini, then this is the one for you. If, on the other hand, you would rather your pet be in the same place you left it and not face the possibility of stepping on it then look elsewhere.

Rather than waste money, we have been out and bought another Syrian for this cage but even he is finding fault with it in that the platforms have no guard rail and he has already tumbled off the edge more than once or twice, not to mention getting stuck in the window of the supplied house, to the point of having to be rescued - and they say this is useable for Syrians?

I have also noted that the front cage door doesn't exactly fit all that snugly, being straight while the middle section is curved (round peg and square hole spring to mind!)

In my opinion this cage isn't worth the money and I certainly wouldn't recommended it for any small animal, in general it is too easily escapable for the smaller rodents and just that little bit too cramped (and impractical) for the larger ones.

I am so unhappy with it, to the point where Zoltan, our latest hamster addition, will soon be getting a much safer cage!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2013 12:20 AM GMT

Sea Penguins Leather Placemat New Gift Set, Ref:AB-101P
Sea Penguins Leather Placemat New Gift Set, Ref:AB-101P
Offered by Advanta Products
Price: 24.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Pick up a penguin..., 30 May 2011
As a huge fan of anything to do with penguins, I have been looking for penguin placemats for ages and although a little pricey I think these mats are worth the money. They are made of good quality materials and are very robust plus the clear photograph picture design is adorable.
We have used these almost everyday for the last six months and they are showing no signs of any wear and tear or fading.
Maybe a bit more expensive than your average mat but then these aren't your average mat and I was prepared to pay a little extra for something I couldn't get elsewhere.

Chicco Jazzy Highchair (Light Blue)
Chicco Jazzy Highchair (Light Blue)

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best highchair...in the world!, 29 May 2011
Being a childminder for nearly ten years I have bought numerous highchairs to use in my setting and have to say that this is by far the best of the bunch.

Obviously usability and the child's comfort are the most important factors for me when chosing a chair but because I work from home I also look for ease of storage so our house doesn't look like a nursery out of hours when the kids aren't with me.

This chair has it all and ticked every box for me. The three position, removable, tray is essential and on this model is simple to use, goes on and comes off easily every time without the need for having to try and line up to an exact millimetre like I've had problems with other chairs in the past. The multi-position back is a great feature, one that I've found doesn't always come as standard, and is handy for altering the chair according to whichever child is using it or for allowing the chair to be adapted as your child grows.

The legs are easy to remove with a simple push button system, meaning that I can keep the chair in the box when not being used and because of how quick it is to open out and add the legs, means it can be ready for a hungry child in less than a minute.

The harness is practical and keeps the child secure, plus the whole thing is wipe clean-what else could you need.

If you are looking for a chair that you have space to keep assembled all the time, want to spend the equivalent of next months mortage on or want made of solid oak then this probably isn't the one for you. If on the otherhand you are short of space, want a sturdy, practical and adaptable chair offering great value for money, then look no further.

Superpet Chin-Chilla Cool Mat
Superpet Chin-Chilla Cool Mat

3.0 out of 5 stars I would recommend buying two, 8 May 2011
Given the recent hot spell we have had and the dangers I've been warned of Chinchillas over-heating I thought I would treat my two to one of these to help cool them down, especially as one of them likes to lie in the sun, oblivious to the perils of heat stroke.

They weren't quite sure of it at first and avoided jumping onto it but after a few days they seemed to instinctively know what it was for and will happily curl up together to keep cool.

It doesn't take long for their body heat to warm the tile up, although once they are off, it cools again just as quickly. For this reason I bought a second and keep one in the fridge while one is in the cage, very handy when the weather is really hot.

Small "N" Furry - Boredom Breakers Flying Saucer
Small "N" Furry - Boredom Breakers Flying Saucer
Offered by Amber Wolf
Price: 7.48

4.0 out of 5 stars The Degus enjoy it, 8 May 2011
Yet again I found something which I originally purchased for the Chinchillas that would've been a complete waste of money if I didn't have other small furries to road test it too.

Left it in the Chinchilla cage for over three weeks and during that time all they did was sit in it every now and then with a kind of "well what's it supposed to do?" look on their faces. It was when they started chewing it that I decided that they probably weren't going to use it for its intended purpose so after a good wash I offered it to the three Degus who had just about destroyed their wheel and were looking rather disappointed that they could no longer go round without falling through the hole they had made.

This wheel not only needs a flat surface, it also needs a fair bit of clearance around it too so I needed to have a major shift around in the cage to fit it in but was worth it. It took the Degus about ten minutes to get on it, curiousity gets the better of them every time, then about a further ten minutes to work out how to run on it. Took slightly longer to work out how more than one could use it at a time without flying off but only by a matter of hours.

If I had any complaint it would be that there is no way to fix it down so every now and then it moved towards the edges of the cage and didn't turn as freely as it should, initially the noise of it grating against the bars put them off a little, now it just annoys us rather then them.
Would recommend for smaller animals, our Chinchillas just weren't interested, but then maybe that's just ours.

F13 Sky Three Storey Ferret Chinchilla Mammal Cage
F13 Sky Three Storey Ferret Chinchilla Mammal Cage
Offered by Posh Pets
Price: 120.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money - with a few points..., 18 April 2011
I bought this cage about a week before getting my two chinchillas and I'm glad I did because although it is a great cage, it did need a bit of tweaking before it was ready for my balls of fluff to call home. I decided to take the bottom ramp out to give more floor space for them to play as the ledges aren't incredibly big. Sure, they are large enough for them to sit and snuggle up against each other on, but they are inquisitive creatures by nature, they do play with the toys I provide for their amusement but I didn't really want them sky-diving from the top whilst trying to throw a ball around. I decided to purchase a few chinchilla ledges to dot around in order to provide them with extra look-out posts, observing seemingly being their favourite hobby.

The plastic shield that fixes around the bottom does stop a little of the sawdust and hay ending up on the carpet, but I do find myself having to hoover every morning despite such protective measures, so it's a good job the cage is on casters for easy manoeuvring.

I also found the purchase of a food bowl to fix to the side of the cage an advantage, not only does it free up valuable ledge space but it also stops the little blighters throwing their food bowl around.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a new chinchilla cage, but you may have to be prepared to customise it before moving your pets in, given how stressed they can get if you start to move their 'furniture' around while they are trying to get their bearings.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 10:45 PM GMT

Rosewood Small Animal Activity Toy Rat and Ferret Cargo Net Boredom Breaker
Rosewood Small Animal Activity Toy Rat and Ferret Cargo Net Boredom Breaker
Price: 8.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great as a safety net, 7 April 2011
After rearranging my Degus cage I was left with a hole in a dividing platform that was fine for them to scamper through to reach the top section of the cage but was rather worrying everytime the three of them jostled for the best position in the sun one invariably fell off a ledge with nothing to break its fall until it landed on the bottom of the cage. Other than training them to perfect a parachute roll on landing I decided on this cargo net which I placed just underneath the hole. It was ideal, left enough room for them to crawl onto and get into the top of the cage but also provided a nice soft landing for whichever one ended up over the edge. As with lots of things, they did chew it and once they had a taste for it wouldn't leave it alone until completely destroyed but this did take them a good few months and they are currently on their forth. Quality product that is a reasonable price considering how long it lasts and I will continue to replace as they get chewed.

Goodspeed South East Chinchilla Nest Box
Goodspeed South East Chinchilla Nest Box
Offered by Surepets ltd
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job perfectly, 5 April 2011
I bought this because it was what my two Chinchillas were sleeping in at the pet shop and was assured that it was all they would need. I was a little doubtful that there would be enough room for both at the same time but need not have worried. Both bundles of fluff happily curl up together and there is even a bit of growing room. I am sure it will eventually go the way of lots of things they have in their cage and will be chewed to pieces but they have had it for three months so far and have only just started to nibble the front edge. As well as a sleeping place it also provides a further ledge for them to jump and rest on, during the recent warm spell both could be found stretched out on top. Quality product that does exactly what it says, highly recommended.

Kaytee (Was Superpet) Lava Ledge
Kaytee (Was Superpet) Lava Ledge
Price: 4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the lava swing, 5 April 2011
After a disappointing experience with the lava swing I bought one of these for my two Chinchillas and they took to it straight away. Within seconds they were both trying to climb on it and chew it at the same time-maybe I should've got two. Once the initial excitement of something new had died down they were happy to take turns at it and restrain themselves to a little nibble every now and then, as a result it has lasted for over a month and still going strong. Good product, very impressed with the quality and design, I will be making a repeat purchase when it does eventually end up as dust through their best efforts....

Page: 1 | 2