Profile for coreuser > Reviews

Content by coreuser

coreuser

AA Driver's Atlas Britain 2014 (International Road Atlases)
AA Driver's Atlas Britain 2014 (International Road Atlases)
by AA Publishing

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking little road atlas, 22 Aug 2013
I bought this to replace the 2010 version which I keep in my motorbike topbox.
It is an excellent road atlas, well made, quality paper, clear printing and maps, ideal for the glove box or motorbike when the satnav gets you into trouble! I always look at the map anyway so i have good idea of the route

The only drawback is one that is an inevitable consequence of the size, for a reasonable scale (4 miles/inch) you need lots (230+) of small (A5) pages to cover the UK so there is more of the inevitable problem of the place you want being over the page or in the crease in the middle.

If you are a sad git like me that loves maps anyway, this is a pleasure to use and look at.
PS there arent any of those (useless anyway) town centre maps that never show the bit you want of the town you want! No great loss!

The Notes and The Words: A Collection Of Demos & Rarities
The Notes and The Words: A Collection Of Demos & Rarities

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful "must have" fresh look at Sandy Dennys music, 30 Oct 2012
I bought the North Star Grassmen and the Raven as an LP many years ago, and then lost track of Sandy Denny's music. I have recently rediscovered her work and appreciate it and her peerless voice much more now in my advanced years!

I would have loved to be able to afford the complete boxed set but can't so bought this instead, wondering after the event what I was going to get, "demos, rarities and outtakes" sounds a bit like musical floor sweepings, and scratchy old recordings.

Fear not, its wonderful, the sound quality is good, quiet backgrounds and clear sound with Sandy's voice captured well in these usually simple recordings of Sandy with piano or guitar. It seems that with Fairport convention, she sometimes recorded herself with guitar, and the bass, drums etc were added by the rest of the group later, and some of the tracks here are those pre recordings, and valid in their own right.

An important aspect of this set is that it covers more or less her whole career and includes examples from the various solo and group periods of her career. There are large chunks of whole albums, although it is "only" 4 cds, they are full of music and you get 75 tracks. There are some tracks where you can hear the badinage between musicians, and Sandy's fruity laugh.

The set is very nicely presented with interesting and insightful notes ( I would have liked more) and lots of photos.

If you are a Sandy fan, this should be in your collection in my humble view
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2012 6:04 PM GMT

Garmin Zumo 220 3.5" Sat Nav for Motorcycles with UK and Full Europe Maps and Bluetooth
Offered by Electronics and Gadgets Direct Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Zumo 220 can corrupt routes from Mapsource, 9 Jun 2011
Let me make my position clear from the start, I only use Satnav's where I can programme in my own detailed route from a PC and then squirt the route into the satnav to follow when travelling.

I cannot comment on the use of the Zumo 220 as a point to point do as you are told satnav, I haven't used it this way.

I bought the 220 because I already have a zumo 660, but the wife keep knicking it when I want to use it, ( to be fair, it was bought for her!) it works fine in the mode I have described above.

I decided I wanted to be able to do the same thing on my motorbike, but didnt want to shell out for a 660 again, so I got the 220, thinking that I could use the existing pc routes on the 220.

When I download a proven route into the Zumo 220, it corrupts it so that you might end up on wrong roads, or even non existent roads. I have not tested this problem exhaustively,(life is too short) it is unusable on the two long routes I have tried.

After a frustrating few days with Garmin support, they came to the conclusion that it was not only my unit at fault as they had a similar problem! They couldn't tell me when the problem might be fixed!

I sent the Zumo back for a refund!