Profile for Peter Jones > Reviews

Content by Peter Jones

Peter Jones (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Pentel 1.0mm Tip Hybrid Gel Grip Dx Metallic Gold Ink Pen with Chunky Barrel - Gold
Offered by FiveBoys Stationery Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Gold., 10 May 2016
Excellent. Writes well. Feels nice in your hand. It's gold. What's not to love?

Plugable USB 2.0 Switch for One-Button Swapping of USB Device/Hub Between Two Computers (A/B Switch)
Offered by Plugable Technologies

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific piece of kit., 21 Nov. 2014
After browsing other similar items on amazon (which were either pricey or a bit cheap looking) I eventually googled my problem and found a youtube video demonstrating this box in exactly the set up I was hoping to use it; it. One brand new Mac Mini and one ancient Dell PC sharing the same (wired) keyboard & mouse. Though the Dell box took a moment to figure out the new configuration (partly, I suspect, because both the keyboard and mouse have to be plugged into a USB small hub which then plugs into the switch) it worked effortlessly from then on.

My only gripe - if it is a gripe - is the blister pack this unit comes in which you need a set of industrial bolt cutters (or really sharp kitchen scissors) to get into. What's wrong with a simple cardboard box? Anyway, let's not mention it again and pretend that never happened. Five stars.

Thanks guys - terrific work.

ELEMENTS OF LIFE (BOOK 1)
ELEMENTS OF LIFE (BOOK 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with emotion, 29 Aug. 2013
I've been a long time fan of short fiction, and this collection of shorts from author David Kendrick doesn't fail to deliver.

Elements of Life is an interesting mix of standard short fiction, and even shorter 'flash' fiction. And whilst each story has some sort of earth, water, air or fire theme, the actual element they each share is emotion. An author friend of mine once told me that the stock and trade of a writer is 'emotion', and this being the case Mr Kendrick delivers a lot of bang for your buck.

Take for instance the lead story, 'Elements' - my favourite of the eight - a story about a young boy coming to terms with the loss of his grandfather. Whilst I lost my own grandfather in my thirties, and he was a very different man to the sun worshipping Father Christmas lookalike Kendrick presents to us, something inside me resonates none the less. And that is the power of a good story teller.

Looking forward to your next book David.

The Self Confidence & Self Esteem Bible: The one-stop resource for stressed wives & mothers on understanding, building & keeping your self-confidence & self-esteem

5.0 out of 5 stars Say goodbye to your lame excuses, 23 Mar. 2012
Possibly the most concise self-help book I've ever read! Be prepared to have every "yeah-but" quashed as Sarah takes on anything and everything that stands between you and your self-confidence.
This is a book you'll want to refer back to again and again and again.
(Peter Jones, author of How To Do Everything and Be Happy)

5 Star Office Noticeboard Cork with Pine Frame W600xH400mm
5 Star Office Noticeboard Cork with Pine Frame W600xH400mm
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for creating your own Trophy Board!, 31 Dec. 2011
Andy Warhol, so it's said, never opened any of his post. He merely collected it up, put it in a box, and when that box was full he sealed it and wrote the year on the top. When he died they found boxes and boxes of unopened post.

I've never taken the time to find out just how true this story is, but I do know that the first time I heard it, it had a profound effect on me and I wanted to do the same. And so I started to collect things. Ticket stubs mainly. Be they cinema or theatre tickets, raffle tickets, train tickets, plane tickets, pay-and-display parking tickets. But also postcards, greeting cards, thank you cards, business cards, labels, badges, old credit cards, menus, anything that was evidence of somewhere I'd been, something I'd done, or someone I'd seen or met.

I can't remember what I did with all this junk to start with but eventually (probably in an effort to retain some sort of control over the growing mountain of rubbish) I decided to get a really large cork notice board and pin this stuff to it. And there it hung in my living room - a huge messy board packed with memories. A trophy board. I loved it!

I've been doing this for some years now (twenty or more), and this notice board is amongst the best that I've used over the years. It's cheap, lightweight, but far more durable than some than I've had where the cork has disintegrated or the frame has come apart.

Highly recommended.

Find out more about Trophy Boards in my book and visit the book's website to see how my Trophy Board for this year progressing?
How to Do Everything and be Happy: Your Easy-peasy Guide to Creating Happiness

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell
by Susanna Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 2 Jun. 2011
A friend bought this for me for Christmas and I have to admit I was put off by the sheer size of the tome! It's very Dickensian in writing style - which was a little off putting for the first few pages, but after a couple of chapters I was completely hooked. And it just got better, and better, and better. For the first time ever I was even thankful that I'm not the world's fastest reader because I didn't want it to end.

The only problem with this book is that nothing I've read since lives up to the same standard.

Cat Mate Elite I.D. Disc Cat Flap With Timer Control In White For Cats Without Microchips
Offered by Pettec

4.0 out of 5 stars Best cat flap I've had so far, 21 Dec. 2010
The cat flap actually does the job. It beats the staywell infrared and magnetic flap into a cocked hat. It's robust. It keeps stray cats out, and there are numerous options for keeping certain cats in (or out) at certain times of the day. It's a clever well built piece of kit.

1 x GU10 High Power Cree LED's 3 x 1w = 50w Halogen
1 x GU10 High Power Cree LED's 3 x 1w = 50w Halogen

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an alternative to regular GW10 bulbs, 8 April 2010
I've been trying to replace my GW10 spots with energy efficient bulbs for ages, and it feels like I've tried goodness knows how many alternatives.
Finally I found these. Yes, they're bloomin' expensive - but they seem to be cheaper here (on Amazon) than anywhere else I've found. You can pay double for these bulbs in an actual store.
The bulbs themselves are roughly the same size as a regular GW10 so it's very likely they'll fit your light fitting.
You can't dim them but they'll still work with a dimmer switch. They come on instantly - they don't need to warm up.
And whilst they're LED they don't look like LEDs - they give off a warm yellow light like regular GW10 bulbs (others tend to give off a frosty white light which might not be appropriate).
And finally, they should last for AGES (years) - where normal GW10s seem to last a mere 6 months.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2010 10:55 AM BST

Philips Imageo LED Tealights, Three-Set
Philips Imageo LED Tealights, Three-Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the bathroom, 8 April 2010
Quick review then:

Pros: They look great! They work really well. They last for ages. The way they recharge is very cool.

EXERGI Hyperbright LED Light Bulb, GU10, Wide Flood, Warm White, 2700-3500k
EXERGI Hyperbright LED Light Bulb, GU10, Wide Flood, Warm White, 2700-3500k

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 9 Mar. 2010
Finally an LED bulb that reasonably priced, extremely low energy, and gives off a warm, "standard light-bulb" illumination.
I've tried many different low energy GW10 options - this is by far the best.

Page: 1 | 2