Profile for Robert M > Reviews

Content by Robert M

Robert M (Isle of Wight, UK)

LG 37LS570T 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Smart TV with Freeview HD
LG 37LS570T 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Smart TV with Freeview HD

3.0 out of 5 stars Good picture but poor documentation, 10 April 2013
5/5 for picture quality (once I had reduced the colour saturation).
3/5 for sound quality. Sound is OK, but I'll probably get a sound bar to improve it.
1/5 for documentation. I've never had a smart TV before, and the learning curve was very steep, and wasted many hours of my time.The documentation that comes with this set is APPALLING. The smart TV is about as complicated as my good quality camera, and that came with an 85 page handbook. This TV needs something similar.(But I expect the manufacturer's just want to ship out boxes to the world, and don't want to get involved in printing stuff in lots of languages.)
Also I found there were some unexpected extra expenses required: a LG dongle, a USB Hard Drive, and for me, a wireless modem.
So 3/5 overall.

Object-Oriented JavaScript (From Technologies to Solutions.)
Object-Oriented JavaScript (From Technologies to Solutions.)
by Stoyan Stefanov

4.0 out of 5 stars If you want to properly understand Javascript, read and study this book., 14 April 2012
I was a beginner at Javascript, and learnt the basics from the excellent 'Javascript in Easy Steps'. But too much of my code had flaws in it, and often I didn't understand whether the mistakes I made were due to a fundamental lack of understanding of the language or whether they were due to the quirky way the clever core language has been implemented to interface with the programmer. (I like the idea of Ruby, which is apparently designed to be programmer friendly, though I have never learnt that language.)
Anyway, if you really want to get an understanding of the underlying basics of Javascript this it the book to get. I've purchased a handful of other books, but this one has really helped me.
Short examples of code illustrate the text, and a few exercises at the end of each chapter show you whether you have really grasped the points made.
I've knocked off one point because of indifferent publishing. Better proof reading was required, and the index is far too short. For example, there's no entry under W - not even 'window'!
But if you want to get to a real understanding of how Javascript works, this is the book to get.

Solitary Fitness
Solitary Fitness
by Charles Bronson

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned unread, 2 Jan 2010
This review is from: Solitary Fitness (Paperback)
The last page of this book advertises "The Kray's" by Charles Bronson - 'Men of honour, men of respect'. Such romanticism of sadistic torturers and murderers is not for me, so I returned Bronson's book about fitness unread. It may or may not be useful, though the b&w photos are poor quality.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2013 8:25 AM GMT