Profile for Zara > Reviews

Wishful Thinking
Wishful Thinking
by Melissa Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 26 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Wishful Thinking (Paperback)
I've just finished reading Wishful Thinking on holidays and I raced through it, not wanting to put it down. The characters in this book are very real and the story deals with very real issues of ordinary people going about their business when a train crash changes everything. I've become a big fan of Melissa Hill's and hopes she continues to bring out books as good as this one.

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
by John Grogan

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable read, 26 Jan. 2008
I loved this book from beginning to end. It's written simply but beautifully and you can't help but fall in love with Marley, faults and all. He's just such a loveable creature and anybody who has owned a dog will relate to this book. When the rest of the world walks out, often your most loyal friend walks in. Your dog loves you no matter what you look like, no matter where you live or what you do for a living. Anybody who has loved and lost a dog will shed a few tears by the end of this book. I read a lot and often a few days after I've read a book I can't remember what the book was about. Not so with Marley and me. It's one of those life changing reads. Read it and pass it on!

A Little Help from My Friends
A Little Help from My Friends
by Melissa Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, 29 Oct. 2007
I haven't finished reading this book yet but I'm half way there. I always like to have a book of short stories beside my bed at night to read before I nod off. The stories in this collection are diverse and well put together. The theme is friendship and the stories are warm hearted and fun. Some of my favourite writers are here - Marisa Mackle, Melissa Hill, Claudia Carroll, Clare Dowling, Cathy Kelly... I could go on and on...but don't take my word for it ladies, buy it as a treat or for Christmas. All sales of this book help the Irish Hospice Foundation - a very worthy cause.

How To Lose Friends & Alienate People
How To Lose Friends & Alienate People
by Toby Young

4.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down., 21 May 2007
I could not put this book down once I had picked it up. It gives a great insight into American celebrity culture and the whole ridulousness of it all. But that doesn't stop Young desperately trying to be part of the social scene he claims to despise. Amusing at times, with some real laugh out loud moments, it was still hard to relate to Young as he comes across as a strange individula, a person whom you definitely wouldn't like to work closely with or share a house with. Nonetheless a good, clever writer, this book has certinly put him on the map of sorts. Even if it's not a map of the A-listers he so loves to write about.

Rescuing Rose
Rescuing Rose
by Isabel Wolff

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm, engaging and funny, 21 May 2007
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
I loved this book by a truly great writer. The main character Rose was so lovely and I enjoyed reading about her role as an agony aunt. She was very kind to her wheelchair bound neighbour too. The book was funny, easy to read, and almsot impossible to read. I devoured it after taking to the bed for two days to try and mend a broken heart. It certainly cheered me up no end.

Let's Meet On Platform 8
Let's Meet On Platform 8
by Carole Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites..., 21 May 2007
I loved this book and was hooked from beginning to end. The main charcater Terri was a likeable girl and I enjoyed reading about her life and following her on her daily commutes in and out of London. The end was a little sad and I had tears in my eyes for what could have been but realistically could never happen. An emotional but excellent read.

Come Away With Me
Come Away With Me
by Sara MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, brilliant book, 21 May 2007
This review is from: Come Away With Me (Paperback)
Very rarely have I been so unexpectedly blown away by such a moving book. I came across this book totally by accident as somebody had left it in the hotel library when I was on holidays in Cyprus and I had nothing else to read. The book is staggeringly good, beautifully written and immensely thought provoking. It depicts Cornwall so well through its vivid imagary but the wholly orignal storyline is what makes the book so gripping. The story is about two childhood friends who both loved and lost the same man and their subsequent relationship with his surviving son, Adam, the image of his deceased father. This book should come with a warning: it will keep you up at night and you will probably dream about the characters long after you've switched the lights out.

Running The Risk
Running The Risk
by Christina Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have done better..., 4 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Running The Risk (Paperback)
I normally love books by Christina Jones, but although I tried hard to sink my teeth into this book, something just prevented me. I was reading it on a long train journey and was quite tired which might explaine my tendency to nod off while struggling with the story line. It's about a woman who drives a lorry and meets another lorry driver when her truck breaks down in the middle of the night and then he comes to work in her grandmother's business and one thing leads to another.. yawn. Although it is an original idea - most chick lit heroines tend to work as journalists or party planners - it just didn't seem to work for me. However Ms Jones has come up trumps with her other books and is one of the better writers out there so I will give her future books a try.

The Beach Bar
The Beach Bar
by Kate McCabe

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked this book a lot, 4 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Beach Bar (Paperback)
I really liked reading this book having visited the Costa Del Sol several times where the story takes place. The characters are well thought out and likeable and this is a good juicy read which will take you through the holidays. If you're looking for something along the lines of Maeve Binchy or Cathy Kelly, then The Beach Bar certainly won't disappoint!

I Love Capri
I Love Capri
by Belinda Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book ever, 4 Mar. 2007
This review is from: I Love Capri (Paperback)
Okay so I just finished this book. I bought it because of the fantastic cover and great title, but although I finished the story, I wouldn't really have cared if I had mislaid this book and never found out what had happened in the end. The best thing about this book are the descriptions of the island of Capri which are very well done. However I wasn't a fan of the selfish 'heroine' who had no qualms about hopping into bed with a married man knowing full well he was taken. The heroine's mother was a good, interesting character and the mother/daughter relationship was well depicted. The story picked up a bit half way through but overall I was a bit let down by the plot, which was less than rivetting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10