Profile for Zara > Reviews

Remember Me?
Remember Me?
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect escapism!, 23 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Remember Me? (Paperback)
Sophie Kinsella once again comes up trumps with the book 'Remeber Me'. I read this book when I was going through quite a stressful period in work and I really looked forward to going to bed at night with this as I laughed out loud at least a few times, and this is something I usually don't do with books.

The heroine, Lexi, is an immensebly likeable, self-depreciating character. She wakes up from a coma after an accident, thinking it's still 2004 and that she's still going out with her ex, Loser Dave. She is in fact married to an extremely handsome millionaire, has a great figure, designer clothes and lives in an amazing loft-style penthouse. She is also head of her department at work and is now the boss of her three ex-best friends and a whole team of staff. It all seems too good to be true. How did she even get such a wonderful life? If only she could remember!

But as the story moves along, Lexi realises that although her new life may look absolutely wonderful on the outside, it's not so rosy deep down and she is not the happy go-free popular girl she once was. Her ex friends now think she's a bitch and she's not allowed eat carbs!! Maybe Lexi, just maybe, this isn't all its cracked up to be, and she would like her old life back?

Swimsuit
Swimsuit
by James Patterson

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful and sick., 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Swimsuit (Paperback)
This is a misleading book. With the title (Swimsuit) and an enticing holiday type cover, you might be mistakenly fooled into thinking this would be an enjoyable book suitable for the beach. It's not. It's sick and depraved. Did Patterson even read this, never mind write it? If this book was a film it probably would have been banned. it's gratuitiously violent and disturbing, going into explicit unneccessarily violent details at every opportunity. I will not finish it. I will not loan it to anybody nor indeed donate it to a charity shop. I wouldn't be responsible for subjecting another person to this horribly vile book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2013 2:33 AM BST

Bride Wars [DVD]
Bride Wars [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anne Hathaway
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Far fetched but funny, 12 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Bride Wars [DVD] (DVD)
Two best friends fall out because their weddings are double booked on the same day at the same hotel. Frivilous, yet funny with a few laugh-out-loud moments. Watch on your own or with the girls.

Desperately Seeking Susan [DVD] [1985]
Desperately Seeking Susan [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Rosanna Arquette

4.0 out of 5 stars Massive Madonna fan, 15 Aug. 2010
I've probably seen this flick at least 20 times but I never get bored of it. I recently ordered the DVD off Amazon so I could play it on my laptop. Madonna is great in this because, well, she plays herself more or less. She's cocky, funny and looks fab. Rosanna Arquette is the lead in this film however and she's a superb actress. The pair of them complement each other well. Still think 80s movies, despite their cheesiness, were the best. This is a cult film. If you're a Madonna fan you have to have it in your posession.

27 Dresses [DVD] [2008]
27 Dresses [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Katherine Heigl
Offered by I-Deal Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked rather than loved it., 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: 27 Dresses [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I liked this film starring Katherine Heigl but I didn't love it. I'm glad I watched it by myself as it's a pure chick flick - wouldn't make any man sit trhough it. It's about a girl who has been bridesmaid 27 times but nobody has ever asked her to marry them. Sadly she's in love with her handsome boss but the love is wholly uunrequited. He falls in love with her sister under her nose, but there is a happy ending for ll involved. You feel like you've seen it all before but there are a few laugh-out-loud moments and it's perfect if you're a female haing a nice nite in with a glass of wine or having a bit of girly non-taxing fun with your sister girlfriends etc. Oh, and I thought the actor James Marsden who plays the lead was kind of hot!!

Bergdorf Blondes
Bergdorf Blondes
by Plum Sykes

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets better., 14 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Bergdorf Blondes (Paperback)
Okay after the first few pages of the book I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to like this novel which was a pity because I'd brought no other book on my week's holiday. But then as the week went on I read a bit more by the pool and by the end of the week I found myself loking forward to turning the pages. It really does get better. I'm a big reader of chick-lit and I love any book based in New York. I did find the main character's use of the word 'moi' irritating and found all the 'trips to Brazil' references very off-putting but I did enjoy reading about her friends and their vacuous lives and yes, I did get the 'satire'. This book isn't supposed to make you want to love the characters and identify with their silliness. You don't have to be a genuis to see that the author's tongue was firmly in her cheek as she wrote this. However if I'm being honest I probably would prefer Candace Bushnell or Sophie Kinsella. If I was given another Plum Sykes book as a present I'd read it but I'm not so sure I'd run out and buy it.

Knocked Up [DVD]
Knocked Up [DVD]
Dvd ~ Seth Rogen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not funny, 16 May 2010
This review is from: Knocked Up [DVD] (DVD)
Didn't find it funny. I'm a big fan of Katherine Heigel but she was unfortunately miscast in this poor comedy. The story is about a beautiful successful career girl who gets pregnant by a an overweight unemployed loser after a one night stand and how they try and make the relationship work after the girl gets pregnant. There's too much vulgarity and crudeness in this to make it an appealing rom com. Maybe it's for somebody else; not me though.

Before I Forget
Before I Forget
by Melissa Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Just finished this. Brilliant!, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Before I Forget (Paperback)
I'm a massive fan of contemporary Irish writers and Melissa Hill is no exception. In fact I'd probably go as far as saying that she is one of my all-time favourites. All her books are completely different with amazing twists and she really makes you care about her characters. I thought the plot of this book was clever and original. It's about a girl who starts losing her memory after an accident and about how she struggles to remember the things that are most important to her before all her memory is erased. I love the way this author always depicts families very well, not unlike Marian Keyes. I've already bought her new book and I'm dying to read it.

Material Girls [DVD]
Material Girls [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hilary Duff
Offered by Leisurezone

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time., 10 May 2010
This review is from: Material Girls [DVD] (DVD)
I was very disappointed with this. An hour and a half of my life I won't get back. I bought it because the cover looked fun and promising. I was expecting a film along the lines of Clueless but this was just drivel and the 'acting' was poor. The plot was so silly - two sisters lose all their money after their father's death and they try to cope with being poor in last year's designer clothes. It sounds like it could be fun, but it just wasn't.

Funny Mummy
Funny Mummy
by Mike Haskins

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute., 7 May 2010
This review is from: Funny Mummy (Hardcover)
This is a cute little hardback with a nice bright rainbow coloured cover and it's full of ancedotes about motherhood that will make you both laugh and cry. Easy to dip into if you want an inspiring quote or a feel-good story. This would be a welcome mother's day present from a son or daughter!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10