Profile for Toby Speight > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Akasa Interconnect Pro 5.25 inch USB Front Panel with Card Reader
Akasa Interconnect Pro 5.25 inch USB Front Panel with Card Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of connectivity, 15 July 2013
It's only just arrived, and I haven't yet installed it, but here's what I found in the box (not all of this is in the item listing, so may be of help if you're considering one).

The box says that the card reader supports (ignoring speed-related terms such as Extreme and Ultra, that don't affect compatibility):
Compact Flash: type I
Compact Flash: type II
Compact Flash: MD
Memory Stick: MS Pro
Memory Stick: MS Pro Duo
Memory Stick: MagicGate
Secure Digital: SDXC (to 64GB)
Secure Digital: SDHC
Extrume Digital:xD type M
Memory Stick Micro: M2
microSD: µSD
microSD: µSDHC

At the back are captive leads with all the internal connectors required to attach to your machine's mainboard and PSU:
* 1x USB 3.0 lead - 19-pin connector
* 1x USB 2.0 lead - 9-pin connector
* 1x SATA data lead
* 1x 4-pin molex lead (with passthrough)

The unit has a good solid 'feel' to it, and the brushed-metal fascia is a very good match for modern cases of the same fashion.

I was waiting for a CPU before I could try it out and report on the operational performance. Now that it's all installed, I can report that it all works perfectly. Remember that the card reader appears as a USB 2.0 device, though - if you were expecting your high-speed card to read and write at USB 3 speeds, you would be disappointed.

Silverline 521812 Reflective Cycling Trouser Clips Pair
Silverline 521812 Reflective Cycling Trouser Clips Pair

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for the price, 21 Jan 2013
These are cheap and it shows. The ABS plastic feels a bit loose on the leg, and has a tendency to come off now and again. After a few months, one broke when I skidded on black ice - I suspect that the cold makes the plastic brittle. I'm now replacing them with spring steel clips. On the plus side, at least these were only a couple of quid.

Epson Print Head Cleaning Kit - 100ml
Epson Print Head Cleaning Kit - 100ml
Offered by Printhead Hospital

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy, 21 Jan 2013
The kit comes with clear instructions, and turned out to be an easier process than I expected. I got my Epson R200 working again with a single flush of the head cleaner, despite leaving it clogged for a year before getting around to sorting it out. And there's plenty left for next time. :-)

Mallaig to Rudha Reidh 2007 (Imray C.Chart)
Mallaig to Rudha Reidh 2007 (Imray C.Chart)
by Imray
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chart for all users, 14 Sep 2012
I've owned this chart for about 5 years, using it for planning kayak trips around the Hebrides. It's printed on very robust paper with a waxy feel that shrugs off splashes (although I haven't used it on deck of the kayak - that might be too much!). It has insets of half-a-dozen or so of the most significant ports and their approaches at bigger scales.

On the reverse is a wealth of information, including a full key, a set of tidal stream charts at 1-hour intervals, submarine exercise areas, and some general quick-references such as a summary of standard buoys and beacons and the shipping forecast regions.

N.B. Be aware that there is now a new edition (August 2012) and corrections are no longer available from Imray for the 2007 edition of this chart.

Extreme Tough Storage Cases Each can store 4 AA or 5 AAA batteries! PROTECT & STORE YOUR BATTERIES NOW
Offered by Cell Solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job nicely., 12 Sep 2012
For just a pound apiece, you can't go wrong with these. I like to carry a couple of sets of spare batteries for my Garmin eTrex when I'm out, and these do the job. You'll still need a bag of some sort to keep the water out - but you can't expect a waterproof box at this price, so it keeps a top rating.

Pike & Co. Open Reel Surveyors Tape - 50m
Pike & Co. Open Reel Surveyors Tape - 50m
Offered by Alex Whyte

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but check bolts for tightness, 12 Sep 2012
It's a competent open-reel tape. The one problem I've had is that the small bolts holding the two halves of the plastic shell together have a tendency to work loose - I've lost two of them somewhere underground. :-( So tighten these when you receive it, consider applying some threadlock, and you should be okay.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps camera afloat, 19 July 2012
I haven't measured the actual buoyancy, but it's sufficient to keep my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4 Camera from sinking, with enough orange above the waterline to spot it from a few metres away. And it looks better than my previous home-made attempt - a rope float on some nylon cord. There's a 5x price difference, but it's still small compared to the value of the camera.

The picture here doesn't show the join with the thin cord that connects to the camera, but Orange Foam Float Camera Strap appears to be the same product and its item page does show the connector. There is a slight rattle when connected; I might cut a piece from an old inner tube to make a gasket for the ~1mm play in this joint if it annoys me (or the wildlife) too much.

MULTI IN 1 20 in 1 Card Reader / Writer PCMCIA Card
MULTI IN 1 20 in 1 Card Reader / Writer PCMCIA Card

3.0 out of 5 stars Actually CardBus, not PCMCIA, 19 July 2012
Although described as PCMCIA, this is actually a CardBus device, so beware!

Still hoping I might be able to get it working despite that...

Update:

Linux supports it only when ACPI is enabled at boot time. Unfortunately, the Vaio's Ethernet adapter works only with ACPI disabled. So this is usable only when I'm prepared to boot without networking. It does appear to work in that case, but it's still misleading to claim it's plain PCMCIA.

Remote Controlled Colour Changing 5W LED Light Bulb BC/B22 GLS with Memory Function
Offered by Strictly Lamps

4.0 out of 5 stars Dim but fun, 16 July 2012
I know the title sounds like someone you know, but I am talking about the light here, honest!

With a standard bayonet-cap fitting, it's easy to swap out an existing light bulb and put this one in. Don't expect to be able to read by it, though - the claimed 30W incandescent equivalent is probably not an underestimate.

The remote control is a fairly standard credit-card sized infra-red job, supplied with a CR2025 button cell. It's the only way to change the mode from cycling every couple of seconds to any of the 16 fixed colours (in three brightnesses) or to a faster program or to a smooth cross-fade. The buttons to control the colour-changing programs seem poorly designed - the black text on a dark grey background is impossible to read when you're relying on this bulb for light. The other buttons are more legible, though selecting specific colours has an obvious problem if you don't change to white first, because your perception is altered by the present colour of the light. Not a big problem, because trial and error works pretty well.

I think that a couple of these in opposite corners would be good for a small party, provided you are not bothered about the remote probably controlling both at once.

Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust That Society Needs to Thrive
Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust That Society Needs to Thrive
by Bruce Schneier

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy two copies, 16 July 2012
I've followed Bruce's work for many years, so I had a good idea of what to expect from his latest work.

It does not disappoint. Covering the evolution of security mechanisms, from the very small scale of a few personal friends up to the global institutions to which we trust much of our lives, Bruce examines in depth how we choose whether to trust or distrust other people and organisations, and how we decide how much regulation and technology is required to keep enough of them trustworthy enough for our societies to function.

As a reader of Bruce's blog on schneier,com, I thought I would be reading things I'd already learnt, but I was wrong. There's a lot of new stuff here, and perhaps the best and most-lasting aspect is the presentation of a structure and language for talking about trust - I find I'm using the terms from Liars and Outliers intuitively any time I think about security.

There's a good exposition of how our security systems fail, and what must be done to avoid such failures, which I think makes it essential reading for any company director or politician.

You need two copies of this book - one to keep on your shelf to read, and re-read, and one to give to your (least-) favourite policymaker.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3