Profile for N. willink > Reviews

Broken Horseshoe [DVD]
Broken Horseshoe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Beatty

4.0 out of 5 stars Broken Horseshoe, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Broken Horseshoe [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best rendering available, apart from the lost BBC versions. Unfortunately its quite short.
I think Peter Coke does a great job despite the press review.

Garmin Oregon 450 + GB 1:50K SD Map Card -
Garmin Oregon 450 + GB 1:50K SD Map Card -

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for casual hikers, 19 Jan 2013
Garmin has updated the firmware almost 2x yearly producing a product that for a causal hiker is difficult to beat ;it's reception is quite remarkable even in forests ; it is light with a sensible screen size and robust. Have accidentally dropped it several times on hard surfaces,even in a pond! with no ill affects. Touch screen could be more sensitive. In addition you can import free openstreetmaps and change the colour of your maps. Having had 4 different gps devices in the past , this ranks to be the best - and I'm not even a Garmin sales rep!

Roberts RD21B(ECO4) Ecologic 4 DAB/FM RDS Digital Stereo Radio wth up to 150 Hours Battery Life - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars by far the best DAB, 8 Dec 2011
Have had several DABs but this one is by far the best; bought it on the strength of other reviews!
Volume control is perfect,too.
Only one minor gripe; light cannot be dimmed when on mains.

Garmin Nuvi 2460LMT Widescreen Satellite Navigation System with Lifetime Traffic & Map Subscription with street maps for Full Europe (45 countries) - 5 inch

4.0 out of 5 stars alerts with no sound, 4 July 2011
Overall very pleasing capable of showing non Garmin img maps as well. Update of map did take 5 hrs!
Traffic alerts were very accurate eventhough the traffic display map is dire showing almost invisible thin red lines rather than chunky red car icons.If you're colour blind this may be a big issue?
It recognizing my now ancient wireless mobile without a fuss.
Camera alerts work well, if not too pedantically well.
When you use your own imgs it has difficulty updating more detailed maps and rerouting becomes painfully slow - however, this just an observation and one cannot blame Garmin.
Having a picture of motorway exits is not necessarily useful - it could be distracting as well.

some niggles:
1) although you can import your own POIs ,it cannot not play your own 'alert' mp3s
2) voice control works quite well BUT many a time , particularly when inputting a destination, it bombed out, requiring a reboot!
3) Also, as with so many other satnavs, it won't recognize any places 'sur le continent'.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2012 8:20 PM GMT

Garmin Oregon 450 GPS Unit - Worldwide Maps (discontinued by manufacturer)
Garmin Oregon 450 GPS Unit - Worldwide Maps (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by The Outlet Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars How good is it compared to Etrex?, 3 Aug 2010
Have had some frustrating experiences with this , my 3rd , Garmin handheld GPS.
Good points: excellent reception and accuracy better than the Etrex HC! I like the touch type feature; what an improvement; the screen is bigger too, though colours of map details are still limited to 256 and do not always tally with those on Mapsource. You can enable or disable basemaps or any other layers which is to me a key improvement,particularly if you upload your own custom img maps.

Bad points: The screen can freeze after creating and editing waypoints - the result is a loss of edited waypoints and part of the active track; the manual was supposed to be on the chip - none was found and a downloaded pdf seemd too basic. Batteries, which don't last long without the 'battery-save' enabled, have to be removed to revive the unit ; at one stage my card got corrupted and like a boot failure the unit would not restart!!! I would have returned my Oregon without fail despite some of the plus features but ,fortunately, I my old etrex corrected the problem . Checking the web ,others have had similar problems with the Oregon freezing up.

There is no doubt that this garmin is unstable and can be very buggy. I'm however, still using it daily and it's beginning to settle down. I've had to email Garmin over several issues and to be fair their response has been VERY quick. I've got a feeling they are anxious to improve the product.

Would I recommend it? Only if you're using it for basic tracking purposes and are not editing some settings during your journey.
And yet, that touch screen is such a winning feature!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2014 3:53 PM GMT

Canon PowerShot G10 Digital Camera - Black (14.7MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD PureColor II Viewfinder (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Lense protection problem, 31 Mar 2010
I've had this camera for just a year and although pleased with wide angle lense I've encountered problems with the so-called lense protection actally scratching the lense! I've had to return it and it was repaired free of charge but I've now lost total confidence in the camera and am expecting that the problem will reoccur! I treat my digital cameras with great care and have had them since 1997.
I would therefore NOT recommend this camera.I hope the G11 doesn't suffer from the same defect.

Nexus Wireless Weather Station Black
Nexus Wireless Weather Station Black
Offered by Wetterladen24

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointed software, 18 Mar 2010
Having read the previous comments I ordered the Nexus Wireless Weather Station; it arrived without a uk plug but one was dispatched after contacting the makers of this product. Although the station itself seems robust I have had difficulty connecting it to the outdoor temperature sensor ; apparently, this is a well known problem, but not hinted at in any of the reviews - it seems the sensor needs to be placed within 3-4 metres to avoid 'cutting out'; this is very limiting. The software wouldn't not install itself on my Windows7 without writing the values manually into to registry and transferring the application from XP. However, the main display on my Vista and Windows7 can not be maximised and 1/4 remains invisible,at all times,despite the horizontal scroll bar! I've had no satisfactory reply from the makers who just appear as non-plussed as myself.

Data is imported quickly from the console and is saved as a DBF file which can be loaded into any spreadsheet.
Unfortunately,the software does not include a facility to display the information as a webpage.
Finally,I have never come across hardware which frequently drops its USB connection with a PC! This is apparently known by the software writers as a button appears for you to click on to re-establish a connection - this never works but unplugging and replugging the cable always does the trick,mmm...

I would not recommend this product unless you are initially prepared to endure hours of frustration.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 10:03 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nikon coolpix p4, 29 April 2006
Much cheaper than the 7.1 mb coolpix I had before; sharpness of pix much more reliable; haven't seen a difference using vr mode or not; I like the fact you can tell how many pix you have left.

quality is generally very good; I like the automatic histogram when using A or P mode. I also like the time-lapse movie bit - again quality very pleasing.

I'm not so sure about keeping the battery and card in the same area - it also didn't seem to be too secure; the cover loosened itself twice during my walk around the countryside.

Also, it seemed to freeze on three occasions! Nothing worked until I dislodged the battery.

Having said all this, the quality is superb and the speed reasonably quick

/nick 04/06