Profile for P. J. Barber > Reviews

Content by P. J. Barber

P. J. Barber "RedGreenInBlue" (England)

SCOTT Profile 2 - ABEK1P3 Ready Pak - Mask - 053070 Filters
SCOTT Profile 2 - ABEK1P3 Ready Pak - Mask - 053070 Filters
Offered by parkroyaltimbersltd
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A very comfortable, easy-to-use mask, 4 April 2014
This is a significant step up in quality and ease of use from the disposable cartridge MDF masks available from DIY shops and only costs about 5-10 more. It's well worth the extra cost.

For a start, the filters and the valve are easily replaceable, and there is a large range of compatible filters to suit the task. I resisted the geeky temptation to buy the radio-iodine or mercury aerosol filters :)

The mask is very easy to adjust. Simply get the straps to the right length (it doesn't matter whether you shorten the left and right straps at the same end or not), then sit the harness on your occiput and do up the clasp on the lower end of the straps around your neck.

If you find the mask is too low or high on your face, simply pull it a little away from your face without undoing it, then tug up or down, and the straps will slide through the mask and stay at their new position.

The mask itself is nice and soft; I've worn it for stretches of two hours or more without it bothering me. It doesn't get in the way of safety glasses, and it's also possible to wear sports earphones (with the band behind the head) and still take off and put on the mask.

The clasp itself is easy to undo with one hand, even in a leather gauntlet, and the mask will then come away from your face, while the harness makes sure it doesn't fall off completely. There is therefore no excuse not to wear a mask just because you need to stop from time to time to talk or have a cup of tea! :)

tl;dr: Just get this and look after your lungs!

Gardman Universal Squirrel Baffle
Gardman Universal Squirrel Baffle
Offered by Garden Selections Ltd
Price: 12.29

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be a standard part of bird feeder kits, 4 April 2014
I already knew this accessory was available and thought that it looked like an effective design, but since it wasn't on sale at the garden centre where I bought my Gardman feeder kit, I thought I would wait to see whether it would prove to be necessary.

However after a squirrel wasted several fat balls by ripping the thin plastic netting, damaged the metal mesh of my peanut feeder, and then worked out how to dismantle it entirely (spilling the entire contents on the ground), I realised that I would already have saved nearly the cost of the baffle!

It is trivially easy to install on a pole, and it also comes with a loop-and-hook attachment so that you can protect your tree-hung feeders, though I haven't tested this usage. I mounted the baffle 1.5 m above the ground on my feeder pole, and the effect was immediate: the squirrel which I used to see in the garden several times a day has simply vanished, and I've had no further break-ins.

This accessory isn't available in any garden centre I've visited, which is mystifying given that every one sells Gardman bird feeders, and given that this is the only squirrel baffle I've come across that actually works!

Automatic Greenhouse Vent Opener
Automatic Greenhouse Vent Opener
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 22.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever gadget!, 21 May 2013
The packaging is minimal (which is good) though had a rather amateurish appearance (I know, I shouldn't judge a product by its box, but I might have skipped over it in a high-street shop). Assembly was simple and the instructions were fairly clear. The screws on the clamps were barely long enough to grip the only suitable part of the window frame. I was also a little disappointed that the base plates for the clamps on either end of the device are plastic, given that this will be sitting in a sunny greenhouse and that many plastics degrade under UV.

Still, it looks smart, was quick to fit, and opens and shuts reliably at a consistent temperature - which are the important things for my plants, after all!

AmazonBasics USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable for iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPod nano 7 and iPod 5 3 Feet / 0.9 m - Apple certified
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I wonder why Apple's own-brand cable is so much more expensive!, 21 May 2013
Not much to say about this cable except that it feels well-made, has so far put up well with being knocked around in a car, and it's much cheaper than Apple's own Lightning cable!

Greenhouse Repair Kit / Parts - 50 W & 50 Z Clips, 50 Nuts & 50 Bolts
Greenhouse Repair Kit / Parts - 50 W & 50 Z Clips, 50 Nuts & 50 Bolts
Offered by Heswall_Glass
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A good selection of greenhouse spares, 21 May 2013
This came in handy when resurrecting an old greenhouse we acquired, which had been rather battered by the wind. We should probably have ordered two packs, but had underestimated how many clips we needed. Just for the record, you need 4 W clips per pane of glass, and 2 Z clips per pair of overlapping panes!

Galvanised Fencing Line Wire - 5kg Coil - 2.50mm (Approx 130mtrs) Free Delivery
Galvanised Fencing Line Wire - 5kg Coil - 2.50mm (Approx 130mtrs) Free Delivery
Offered by Hardmesh Trading
Price: 27.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent straining wire for fans, cordons and fruit canes, 21 May 2013
It's sold as fencing line, but this is by far the cheapest way we've yet found of buying a good strong straining wire for training our raspberry canes and fanned fruit trees. The long coil length means that you waste far less wire if you're doing several runs of wire, too!

Irrigatia SOL-K24 Fully Automatic Solar Drip Watering System
Irrigatia SOL-K24 Fully Automatic Solar Drip Watering System

5.0 out of 5 stars This is going to save a lot of effort (and water!), 21 May 2013
Setup is simple and clearly described in the instructions. Cutting and joining the tubing itself should not take more than an hour or two. A dripper system is also easy to plan, as the water velocity in the tubing is very low, and the main resistance to flow is the drippers themselves. This means that you can run the tubing to the drippers any way you want, without worrying about any dripper's distance from the pump unit affecting its output. (It doesn't actually make this clear in the manual.)

However, I do recommend that you spend some time sketching the layout of your dripper network, measuring distances and noting the lengths of tubing you'll need to cut, because getting a T-junction out of the tubing requires very strong fingers and you really don't want to have to do this more than necessary! You may also find some small cable ties useful for hanging the tubing and making sure that drippers stay where they're put, because the tubing is fairly springy and the little stakes supplied might not hold them in place strongly enough.

The system comes with its own intake filter, which simply dangles under its own weight in a water butt. I initially thought the weighting wasn't heavy enough, but actually it seems quite cleverly balanced so that the filter is always suspended near the water surface and away from any detritus in the bottom of the water butt.

Once the system is in place, you simply turn it on and forget it for a few days. If after that time your plants are getting too little or too much, turn the knob to a higher or lower setting - and then you shouldn't ever have to touch it again until the rechargeable batteries start to lose their capacity.

We've had this system installed for a couple of weeks now, enough time to satisfy ourselves that this system is highly water-efficient. At its maximum setting, it has used only about 35 L used in a fortnight of warm weather, and yet that is enough for the 8 tomato, 8 pepper and 2 aubergine plants in our greenhouse. This system could easily keep your greenhouse watered for a fortnight's summer holiday - if you're crazy enough to go away just as your tomatoes are ripening :D

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and solidly-built tumble dryer, 3 Dec 2012
There's very little negative that I can say about this tumble dryer. It feels very well constructed, is easy to use (though I did have to look up what the "reduced ironing" option meant, as we've never owned a tumble dryer before!). The display is very bright and clear, and the interface is multilingual with audible feedback. We had to reverse the door hinge, and that took all of fifteen minutes (though you will need a Torx 20 screwdriver to do the job).

In operation, it is quiet and cool to the touch, and you can set the volume of the end-of-cycle alert so it doesn't wind you up. The drum inside is huge (a full load from our 6 kg-capacity washing machine looks almost lost in the vastness :D ), and is lit by a very bright LED light which goes off automatically a few minutes after the door is shut. You can connect this to your sink waste via the very long hose supplied, unlike several tumble dryers, and having more than once spilt the contents of the condensate drawer on the way to the nearest sink when using dryers in holiday cottages etc., I would say this is an important bonus. It is claimed to be extremely efficient (rated A++) and this is borne out by meter measurements. It's rather weird to realise that the condensate isn't pumped out of the machine until the end of the programme. Together with the surprisingly low drying temperature of the cotton cycle, it made me wonder if the dryer wasn't working properly the first time! This behaviour is so that the dryer can extract the excess heat from the water and return it to the drum via its heat pump.

I do have a little grumble about the complete incompatibility of the hose diameter with the inputs on our sink waste, but I found the relevant adapter on the web eventually.

Oh, and one other general point. Siemens, and other manufacturers of heavy white goods for that matter, how difficult would it be to replace the rear feet with height-adjustable rollers? It is NOT EASY pushing something into a tight gap under a worktop on a vinyl floor, and I nearly ripped the vinyl in the process!

In summary: Not cheap, but well worth the money.

Introducing Pure Mathematics
Introducing Pure Mathematics
by Robert Smedley
Price: 36.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and methodical, 26 Oct 2011
Having now worked my way through the whole of this book on my own, I can say with some confidence that it is an effective aid to learning pure maths. I'm intrigued by the single one-star review of this book, as I didn't have the help of a teacher, and it's nearly twenty years since I studied this material at school. I found the approach clear and methodical, with plenty of practice exercises with a range of difficulty. If you achieved a good grade in GCSE Mathematics, and you follow the topics in order, you'll not have any problems with this book.

I have since bought the Further Pure Mathematics, both Mechanics books and Understanding Statistics from the same series. I think that shows how much I liked this book!

Feldman: Piano and String Quartet
Feldman: Piano and String Quartet
Offered by music_by_mail_uk
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful rendition of a, 2 Jun 2010
This is a work which clearly reflects the contrasts displayed by Morton Feldman himself: a gregarious and outgoing person who wrote the most sparse and introspective of music. "Piano and String Quartet" feels like a coherent whole, despite the frequent pauses and silences. It displays complexity despite the simple musical devices employed, due to the intricate harmonies and precise timing of entries. It demands your attention, despite being played pianissimo almost throughout - an attention which is repaid by the end of the work in a noticeably calmer, clearer state of mind. (This is one reason why Piano and String Quartet is one of my favourite pieces of 20th classical music.)

The Kronos Quartet and Aki Takahashi clearly took the task of recording this work seriously. The feeling of focus and concentration never wavers, which must be difficult to achieve in a piece of this length without any dramatic fortissimos to burn off pent-up energy! Takahashi's piano playing here is best described as liquid, and over that the Kronos achieves the right combination of clarity and breathiness that makes for such and intimate-sounding recording.