Profile for K. M. Harrison > Reviews

Content by K. M. Harrison

K. M. Harrison "Kate Harrison" (Lincolnshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
From The Sea To The Land Beyond
From The Sea To The Land Beyond

5.0 out of 5 stars Doing what BSP do so well, 6 Mar 2014
Just watched the film / listened to the music for the first time. So beautifully done. The film is nostalgic and interesting and the music fits perfectly. Gentle and lovely. Loved it.

What's in the Witch's Kitchen? (Lift the Flap)
What's in the Witch's Kitchen? (Lift the Flap)
by Nick Sharratt

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner!, 23 Jun 2012
Bought this for my 4 year old niece. Her mum reports its an instant hit - read & reread every day & carried around in her bag.

Creative Whack Pack
Creative Whack Pack
by Roger VonOech
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars My pack is a little battered - still enjoyed, 22 May 2012
This review is from: Creative Whack Pack (Cards)
I bought my whack pack 12 years ago, while part of a leadership programme. A colleague introduced it to me.
12 years on, I'm still using it. Not every day by any means, but when I feel 'stuck', can't think what to do next, it's great for making you think a bit laterally - and uncannily 'perceptive'. Weird how the right cards seem to appear. Maybe thats why it's so clever. Whatever you pick, you can apply the answer to your question in a way that helps you see the wood and think differently. Used it in team meetings at work too when we have a problem to resolve. Good fun. Highly recommend.

Shadowplay
Shadowplay
by Karen Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected from th reviews, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Shadowplay (Paperback)
Ok story - nothing great - average story - readable but not memorable nor recommendable. I'm looking for fairly 'gripping' stories in the genre, which this was not

Prodigal Summer
Prodigal Summer
by Barbara Kingsolver

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad to have found Barbara Kingsolver, 13 Feb 2010
This review is from: Prodigal Summer (Paperback)
I came upon Barbara Kingsolver via Amazon - reading reviews by people who liked what I also liked.
I cannot understand why I had not heard of her before - why is she not on the book prize / best seller lists?
I read first Poisonwood Bible & was bowled over by her brilliant style, the beautiful quality of her writing and the fact that she also tells such a good story - and so interesting. I felt I was learning a lot too. I did not want to finish it. I followed up with Prodigal Summer - after a gap - not wanting to be 'Kingsolvered out ' & worried the next might disappoint. Not to be - just finished it & again feel I have to declare her talent. Very different book in many ways, yet reflecting still her fundamental concerns for life, the balance between man and nature and the importance of the relationships that exist between. A beautiful, soothing read and a good story too. I can only continue reading the rest of her novels & wondering why no-one seems to know her?? Pass it on.

The Poisonwood Bible
The Poisonwood Bible
by Barbara Kingsolver

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to leave you bereft, 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Poisonwood Bible (Paperback)
Just finished reading this beautifully crafted, thought provoking,absorbing story & feel utterly bereft. I will have to wait a while before starting anything else. So very interesting a story & completely engaging, this book is so beautifully written - truly poetic. Also very interesting politically - I feel as though I understand more about Africa than I did. I will read more by Barbara Kingsolver - can't understand how I'd never heard of her before. Brilliant!

Kensington 62348 Contour Roller Carrying Case
Kensington 62348 Contour Roller Carrying Case
Offered by Caboodle Office Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Save your arms, 25 Nov 2009
I bought this to save me lugging 'too heavy' bags to & from work. Its great. Easy to wheel. Very spacious. Much more than a laptop bag - fits plenty of other stuff in too. Really useful.

Can You Keep A Secret?
Can You Keep A Secret?
by Sophie Kinsella

1.0 out of 5 stars How to make loads of money, 25 Nov 2009
This review is from: Can You Keep A Secret? (Paperback)
I bought this book on the basis that 234 reviews can't be wrong can they?
Seems they are - if you are unemployed, can do joined up writing & have a desire to make a packet - read this book - you too could do it - and hats off to SK that she has! We are the mugs who buy it....It is dreadful - completely predictable - & not even very funny.I liked Bridget Jones - it's high culture in comparison. A modern day Barbara Cartland!

The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
The Lives of Others [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Martina Gedeck

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the subtitles, 11 Jan 2008
This is a very good film which I feel would be a brilliant film - If I could understand German! This film has to get the prize for the worst, mostannoying subtitling of all time. It was really hard to understand what was going on because for every fifty words in German, there was one in English - we non German speakers are missing on on most of the dialogue - & that feels very unfair.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2009 12:14 PM BST

Malcolm X [DVD] [1993]
Malcolm X [DVD] [1993]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington
Offered by Springwood Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Malcolm WHO?, 7 Dec 2007
This review is from: Malcolm X [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
The reviews far exceed the film which portrays Malcolm X as a thoroughly self obsessed and ironically, rascist man, who could have/should have learned a few lessons from Ghandi and Nelson Mandela (which might have saved him being shot).

By the end of this tedious, far too long, drawn out saga, I couldn't wait for him to get shot - & it still took about 99 bullets - par for the course in this over-egged (& hammy) dish which managed to alienate me entirely from the man! Phew!!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2013 12:38 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2