Profile for The Old Grey Witch's Test > Reviews

Content by The Old Grey W...

The Old Grey Witch's Test
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Charlie's Country [DVD]
Charlie's Country [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Gulpilil

4.0 out of 5 stars It's the legacy that matters..., 17 Nov 2014
This review is from: Charlie's Country [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a sad filming showing all too clearly what has become of the country of the Aborigines since the arrival of the Australian (lack of) culture. Charlie is first seen, jobless and joyless, living in a shack and smoking Ganga. He briefly refinds a little pride by going hunting, but the police confiscate his gun and even is beautiful homemade spear. He briefly escapes to the outback makes himself a shelter and spears himself a fish, only to become so ill he needs to be hospitalised. Discharging himself, he takes up with a group of fellow aboriginal alcoholics. He is useful to them as he hasn't been banned from drinking. He is then jailed for supplying alcohol and for assaulting a police officer's car. The jail scenes are where the film really drags and where editing is required. Anyway, he then returns to his community (Presumably time has passed as his hair has grown back again!). Nothing seems to have changed. Then one of his old friends repeats a request that was made earlier in the film: will Charlie teach the village children to dance? Before, Charlie selfishly answered no, saying that the children would not want to learn the old dances. This time he agrees, and in the final scenes we see him telling the children about the proudest day of his life: when he danced before the Queen at the opening of the Sydney Opera House. The children listen intently and are soon dressed and painted up doing a traditional dance. I felt far more time should have been focussed on these redemption scenes. The final golden shots of Charlie show him looking out with dignity. You feel that, through dancing, he has regained a sense of ownership of his country. As Americans say, it's not the inheritance you get but the legacy you leave that matters.

I found the film slow but very interesting. It was a bit difficult to read the subtitles at times and I missed some of what was said. Some of the scenes were a bit like those old Armstrong and Miller sketches of Hunter Gatherers where they sit around talking about mammoths. The silly effect was magnified for me because Charlie looks like a cross between Bob Geldolf and Richard Branson (but darker of course).

Pooch and Mutt Fresh Breath Complete Dry Food
Pooch and Mutt Fresh Breath Complete Dry Food

4.0 out of 5 stars I only got a sample pack!, 17 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't tell you how disappointed my dog and myself are to have received only a sample sized sachet of this food for the Amazon Vine Programme. How are we supposed to provide a balanced review with this?!

Needless to say, my dog wolfed the fragrant, dark brown little biscuits down. But she does this with everything. I couldn't tell from this one occasion whether her breath was better, her urinary tract health improved, or her coat more shiny.

I am,however, very impressed with the packet which tells me the food is free from artificial flavours or colours, is gluten and GM free, and contains a unique nutra-bionic supplement. The food is made in the UK, is recommended by vets, and has won some kind of ethical award.

I had never heard of Pooch and Mutt before this, but think now I will try it in future. My ever fattening beagle will be getting the diet version.

Walkezee
Walkezee

4.0 out of 5 stars It Works But Is It Robust?, 17 Nov 2014
This review is from: Walkezee (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hint No 1. Don't follow the instructions on the packet. Dogs do not necessarily step into red semi circles. Sit down on a chair, get the dog to put her front paws on your knees and work from there.
Hint No 2. Make sure you get the right size. A Medium should have been right for my beagle. It wasn't. If in doubt go up a size. Remember it's shoulder circumference not breed type that counts...
Hint No 3. If you are in any doubt at all whether the product is too small or not adjusted properly, don't take your dog anywhere busy.

Having said this, I think this is an excellent product. I have tried other products, Haltis and the like, and have always found these make the dog more agitated. Once I got my normally totally haywire beagle into this, she was as good as gold. We had one of the best walks ever, even though the halter was a size too small. Until I tugged hard, that is. Then the buckle on the back came apart. I'm left wondering whether the fastenings are robust enough, as I also had some problems at the start with the one that fixes to the dog's collar.

Holy Cow
Holy Cow
by David Duchovny

3.0 out of 5 stars (Over) Simples!, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: Holy Cow (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like silly talking animal stories (think Babe and Chicken Run) you will like this. If you don't you won't. Simples.

Basically, I loved the first part where Elsie the cow introduces herself and the plot is hatched to leave the cruel farming methods of America. I fell about laughing at the description of the flight to Turkey. But I felt the book faltered during the part in the Middle East and then just dropped away to nothing in India. It all became trite and pointless. Unfortunately Elsie does not return to the States with much of a message.

It's a great pity that Mr Duchovny wastes this opportunity to make a clear case for more humane farming methods and for vegarianism, if this is what he wanted to do. He had the characters, the creativity,and the wit to do it, but his storytelling let him down in the final chapters.

Alice and the Fly
Alice and the Fly
by James Rice

4.0 out of 5 stars Made Me Want To Emigrate!, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: Alice and the Fly (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone buying this book thinking it's another captivating "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" is in for a hell of a shock. For the protagonist in this book isn't a charming youth on the Autism spectrum but an epileptic, schizophrenic, phobic who becomes a stalker and finally (should I say it?), a murderer.

Everything about this book highlights the dark side of modern Britain. The disfunctional family life with social climbing mothers and absent, unfaithful fathers. A youth culture based on looks, easy sex, and alcohol consumption. (The description of the New Year's Eve party is horrific). Inappropriate relationships between teachers and pupils. The horrendous class divides that can be found within a single town. And of course, the stigma of mental illness. Reading it made me want to emigrate!

This book has writing that just leaps off the page at you. It is so real. From the first page you are taken on a roller coaster ride through the mind of a seriously mentally ill adolescent. There is absolutely no let off. You have to stay on to the grisly end. You are left feeling exhausted and somewhat queasy.

However, there was just one thing about the book I couldn't believe, and it has affected my rating. I couldn't accept that children of social climbing professionals would be sent to the local state school where they would have to mix with those from the estate they had just escaped. It just didn't ring true, though obviously the plot demanded it. Just a small thing, that you may be able to overlook, but I thought it weakened the credibility of the narrative.

Anxiety Wrap
Anxiety Wrap

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an instant fix., 6 Nov 2014
This review is from: Anxiety Wrap (Misc.)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I can't really comment on the effectiveness of this product as I was sent the small size and it soon became apparent my beagle required a medium. So you do not suffer the same fate, here are the sizings. Toy= chest circumference 26-32 cm. XXsmall=30-42cm. Xsmall=36-48cm. Small=42-54cm. Medium=50-66. Large=64-88cm. XLarge=82-100cm.

Also, even though the parts of the wrap are labelled, these labels soon become dislodged in the first few tussles with your dog. So, here is my advise here. Hold the wrap up. The White label needs to go at the rear end of the dog. Undo the two poppers that fasten the back straps. Put the chest strap on first and fasten with the Velcro. Then do the middle section. Wrap one strap round each back leg. Do up the poppers. Voila!

I can report that my beagle went very quiet and lay down in her basket as soon as the wrap was on her, but this could have been because it was so tight! She certainly didn't mind having it on, though, and later went out for a walk with it on.

Another thing you need to be aware of is this is not an instant fix. Each anxiety problem listed in the excellent instruction book takes a good few weeks and many trials to sort out. I had thought that simply wearing the contraption would stop my dog jumping up at strangers (which is why I ordered it), but it does no such thing. It only works when accompanied by the appropriate behavioural training programme. This begs the question. Could you put the training programme in place without the wrap? I think so.

And as for the claim it reacts with certain acupuncture points...mmmm. It depends if you believe in this hocus pocus or not.

Fabri-Tac  113 ml Medium Bottle, Clear
Fabri-Tac 113 ml Medium Bottle, Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous All-Rounder, 5 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The most misleading thing about this product is its name. "Fabri-Tac" suggests it can only be used for sticking fabric. This is certainly not the case. It is a fabulous all-round adhesive which makes many other products obselete. In my case, as a crafter, I have previously used an electrically powered craft gun to make Christmas decorations and the like. This has entailed needing to be near a source of electricity, having a supply of glue bullets which must be heated up, and then the possession of the necessary manual dexterity to get the trigger to fire. With Fabri-Tac all I have to do is take the small plastic top off and squeeze gently! The tube is a nice size and is very easy to control. The glue flows out smoothly and dries invisibly. And, unlike that old awful superglue in its fiddly tubes, I have not been left with my fingers hopelessly stuck together. One warning, though. As a liquid Fabri-Tac is extremely flammable, so you must not use it near flames or whilst smoking. Also you must be careful not to wash it off quickly if you get it on your skin. These caustic properties, however, disappear when the glue dries.

Honor 6 4G UK Smartphone (5 inch, Touchscreen, Octa-Core, 3GB RAM, 16GB ROM, 13MP rear camera, 5MP front camera, LTE CAT6, Android 4.4, Emotion UI 2.3) White

4.0 out of 5 stars Only for the very brave..., 2 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having reviewed several Amazon Vine products recently that arrived without instructions, I cannot tell you how relieved I was to receive this in an attractive blue box with what looked like an instruction booklet inside. It turned out, however, that about the only thing this told me was how to insert my SIM card. My what? I was soon in the new land of phone shops signing a direct debit agreement while the assistant tried to get the card in. It turned out the instructions for insertion were already on the back of the phone but this did not stop him from putting it in the wrong way round...so much for experts. Then he said, 'You'll have to set up a Google account to get it going' before going off so serve another customer.

This left me at home alone with this device, with only a web site address left in the instruction book for help. I managed to find this using my I-pad and downloaded the support pages. These turned out to be pretty useless, but at least they kept me calm. I found the phone guided me through getting a Google account pretty well, and soon I had an e-mail account as well as a basically functioning phone (I used next door as a launch pad for my tests...). My husband seemed very happy with the mirror, the torch, and the cameras...(poor dear), whilst I got to grips with the fantastic Ask Google voice recognition system.

Within a couple of hours tussling I had mastered all the basic features, and am amazed at what it does, though I must stress that this is because, even though I was a smart phone virgin, I am used to using an I-pad. I certainly would not give this to anyone not completely computer literate, and, well, as it says in the blurb, BRAVE!

Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Groomer Razor Blade
Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5 Groomer Razor Blade

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Gift For Old Witches!, 29 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sorry to be so late with this. I had to wait for a substantial hair growth before I could test it properly. And I can now report it's fantastic. Much better than any women's razor I've ever tried (why are these so flimsy?). Once I'd got through the mass of plastic packaging, and worked out where to put the included battery (!), I took the hair off from just about everywhere. And I mean everywhere. It's great for underarms, legs, bikini lines, and arms. The gel ensures your skin is left feeling moisturised and soft. You can turn it round and uses the electric trimmer on your face, where it ploughs through all sideburn down, removes chin hairs, and even, if you are careful, trims eyebrows. It would make a great gift for any post menopausal witch like me who suddenly finds herself sprouting hair...

BISSELL Homecare Steam Citrus Water for Use with Steam Mops
BISSELL Homecare Steam Citrus Water for Use with Steam Mops

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money!, 24 Oct 2014
I think this is a total waste of money. The citrus smell is not very strong and not that pleasant. The rest is just deionised water which costs a couple of quid in any garage! Just get that and add your own scent...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19