Profile for The Old Grey Witch's Test > Reviews

Content by The Old Grey W...

The Old Grey Witch's Test
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips Satinelle Epilator HP6422/02 with Opti-start Cap with Massage Element
Philips Satinelle Epilator HP6422/02 with Opti-start Cap with Massage Element

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, painless removal but not the best model., 25 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having tested several epilators for Vine recently, it is interesting to see where the various companies are going. Braun is opting for an all bells and whistles approach. One device with a plethora of attachments. As I noted in another review, unfortunately these do not come in a case so it is very easy to lose the parts and storage is difficult. Philips is sticking at two basic devices, one for the body and the other for the face, and is ensuring that casing is included. I must say I prefer the Philips' approach. It is far easier to store your body epilator in your bedroom and your face epilator in the bathroom where they will both be needed. The main advantage this particular product has over similar body epilators is the massage element which makes the removal of the hair almost pain free. Trust me, it works! Even though the device I received said 'for legs' I found it worked well under the arms, as long as I shaved the area first (a good tip!). The main drawback off this model is that it is not cordless which means you have to be near a socket to remove hair. For this reason I took off a star. Philips does make cordless models. Particularly nice is the limited edition complete face and body set which comes with tweezers. If I'd had a choice I'd have gone with these.

TRESemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Salt Spray 200 ml
TRESemmé Perfectly Undone Sea Salt Spray 200 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a necessary purchase., 24 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all let me admit that when I was ordering this I thought it was a hair spray. For those of you who might make the same mistake it most certainly isn't. In old fashioned parlance it is a setting lotion, supposedly helping you put a wave in your hair. I already use a Philip Kingsley product to do this and am very happy with it. This product simply does not come up to scratch. It is far too dilute to give a decent hold. The good things are it has a nice smell and leaves the hair feeling soft. But then, most conditioners do this. So I wouldn't call it a necessary purchase.

Philips GC2045/26 Easyspeed Steam Iron with 120 g Steam Boost and Ceramic Soleplate, 270 ml, 2300 Watt, Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the Iron not the Box., 17 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I, like a lot of women nowadays, live in an iron-free zone, I gave this to the Resident Warlock to test. He said he particularly liked the shape with its long pointy end that gets into tight corners, and the large water capacity. He said it was very easy to see when the water was getting low and that the iron produced a particularly good head of steam. He liked the vertical feature which enabled him to give a final once over to his suit and shirts before work. However, he was a little disturbed by the effeminate design of the box, which made him proclaim "This isn't for me!" when first presented with the iron. As the box is the special feature of this particular model of the iron, I have taken off a star. Philips should have produced a more unisex box more in keeping with today's kitchen designs. Oh, and another thing, the iron would be better if it had a longer cord.

Lenor Unstoppables In-Wash Scent Booster Beads Fresh 275 g (Pack of 6)
Lenor Unstoppables In-Wash Scent Booster Beads Fresh 275 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Life is Now a Beach!, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was in two minds whether to order this product. Surely all fabric softeners offer a scent...why would anyone want to add more? And who wants their wash still smelling after 26 days? I started to change my mind as soon as I sniffed the parcel as I unwrapped it. The 'fresh' aroma immediately reminded me of a breezy day on the beach. Lovely! I first tested a capful of the blue crystals (very easy to measure out) on a pair of stinky trainers. They came out smelling lovely. Then I gathered up my towels. Again, a stunning result. The delicious scent was starting to permeate the entire house. I tried some bedding. Great! So, I really rate this stuff. It would be particularly good to have if you run a small guesthouse or B&B and want your guests to feel really pampered.

I should also note that I suffered no allergic reaction to the chemicals used. This is worth mentioning as I am allergic to many air fresheners. I can't guarantee that you won't be allergic, but it would seem to be highly unlikely.

Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story
Galina Petrovna's Three-Legged Dog Story
by Andrea Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars I said philately..., 13 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well written though this story is, with acute observation and lyrical detail throughout, I failed to really connect with it. I think this is because it is set in an almost modern Russia, a place I personally am not much interested in, and about a lost dog, which was not exactly the most riveting of plots. I didn't exactly find it hilarious either, more poignant and rather sad. I can't help but feel Ms Bennett would do better with a British plot next time. The U3A here is just as likely to confuse fellatio with philately as its Russian counterpart...

Maclaren Soap Set
Maclaren Soap Set

5.0 out of 5 stars A great organic gift!, 9 April 2015
This review is from: Maclaren Soap Set (Baby Product)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know why these delicious soaps are only considered to be gifts for mothers to be; anyone would be delighted to receive them! They are absolutely gorgeous to use. The Ylang-Ylang is particularly nice. All the soaps are cruelty free. No animal products have been used and they have not be tested on animals. The Soil Association has also endorsed them as being a pure organic product with no pesticide residues. They come in a sophisticated yet recyclable black and white cardboard box, and each soap is clearly marked with an attractive card

LEGO Friends 41085: Vet Clinic
LEGO Friends 41085: Vet Clinic

5.0 out of 5 stars A female role model!, 31 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You may not be aware of this but there has been a campaign to persuade Lego to show attractive female models employed in scientific roles. A recent set showing female scientists sold out as soon as it was released in the US. It is considered a milestone and a collectors item. I feel this, much better value for money, set could follow it. It is great that Lego has chosen to model a female vet. In this country, of course, this mirrors reality as over 50% of vets are now female.

Our vet here is an attractive, fashionably dressed, auburn haired young lady. The packet clearly shows that being a vet is a trendy profession! She has all the instruments one would expect of a vet and a clinic that is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment that actually moves. It is thus a toy that any child can learn a lot from. The kit itself is easy to put together as the instructions included are very clear. With a little help any child should have it functioning within an hour or so.

When I was young my enlightened parents bought me a chemistry set which set me on the road to becoming a scientist. I hope that many a future vet will be inspired by being bought this set. It should provide hours of educational fun!

Lexar Professional JumpDrive S75 16GB USB 3.0 (150MB/s) Retractable Design Flash Drive Memory Stick - Purple
Offered by TotallyGadgets

5.0 out of 5 stars Resident Warlock Loves It!, 29 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I gave this to the Resident Warlock to test as I'm not much good at such things. He says he has found it very fast indeed. He loves the retractable design and the purple colour. He was amazed at the price and says it's very good value indeed.

Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Field Punishment No.1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fraser Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing, 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Field Punishment No.1 [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This film, concentrating as it does on the cruel treatment meted out to a group of Kiwi conscientious objectors during the First World War, makes for unrelentingly gruelling viewing. The depiction of military life, both on the Front and in various military prisons, is so graphic as to be painful. It is very difficult to watch.

Despite this, I didn't feel that the film managed to evoke the depth of sympathy for the characters it could have. I think this is because no attempt was made to show the protagonists' lives in New Zealand before the war. We weren't sure how or why they developed their pacifist views, and we weren't given the opportunity to empathise with the families whose lives must have been torn apart when their men left for war. I was left feeling what a nuisance the men were in the heat of battle when so much time and energy had to be spent ferrying them about and punishing them. I got quite annoyed when Archie refused to become a stretcher bearer; surely this would be preferable to being such a burden on his fellow soldiers?

So, I can't really recommend this film very highly. I feel very few people would want to view something quite so unrelentingly harrowing with such shallow characterisation and lack of progression.

Simply Good News
Simply Good News
by Tom Wright

5.0 out of 5 stars Jonny Wilkinson Subs For Jesus!, 28 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Simply Good News (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Using the interesting analogy of England winning the rugby World Cup, this book starts by explaining what makes something news. There has to be a contextual history, then a major event must happen in the present which has immediate and inevitable consequences into the future. Concerning the gospels, the history is the Jewish prophecy that a Messiah or King would come and rescue them. The major present event is the resurrection of Jesus (a bit like Jonny Wilkinson scoring the winning points for England). The future consequences are that the rescue of the whole earth by God has been put in place.

Such news, the book explains, isn't good for everyone. Just as England winning the World Cup was bad news for Australians and irrelevant for Americans, the Good News of the Gospels was bound to upset the Jews and be seen as totally meaningless by anyone who didn't worship one God. This is why St Paul had such a tough job! However, if we can all accept this interpretation of the New Testament life will be better for all of us, as we can rest assured that God has put the necessary processes in place to bring his Kingdom to earth.

Even though I am one of those terrible Christians who uses the Gospels for advice rather than as a newspaper, I must say I was thoroughly engaged and entertained by the book. Fed up, as so many of us are, by the dogma of the Church, I have tried to strip my own Christianity bare of "theology". I believe we all enter into the Kingdom of God, as Jesus said we would do, by listening to his words and doing what he tells us to do in the Gospels. However, this book made me think again. Maybe actually believing the resurrection a) happened b) had some significance. It will certainly occupy my mind this Easter.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20