Profile for The Old Grey Witch's Test > Reviews

Content by The Old Grey W...

The Old Grey Witch's Test
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revlon Highlighting Palette - 7.5 g
Revlon Highlighting Palette - 7.5 g

2.0 out of 5 stars Confused? Order this and you will be..., 30 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There has surely been some mistake here. The photograph of this product shows a palette of colours, which I took to include a highlighter, a concealer and a contour feature. What I've actually received is 7.5g of quite a dark brown pigment in a mirrored case with a handy shaping brush. The pigment is very soft and easy to apply. Using the brush it is possible to contour the face and lessen the effect of 'jowls' or a double chin. It is not really 'glitzy' enough to be a bronzer as such. So I am completely confused. What do you get if you click the pink option? Again the photo clearly shows a palette. But it's probably a blusher...

Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara, Black 10 ml
Revlon Grow Luscious Plumping Mascara, Black 10 ml
Offered by Tiger Lilley Cosmetics

4.0 out of 5 stars Great plumping effect. But instructions would help., 30 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this mascara might be too dark for me as I have a fair complexion, but I needn't have worried: it looks great. Lovely thick coverage of both upper and lower lashes. I particularly like the long brush which is easy to turn so that you can get a 'batwing' effect at the edges. This brings me to my only slight complaint...it would be useful if the mascara came packaged with a simple instruction pamphlet, showing users how to get the best look. Other brands do this when selling online.

Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow, Addictive 4.8 g
Revlon ColorStay 16 Hour Eye Shadow, Addictive 4.8 g

1.0 out of 5 stars Made me look like a druggie!, 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am very disappointed by this product. Firstly, mine had been damaged in the post, which suggest better packaging is required. The plastic was still intact but one of the colours had cracked so the powder was all over the casing. I am surprised at how small and shallow each colour is, as they looked bigger on the picture. I found the colours blended easily, but was left with an effect which just made my eyes look dirty. Addictive? I looked like I was on drugs! The colours have stayed on, but in this case this just means I've walked around with dirty looking dull eyes all day.

Can I just say that generally I really love Revlon products, I just don't think this is one of their greatest hits.

Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter, Peach Parfait 2.55 g
Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter, Peach Parfait 2.55 g

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely soft pink lip moisturiser, 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really gorgeous lip moisturiser/lip shine. I was a bit worried that the peach colour would be yellow based and thus colour draining, but it is a lovely soft pink which just blends beautifully into your lip colour. Just the thing to have around on these cold days or on a winter holiday. I would particularly recommend it for those not allowed to wear a great deal of make-up at work, as this makes your lips shine rather than adding colour.

Tiranti Soft Rubber Kidney - Large
Tiranti Soft Rubber Kidney - Large
Offered by Alec Tiranti Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Packs a Punch!, 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tiranti Soft Rubber Kidney - Large
I got this because I am taking a pottery class and they are not available at the college. I can't imagine why. This works great. It is bigger than other kidneys I've used in the past so packs a powerful punch against the clay. Very easy to clean and dry too.

Philips HP3621 200w InfraCare Lamp
Philips HP3621 200w InfraCare Lamp

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can use this, then go ahead!, 28 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unwrapping this I was pleased to find a very detailed instruction book. Well done, Philips! As these contained a lot of warnings which are not mentioned above, I will go over them now. You should not use this product if: you suffer from a severe disease like heart disease, thrombosis, acute inflammatory disease, blood coagulation disorders, lupus, malignant conditions, diseases associated with nerve demyelinisation; you have an implanted device; if you have swelling, or wounded skin in the area you wish to treat. If you are pregnant you should not not use it on the lower back/abdomen area.

This having be said, I tried using the lamp on my lower back to treat my gardening injuries, and found it removed the pain within 15 minutes. I also tried it on my face (you can only use the lamp cosmetically in this area, not therapeutically) with a facial mask. Great results!

As someone who cannot use ibuprofen products for pain relief, this lamp is a godsend. As the instructions say, you should not put any pain relief creams on before you use the lamp. What you can do is use the creams afterwards if you need some more deep seated treatment.

The only problem was trying to work out how to position myself and the lamp within reach of a socket! Perhaps in future Philipps could make a rechargeable option...

AATU 80/20 Chicken Dog Food, 1.5 Kg
AATU 80/20 Chicken Dog Food, 1.5 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Free Range Chicken!, 27 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As someone who would never eat a battery farmed chicken the best thing I can say about this product is that it's chicken is entirely free range. Hallelujah! As far as I know it is the only dog food that can make this boast. This has posed such a problem for me in the past that I've avoided chicken-based products. The manufacturers of this food are very keen on ethical, natural sourcing. But all this is pointless if your dog won't eat it. Happily, I can report that my dog loved it, even asking for seconds. The food is gluten free, made from natural ingredients, and even contains vital ingredients like glucosamine which is vital for healthy, pain free joints. What's not to like? Well, the high price clearly. If you can't afford to buy it as a main feed, it might be useful to buy it for treats; the biscuits are small and can easily be carried in a pouch or bag

My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises
My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises
by Fredrik Backman

1.0 out of 5 stars An IKEA of a book., 26 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The cover of the sample copy of this book that I was sent says: 'Following the same winning formula as bestsellers, such as Harold Fry and the 100 Year Old Man, this is a poignant, funny and life-affirming story...with a feisty old person at the centre!'

The first bit of this is accurate. This is a formulaic book; the writer is quite clearly trying to sell copies by cashing in on a popular trend. However, as someone who loved the other 2 books, I can say Mr Backman has failed to follow his formula. The story isn't poignant, it's kitsch. It isn't funny, it's sad. It isn't life-affirming, it's mundane. The old lady isn't feisty, she's demented and unbelievable. Comparing Harold Fry to this book is like comparing a fine Chippendale cabinet with an IKEA flat-pack.

Mr Backman's last book was evidently a No 1 Swedish bestseller. God help us if this is.

The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District
The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District
by James Rebanks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man And His Two Dogs, 25 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book should be called A shepherd's life rather than The shepherd's life because it tells the incredible story of how one shepherd, James Rebanks, once a disgruntled school failure with no GCSEs, educates himself, goes to Oxford to study history, and becomes a UNESCO tourism advisor, before returning to his family sheep farm in the Lake District.

The book is divided into four seasonal sections: summer, autumn, winter, and spring. In each of these James lucidly and graphically explains what tasks a mountain sheep farmer and his family must perform in order to survive. He also discusses the history of the region and his feelings about modern tourism.

The book is an agricultural tour de force. Every landscape, every personality, even every individual sheep, is brought alive by the excellent, exuberant, poetic writing. I felt I was at school with James, rounding up the sheep with James, building a dry stone wall with James, delivering lambs with James, and so on and so on.

Underlying this, however, are James's feelings concerning being 'hefted' or attached to a region. He first notices this at school where his teachers want him to get an education so he can escape his farming background. As his family have farmed in the area for generations, he does not want this so is put off school completely. Later he reads a Wainwright's guide to his valley and finds it bears no relation at all to the area he knows. His family does not exist. They are nobodies. He begins to realise how the working class history that has shaped every aspect of the landscape has been obliterated by the middle class search for leisure. Finally he comes to appreciate the work of Beatrix Potter who insisted that her farm should be kept as a working example rather than as a monument to be gawped at by the idle rich, His eventual job with UNESCO involves making sure that the money made from rural tourism goes back to the local community.

I cannot praise this book highly enough. Buy it.

Natural Long Wood Wooden Body Brush Massager Bath Shower Back Spa Scrubber
Natural Long Wood Wooden Body Brush Massager Bath Shower Back Spa Scrubber
Offered by Mestall(Ship from HongKong)

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made, 25 Jan. 2015
Product very poorly made. Handle had come away from the brush and was missing a piece. I managed to insert the handle having filed down a splintery section, but it still comes off on rigorous use.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20