Profile for The Old Grey Witch's Test > Reviews

Content by The Old Grey W...

The Old Grey Witch's Test
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Grow Your Own Wedding Flowers: How to Grow and Arrange Your Own Flowers for All Special Occasions
by Georgie Newbery

4.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title!, 6 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The trouble with this book is its title. As it stands someone like me, who loves to grow plants and would like to know more about flower arranging but with little need for knowing about wedding floristry, would be unlikely to buy this book. Yet, in reality, there is so much here for us, from both a gardening and arranging perspective, beautifully presented and with gorgeous illustrations, that it would be very sad if we were to miss out. I was particularly impressed to find arrangements for every season, and the interesting inclusion of wild flowers and plant parts other than just flowers. The book should be called "From Seed To Celebration: Producing your own floral arrangements in every season." I hope it isn't too late to change the title before the admirable Ms Newbery (a legend in her own lifetime!) misses out on sales.

Getting By: Estates, Class and Culture in Austerity Britain
Getting By: Estates, Class and Culture in Austerity Britain
by Lisa Mckenzie

1.0 out of 5 stars A bleating diatribe., 2 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As another reviewer has already said, the author of this book shoots herself in the foot. Perhaps it would help if I explain why I also found this to be the case. My grandfather was a Nottinghamshire miner and I grew up with a mother who showed endless resourcefulness and fighting spirit even in the most dire of circumstances, born, I think, of growing up in a mining community during the Depression years. In agreeing to read this book from Amazon Vine I was hoping to find similar stories to my mother's and I was predisposed to be sympathetic to the plight of those from the St. Anne's estate.

Instead, what I discovered in this book was a bleating left-wing diatribe written in the most appalling sociology-ese. The real people on the estate rarely got a look in: their contribution limited to the occasional paragraph, whilst in the background Ms McKenzie harped on about various (highly dubious) sociological theories which appear to amount to putting very long names on highly simplistic observations.

And what of the people themselves? We discover that the women, who all seem to consist of single mothers, spend a lot of time exchanging information with others on how to fool the benefits agency. The men, all involved in crime, spend most of their time evading the police. In other words, far from painting a picture of resourcefulness and resilience, Ms McKenzie ends up presenting us with something that can only make one feel that these people are just, as Jeremy Kyle would say, "a waste of space". What makes things worse is that it evident that the small number of folk who escape St Anne's do so by getting useless sociology degrees. God help them. God help the rest of us!

Lavario Cooling Sleeve CD02 - nylon bottle cooler with drawstring approx. 6 x 9 in (15.5 x 23 cm)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for picnics!, 30 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a seriously smart bit of kit. Because of the elasticated sides it fits snugly round any bottle. It is really simple to use. You just put it in the freezer until the contents are chilled, and then fit it to the bottle of your choice. Then you are ready to go. Wonderful for picnics!

Canada Pooch Army Parka, Size 20 W, Green, dog coat
Canada Pooch Army Parka, Size 20 W, Green, dog coat

4.0 out of 5 stars Beware Canadian sizing!, 30 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is absolutely gorgeous! I just love the faux sheep skin (the whole thing is actually made from polyester), the hood, the pockets and the little loop for hanging it up. Unfortunately, even though I have been sent a large size, it is still too small the Great Amazon Vine Testing Beagle so we cannot do it up. It is more than big enough length ways, so I can only conclude this is for very long, very thin dogs...a saluki, greyhound, vizla, or dalmation perhaps. I will report back more fully when I found a dog to test it on!

The Madwoman Upstairs
The Madwoman Upstairs
by Catherine Lowell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked!, 27 Jan. 2016
This review is from: The Madwoman Upstairs (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is very rarely that a publisher undersells one of its books. Usually as an Amazon Vine member, I get books described as 'bestselling' 'works of genius' 'hilariously funny' etc etc etc. And they are usually massive disappointments. This one was just labelled 'witty' and this is exactly what it is: from beginning to end. If you suffered at school being forced to read the lamentable Jane Eyre for O-level when all you wanted to do was watch Monty Python's Flying Circus, then this is the book for you. And believe me, revenge is very very sweet. Just about every page and every turn of this highly improbable story is a pastiche of the original. Wicked!

So, well done to you, Catherine Lowell, for lifting the lid on the Brontes, Oxbridge, and academia. I thoroughly enjoyed our book and hope you write many more.

Maybelline Push Up Drama Mascara, Very Black
Maybelline Push Up Drama Mascara, Very Black
Offered by Tiger Lilley Cosmetics

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for night flights!, 25 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This mascara certainly does what it says it does. In spades! I applied 2 layers to both my upper and lower lashes and the effect was really dramatic, especially on the lower ones. This is certainly the look for night flights on the old broom! I am also pleased to announce that I got suffered no soreness in my eyes, even after several hours. Just one thing stops me from giving five stars. It certainly isn't waterproof. So, if your dramatic appearances include bursting into floods of tears you'd better use another product; otherwise you'll end up looking more panda than femme fatale.

Lenspen Peeps Eyeglass Cleaner - White
Lenspen Peeps Eyeglass Cleaner - White
Offered by CameraKing - UK Registered Company. VAT receipt included

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an absolutely brilliant gadget! It is really easy to use. You just pull up the button at one end and out pops a thick little brush which wipes away all the surface dust. Then you pull out the other end to reveal two little pads at the end of the plastic ribs. You put the pads on each side of your lenses, and squeeze the plastic so you make good contact before making little swirling motions. Voila. Your glasses are super clean and you can put the device back in your bag, pocket or whatever. I'll certainly be taking these on all my night flights in future!

Canada Pooch Everything Harness, Medium, Black
Canada Pooch Everything Harness, Medium, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Go up a size!, 23 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first sight this looks like a really smart piece of doggy kit, much nicer than the stringy vest thing my dog usually has to wear to the park. However, I've been unable to test it fully as the manufacturers sent me the medium size. Much to my surprise this turned out to be much too small for my dog, a fairly medium, though admittedly somewhat portly, beagle. OK, so my dog may just be too fat, but the worrying thing is that there is no way of adjusting the neck fastening. As dogs vary a lot in this measurement I reckon this is quite a bad design fault. At the very least, I think it means you should go up a size when ordering. On the good side, the metal rings are of high quality, and the loop which allows you to attach your dog to a car safety belt is obviously a very good idea.

P.S. Since writing this review I found a Norfolk terrier/pug cross who kindly agreed to test it for us. The harness fits him perfectly, and his owner reports it is one of the best harnesses he has tried. One thing worries him, though, and that is when he has the lead attached on the back ring the harness pulls around the neck which does not happen with other harnesses.

The Pink Stuff - The Miracle Paste All Purpose Cleaner 500g
The Pink Stuff - The Miracle Paste All Purpose Cleaner 500g
Offered by Express Essentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleans up the old hovel a treat..., 17 Jan. 2016
This is brilliant stuff! I have so far used it to clean a really dirty sink and some old damp stains in the bathroom. My hovel is looking great!

5 SIZES available. Loving Care Pet Products Ultra Supreme XL 77 cm 30 inch Pet Bed, Dog Bed, Cat Bed. Completely Machine Washable. Super Plush, Thermal, Water, Wind, Oil and Urine Resistant, Durable, High Reinforced Sides, Heavy Duty Non Skid Bottom. Top Quality, Non Allergenic Materials. Removable/Reversible pillow mattress. All Season, All Weather DOG, CAT, KITTEN and PUPPY Pet Bed. Five Sizes to Fit Most Pets.
Offered by LOVING CARE PET PRODUCTS

4.0 out of 5 stars Sizing issue, 11 Jan. 2016
Great bed, but you have to be really careful about the sizing. I first ordered a large for my beagle, as the chart mentioned beagle in the list. Well, my beagle certainly didn't fit into it and unfortunately damaged the bottom trying to get it to her liking. So I ordered the xl which is perfect for her. My advice would be that if your dog likes to stretch out when sleeping then go up a size. I have found the large size is ideal for my two cats who love to snuggle up together.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2016 2:58 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20