Profile for The Old Grey Witch's Test > Reviews

Content by The Old Grey W...

The Old Grey Witch's Test
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tacwise 0396 18G/ 25mm Nails (Box of 5000)
Tacwise 0396 18G/ 25mm Nails (Box of 5000)

4.0 out of 5 stars I was told to give this five stars, so.., 13 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing I must say here is how impressed I am by the Tacwise Customer Care team. In order to get we on the AMAZON Vine programme to test their nails they also sent us a free nail gun. The package came with a full set of instructions, which I can tell you is rare in the online tool world and something for which I've criticised Tacwise in the past. But the parcel also came with a letter explaining that all this had been done so that we could now give a five star review for the nails. Ho, hum...

Now I've said this you need to ask yourself whether you believe the other Vine posted five star reviews.

Anyway, what we have here is 5000 well engineered, cute little galvanised nails, that are easy to fit into the nail gun and easy to fire. Thanks to them my resident Warlock made a bird table in under 10 minutes. It was certainly quick, but somehow lacked the satisfaction that the slow tap tap tap of the old fashioned hammer method. Also one has the disadvantage that the nails embed themselves so firmly that undoing a mistake is nigh on impossible. It's easy to get carried away with this and just start nailing away willy nilly, all caution blown to the wind in a flurry of manic intensity. And with 5000 to play with, there's nothing stopping you going completely berserk!

If you're looking to put that final nail in your coffin then look no further.

Ha! Customer Service Team I hope you regret that five star plea now. The Old Witch took a star off because of it. Beware, she won't be bribed...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 8:13 PM GMT

Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, 2700K Warm White, Dimmable
Philips 5W (50W) GU10 Master LED Value Spot Light, 2700K Warm White, Dimmable

5.0 out of 5 stars Watter powerful glow!, 12 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have now installed this (with a little help from the resident Warlock of course) in my hovel bathroom above the loo, and I must say I'm very pleased with the warm white glow it emits onto the bowl below. You would never guess it was only a five watter! According to the blurb it should function for the next 15 years, which is probably longer than I will. Only time will tell if it is cost effective, but it certainly looks like an excellent product.

Challenge Salmon and Whitefish Dog Biscuits, 300 g
Challenge Salmon and Whitefish Dog Biscuits, 300 g

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of omega thingies!, 9 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My beagle absolutely loves these! This is a very convenient way of making sure your dog gets all its omega thingies. Particularly for elderly dogs with joint problems, I would imagine. They should also improve skin and coat health. They are gluten free and don't contain any artificial ingredients. The biscuits are large and crunchy so must also have some value in cleaning teeth. They are however a bit too large to use as walkies treats...better to add a few to everyday meals to maintain health.

Challenge North Atlantic Salmon Oil, 250 ml
Challenge North Atlantic Salmon Oil, 250 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars My cat doesn't like it!, 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm sure all the health benefits described by the manufacturers are true and that my poor itchy cat could really do with it. But the fact is he doesn't like it. If I put it on his biscuits he simply works round the oiled ones and is therefore getting thinner as well as itchier! My dog, on the other hand, laps it up, even though she doesn't need it! It seems to me that there are easier ways to get omega 3s into an animal's diet than by covering their food with oil. Plenty of dried foods have omega 3 supplements for instance. If your pet has any of the problems described on the label, I suggest you seek vetinerary advise before investing in this oil.

Lost & Found
Lost & Found
by Brooke Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbearably twee., 8 Dec 2014
This review is from: Lost & Found (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Here we go! I know my review is going to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb but I really didn't like this book.

It was perhaps inevitable I wouldn't like it after the unbearable hype that accompanied it. Beware publishers, if you over egg, the result can end up on your faces!

OK, so I can accept that the book started out well, as Ms Davis is adept at describing the world from a little girl's eyes. However, after the first few hours of the girl's abandonment I was no longer finding the situation funny; as it went on unremittingly for three days I was appalled. I started to find other characters totally unbelievable. Would anyone tell a child who has just lost her mother that some social workers are coming who will send her to a new family? And all the while I was being subjected to this totally twee writing style as though nothing was wrong! I couldn't bear it. I skipped to the end, which was treacly sentimental (yuck!), then tracked back to see if I'd missed anything (I hadn't).

I suppose it's Australian humour. I just don't get it. I can't imagine that many of you will either...
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2014 8:08 AM GMT

Print: Fashion, Interiors, Art
Print: Fashion, Interiors, Art
by Simon Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The moment you unwrap this book, its WOW factor is evident; the cover has the most luxuriant fabric dust cover. Then, inside, page after page, you can enjoy wonderful photographic work, accompanying the well-written words of the artists themselves. You discover what inspires each artist, why they work in the medium they choose, and their intention in the production of each work.

As is explained in the introduction, the aim of the book is to showcase many of the most imaginative contemporary examples of print. It encompasses a wide variety of substrates, from paper to organic, synthetic, and blended fabrics through to non-woven examples such as vinyls. The introduction itself gives a brief, clear history of the major trends in printing and explains why certain artists have been included.

The book would make an excellent gift for anyone interested in contemporary craft. It should be available in all art departments throughout the country. I cannot recommend it highly enough, I wish I could give it ten stars!

This is Paradise
This is Paradise

1.0 out of 5 stars Hideous Writing, 3 Dec 2014
This review is from: This is Paradise (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book from Amazon Vine because I normally love books about everyday family dynamics. But this family is anything but everyday. Every member is decidedly loony tunes. And then there's the hideous writing style: bare, bland, and brutal. The plot itself skips backwards and forwards with manic indifference. It's set in Bath, is it? You would never know it. The author is hopeless at scene setting. He seems intent on keeping the reader distanced from the characters and their actions. I finished the book with nothing but a feeling of relief.

Linksys E8350 Advanced Dual Band AC2400 WiFi Router with Gigabit Ethernet (1.4 Ghz Processor, 4x4 AC, USB 3.0, USB 2.0/eSATA, MU-Mimo)

5.0 out of 5 stars For the old lady who lives in a shoe..., 3 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this from the AMAZON Vine programme because I thought it would have a greater range than my BT Homehub. I dreamed of using my tablet in my grandly named conservatory (aka shed) or on my hovel roof. The result? Well, after 2 hours fighting to get the thing connected (and this was with the help of a local computer whizz warlock), I found its range was actually worse. I couldn't even get a signal in my bedroom!

I haven't however given this one star as I think some of the other features may be of use to others. If you are an owner of a small guesthouse, for instance, you will find its independent data streams useful. If you are not a witch but the old woman who lives in a shoe who has so many children...they can't all play on their computers at the same time, then this is for you!

PS: Since posting this review, I received a very nice e-mail from Linksys telling me how to adjust the wireless channel to get a better range. They suggest trying 1,6,9, and 11 on 2.4 GHz and 157/161 on 5GHz. I'm going to try these. Meanwhile, I am so impressed with Linksys Customer Service I'm updating my rating!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2014 8:27 PM GMT

Cole & Mason Electronic Gourmet Precision Grind 21 cm Greenwich Stainless Steel Pepper Mill
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars No more toil and trouble!, 3 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a gorgeous pepper mill! And so easy to use. An instruction leaflet is included, so it is easy to get the 6AAA batteries and the peppercorns in the right place. Then you simply choose which coarseness of pepper you require and touch the button on the top. Perfection! It's great if you are an old crone like me who can't twist your wrists. No more hubble bubble toil and trouble for me! The packaging is also very attractive if you are giving it as a gift (you could include the batteries in a separately wrapped parcel...)

Cities That Shaped the Ancient World
Cities That Shaped the Ancient World
by John Julius Norwich

3.0 out of 5 stars Showy but lacks substance., 1 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There can be no doubt that this is a beautifully produced coffee-table book that anyone newly interested in the archeology/architecture of the ancient world would love to receive as a gift.

However, I do have many reservations about the book. Although I enjoyed the introduction which clearly explained why cities may form in one place rather than another, I was less impressed with the quality of the writing that accompanied the cities themselves. Each writer appeared to have been allowed to waffle on with little editorial control being applied. Some of the resulting narratives are entertaining others dull beyond belief. I felt that things might have been improved if the same subtitles had been applied to each city, so we could be clear about the city's importance, its architecture, its major archeological finds, and what is known of the culture of its citizens. I would have liked to have seen more detailed maps and plans, and more information about where artefacts relating to each city can be seen. I had the feeling, too, that the photographs were archival in origin, as they were not referred to in the text.

This, then, is a book that has been produced for show, for the Christmas market; it is not one of great substance. For beginners, perhaps...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20