Profile for D E Barker > Reviews

Kipling Women's Alenya Shoulder Bag K10623C21 Black Animal
Price: 68.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal work bag., 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Every woman who is hooked on a certain TV shopping channel will I'm sure already be aware of Kipling's unique lightweight, washable yet sturdy and practical bags. This one is no exception, kitted out as it is with all the usual compartments and the great clasp for attaching one's keys. Yet, I was still surprised by the size of this one. It is large enough to carry one's I-pad, notes, lunch, umbrella, make-up, etc etc etc!!! As such it is the ideal work bag. I'm sure many a young student starting university or college would love this bag, but it would also suit the older professional woman. I can quite imagine a barrister striding into court with it, or a PA taking it to the office. The black animal pattern makes it a bit more interesting than a plain black design whilst not in any way detracting from its professional look. All in all a great bag!

BISSELL Vac & Steam Cleaner, 1500 Watt, Red
BISSELL Vac & Steam Cleaner, 1500 Watt, Red
Price: 129.00

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!!!, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What stops most of us washing our floor as often as we should? It is knowing that before we start we will either have to vacuum or sweep. Also we realise how long our floor is going to take to dry. And then the washing procedure produces more waste so we have to get the vacuum out again! Now at last Bissell has produced this fab product that does the whole thing in one go. I first tried it out with the soft pad on two small bathrooms. The whole process took under 15 minutes and the results were magnificent. Not a stray hair in sight and a floor that was merely slightly damp and which dried completely in under 20 minutes. And, unlike other steam cleaners I have used in the past, the rooms were steam free. I then attached the stiffer pad (a very easy process) to attack my filthy kitchen floor (don't ask!). This pad removed even the embedded grime from the highly uneven tiles. It even loosened a dog feeding mat that has been stuck to the floor for 4 years! Again, all the steam went into the floor, and there was no damp atmosphere left in the room. Thanks to the air fresheners supplied with the product, my kitchen now smells like a flowery meadow (whatever happened to good old Norwegian Pine?). Just one thing. The product is quite heavy to carry up and down stairs, and takes quite a bit of effort on an uneven surface. So don't buy it if you are not in fairly good shape. Also, unlike some other steam cleaners you have to use deionised water, so this is an extra expense you have to think about.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka
Price: 10.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Ha! A Smart Carb is a Gluten Free One!, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's be clear here. What Ms Haschka calls 'white carbs' are white bread, white pasta, white rice, and potatoes (colour unspecified). These are to be abandoned in favour of 'smart carbs' consisting of quinoa, chia seeds, linseed, chickpea flour, rice malt syrup, and apple cider vinegar. On our new diet we will find ourselves eating a lot of pulses which, Ms Haschka tells us, will make us fart a lot. We can alleviate this by adding cumin and other spices to our food. Ms Haschka happened upon this diet after having suffered a bout of food poisoning. She discovered her new diet made her feel better. Despite the hilariously garbled theory, the recipes in the book are very good indeed, and they probably will make a lot of people feel better because most of them are gluten free! Yes, because Ms Haschka doesn't substitute white carbs with brown ones, we are left with 98 totally gluten free recipes and 2 almost gluten free ones (be careful when using Worcester and soy sauce as these contain white flour sometimes). I found the breakfast recipes a bit too complicated, and I expect most of us would too. But the rest are really yummy, and highly creative, especially the deserts. Those of us who are already gluten free will be used to the ingredients, but I suspect others may have some problems sourcing them. Even I don't know what rice malt syrup is. It is for this reason I've taken off a star.

Could I Do That?
Could I Do That?
by Simon Hartley
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars With the Right Attitude, Yes!, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Could I Do That? (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I must say that I didn't like this book much at first as Mr Hartley seemed to be referring only to those idiots who take up selfish, pointless , physical challenges like unicycling from Land's End to John O'Groats with a pancake stuffed up their nose. Although Mr Hartley himself is indeed somewhat of this ilk, he soon shows us sound sensible principles which could inspire anyone out of their comfort zone towards greater achievement in their chosen area. I was glad to read that he understands the importance of values. He makes the point that the person who is more motivated to reach their goals is the one who is not doing it to achieve status or success, but the one who enjoys the process of the activity itself and who wants to do their best, in order to help both themselves and others. He makes good use of inspirational quotes from those who have achieved success, and clearly shows the difference between a positive and a negative attitude. I was so inspired by the book I couldn't put it down and read it in one go. The next day I planted a bag of potatoes with more love and care than I have ever done in my life (but without a pancake stuck up my nose).

The Yellow World: Trust Your Dreams and They'll Come True
The Yellow World: Trust Your Dreams and They'll Come True
by Albert Espinosa
Price: 6.29

1.0 out of 5 stars Glib, 23 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is with real regret that I find myself writing this review. When I ordered it through the Amazon Vine programme I was expecting to receive a deeply inspirational book which I could give to a friend currently fighting cancer. This book, however, is a set of rather glib suggestions concerning positive thinking. It was written by a man who suffered from cancer in his teenage years, and as such may well appeal to other male adolescent cancer sufferers. However, it would be a totally inappropriate book for any woman, and not only because it contains chapters on the importance of wanking and the like. The section on Yellow People becomes more and more daft as it continues. I'm sure we have all come across people who have changed the direction of our lives. To me these would be Yellow People. However the author insists that to become Yellow these people would have had to spend the night with us without having sex. What nonsense!

Be Brilliant Every Day
Be Brilliant Every Day
by Andy Cope
Price: 7.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Flippant., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Be Brilliant Every Day (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have spent 3 less than brilliant evenings reading this book, and this is what I've gleaned. If you want to be brilliant you must:
1. Be grateful for the good things in your life however small
2. Concentrate on the present
3. Be positive
4. Do your best.
5. Avoid all those who get you down.
6. Don't look for happiness outside yourself.

I think that was it. Do you really need degrees in psychology to find this out?
Maybe you just need degrees in psychology to make money from it...

Sorry about flippant approach.
I found the book unbearably flippant too.

It also only seemed to relate to employed parents of young children whose life, evidently, passes in a blur.
What about the rest of us. Unemployed? Old? Childless?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 11:48 AM BST

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt
Price: 10.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Hunt goes shopping..., 8 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I start, may I first say that I when I ordered this book from Amazon Vine I was under the misapprehension that it was a cookbook based on produce you can grow yourself through the seasons. This is not the case. The book is based on produce that is at its cheapest and most plentiful in shops each month. Yes, Mr Hunt goes shopping. Sometimes even in supermarkets! This explains why we are supposed to be eating aubergines in the summer and making marmalade in the winter. That being said, the book has an innovative twist. It identifies a key product each month and then explains three ways of cooking it alone. It then described recipes where the cooked product is integrated with other ingredients, some of which could be described as leftovers. The book is clearly laid out with excellent production. The reason I give it four stars instead of five is that, being a keen grower of crops, I really can't agree with some of the choices for key product of the month. Radishes? Spring onions? I don't think so...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 12:30 PM BST

Silentnight Impress Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow - Super Comfort and Firm Support
Silentnight Impress Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow - Super Comfort and Firm Support

2.0 out of 5 stars Too hard, 7 Jun 2014
I found this pillow too firm to sleep on. So did my husband. It's only useful if you want to sit up in bed.

The Forever Girl: A Novel
The Forever Girl: A Novel
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 11.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 31 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very much looking forward to receiving this novel as Alexander McCall Smith has a good reputation. I started reading it avidly the day it arrived, but after a week or so I found it was more and more of a struggle to go back to it. The reason for this is that the characters, being a bunch of bored and boring ex-pats, really didn't engage me at all, and Mr McCall Smith makes almost no attempt to evoke interest in his settings. Then there is the problem that nothing much happens! Anyway, I would say the book is nothing more than very light holiday reading. If you want something more, buy something else.

The Cabana Cookbook
The Cabana Cookbook
by David Ponté
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal footy party fodder!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Cabana Cookbook (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is just the book to buy if you want to entertain during the World Cup, as it gives full instructions for planning, preparing and providing both a traditional Brazilian barbecue and a street party, plus instructions for the appropriate music mix and samba dance foot placements! The book itself is highly informative concerning the Brazilian way of life and makes for an interesting read even if you don't make the recipes. The recipes themselves are easy to follow and accompanied by sumptuous photographs. The drinks section is great! I was pleased to see that so much of the cuisine is gluten-free. The one thing I would say is that some of the ingredients would be hard to find here, so it would have been nice if a list of appropriate suppliers had been included.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15