Profile for D E Barker > Reviews

Be Brilliant Every Day
by Andy Cope
Price: 7.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Flippant., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Be Brilliant Every Day (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have spent 3 less than brilliant evenings reading this book, and this is what I've gleaned. If you want to be brilliant you must:
1. Be grateful for the good things in your life however small
2. Concentrate on the present
3. Be positive
4. Do your best.
5. Avoid all those who get you down.
6. Don't look for happiness outside yourself.

I think that was it. Do you really need degrees in psychology to find this out?
Maybe you just need degrees in psychology to make money from it...

Sorry about flippant approach.
I found the book unbearably flippant too.

It also only seemed to relate to employed parents of young children whose life, evidently, passes in a blur.
What about the rest of us. Unemployed? Old? Childless?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 11:48 AM BST

The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Hunt goes shopping..., 8 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I start, may I first say that I when I ordered this book from Amazon Vine I was under the misapprehension that it was a cookbook based on produce you can grow yourself through the seasons. This is not the case. The book is based on produce that is at its cheapest and most plentiful in shops each month. Yes, Mr Hunt goes shopping. Sometimes even in supermarkets! This explains why we are supposed to be eating aubergines in the summer and making marmalade in the winter. That being said, the book has an innovative twist. It identifies a key product each month and then explains three ways of cooking it alone. It then described recipes where the cooked product is integrated with other ingredients, some of which could be described as leftovers. The book is clearly laid out with excellent production. The reason I give it four stars instead of five is that, being a keen grower of crops, I really can't agree with some of the choices for key product of the month. Radishes? Spring onions? I don't think so...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2014 12:30 PM BST

Silentnight Impress Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow - Super Comfort and Firm Support
Silentnight Impress Deluxe Memory Foam Pillow - Super Comfort and Firm Support
Offered by UK-Bedding
Price: 21.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too hard, 7 Jun 2014
I found this pillow too firm to sleep on. So did my husband. It's only useful if you want to sit up in bed.

The Forever Girl: A Novel
The Forever Girl: A Novel
by Alexander McCall Smith
Price: 11.89

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 31 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very much looking forward to receiving this novel as Alexander McCall Smith has a good reputation. I started reading it avidly the day it arrived, but after a week or so I found it was more and more of a struggle to go back to it. The reason for this is that the characters, being a bunch of bored and boring ex-pats, really didn't engage me at all, and Mr McCall Smith makes almost no attempt to evoke interest in his settings. Then there is the problem that nothing much happens! Anyway, I would say the book is nothing more than very light holiday reading. If you want something more, buy something else.

The Cabana Cookbook
The Cabana Cookbook
by David Ponté
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal footy party fodder!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: The Cabana Cookbook (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is just the book to buy if you want to entertain during the World Cup, as it gives full instructions for planning, preparing and providing both a traditional Brazilian barbecue and a street party, plus instructions for the appropriate music mix and samba dance foot placements! The book itself is highly informative concerning the Brazilian way of life and makes for an interesting read even if you don't make the recipes. The recipes themselves are easy to follow and accompanied by sumptuous photographs. The drinks section is great! I was pleased to see that so much of the cuisine is gluten-free. The one thing I would say is that some of the ingredients would be hard to find here, so it would have been nice if a list of appropriate suppliers had been included.

The Age of Ecology
The Age of Ecology
by Joachim Radkau
Price: 30.00

1.0 out of 5 stars A Tedious Trudge., 18 May 2014
This review is from: The Age of Ecology (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Speaking as someone who first became interested in the many facets of environmentalism back in the 1970s and whose entire life has been shaped by its beliefs, it is difficult to get across just what a disappointment this book is. Gone is the excitement of the scientific discovery of ecological laws, totally missing is the tension and tenacity that has been required to get our point across politically. In its place is the most tedious German prose style that reads more like a telephone directory than even the most mundane textbook. The book is nothing but a tedious trudge. Don't waste any paper buying it.

New 5 Zone DOUBLE Size Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Each Zone Targets Specific Body Points While Allowing Air Circulation. ***Limited Offer: Now Includes A Free Fitted Washable Cover***
Offered by The Linen Depot
Price: 106.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Really supportive!, 17 May 2014
I let the mattress lie flat in a spare room for a week before I used it so I wouldn't be bothered by the smell. I am now finding it fantastic. It certainly supports my poor old back and my painful knees and remains cool even on hot nights.

Psychiatry on the Move (MOTM)
Psychiatry on the Move (MOTM)
by Molly Douglas
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars For medics? Really?, 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The best thing about this book are that it is possible to download it's entire contents onto your smart phone or i-pad, so you can quickly look up symptoms, diagnoses and drug treatments on the go. The worst thing has to be the superficial nature of the contents. I am surprised it's aimed at medical students. I'm just an A-level psychology teacher and even I'm finding it lacking in depth. God help us if this is all you need to know to pass your psychiatry exams!

NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
NOCO G3500UK Genius Smart Battery Charger
Price: 29.16

5.0 out of 5 stars A Neat Kit., 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been looking for a long time for a suitable charger to put in the tiny boot of my Smart car. This fits the bill nicely. A really neat kit that fits snugly into an small box. The instructions are easy to follow and the whole thing seems idiot proof. Suits me to a tee.

Noteability: The Grand Rhythm and Clues Game
Noteability: The Grand Rhythm and Clues Game
Offered by chrisma1005
Price: 29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious game, 27 Mar 2014
So glad to get a new version of this. We used our last set so much the dear little piano finally refused to play. It really is a hilarious game, especially if you play it with people of no musical ability. No-one ever forgets playing it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14