Profile for D E Barker > Reviews

IMEDEEN Hair and Nails
IMEDEEN Hair and Nails

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!, 20 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I asked to be sent this product by the Amazon Vine programme, but I'm am NOT taking it. This is because when I examined the contents, I found the first listed ingredient was Horsetail extract which not only is not proven to be a hair and nail improver, but also has been shown to have serious side effects when taken over a long period of time (you can check this online via Medline, if you like). As the leaflet suggests you will only get an effect after 4 months, you are obviously expected to take it over an extended period. So, I would stay well clear of this product. The other ingredients, zinc and B vitamins, may well be helpful if you have brittle nails. There are plenty of other vitamin and mineral supplements that contain these. I suggest you visit your pharmacist to see what he/she advises.

Konstsmide Lightsets Outdoor 3612-110 19.04 m 120 Micro LED Fairy Lights, Warm White

3.0 out of 5 stars Too bright. Too white., 19 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first foray into LED Christmas lights, and I must say it's a relief not having to worry about individual bulb failures. I first tested the lights as a pack, and nearly detached my retinas! This leads me to my main criticism of the lights: I think they are far too bright for internal display. They would be ideal for a small tree outside the house and this is how I intend to use them. However, if I were buying a set of lights for this purpose I would prefer to have a set which gave a choice of settings and colours. I don't think solid white colour is very festive outside.

The Moon Field
The Moon Field
by Judith Allnatt

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not engaging., 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Moon Field (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a rather formulaic upstairs-downstairs version of life during the First World War. I very nearly stopped reading after the first chapter as I found the dialogue between the working class lads that hero George joins up with almost laughable. Ms Allnatt has no ear for accent; folk from the North West of England would never talk like this. However, I'm glad I did read on because the 'upstairs' parts are far better drawn, and the romantic interludes between Edmund and Violet are believable. I must say, here, that I'm surprised Ms Allnatt chose to focus on her male leads; Violet and Kitty are far more interesting as characters than wimpy George and goody goody Edmund. Also, there are already so many (better) fictional war accounts, it would have been more interesting to have focused on the women.
Generally, I found the writing style rather flat. It is functional writing with no frills. Ms Allnatt describes what is there, more or less, but she doesn't inspire or thrill. At no point was I tempted to turn a page down because I found a description particularly good or an observation acutely pertinent. I found the book very difficult to finish because I was not fully engaged either by the plot or the characters.

Busy B A4 Recipe File - Blue
Busy B A4 Recipe File - Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply Made Rubbish, 12 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first saw this product I thought it looked rather old fashioned and I was right. Who nowadays clips recipes? Surely we use the internet and buy books? However, if you did do so what you would want is something neat and stable. Unfortunately the A4 size makes this unwieldy. The plastic sheets for storing the recipes are flimsy and would soon, I'm sure, rip. As I was examining the item all the loose pages for writing recipes on fell out which just about says it all. I'm sure most cooks realise that hardcopy single recipes are best kept in a box card index style, with a small stand to balance each one as required. This product is simply cheaply made rubbish.

Fresh Prints: 25 Easy and Enticing Printing Projects to Make at Home (Simple Makes)
by Christine Leech

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing Potato Masher Art!, 12 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'll come clean. I'm not drawn to the art of printing at all. All that equipment, the ink, the need for a sink: I just don't have the facilities. However, I am a keen card maker. And what I found in this book opened up a whole range of creative possibilities which I could easily adapt to my own equipment. I have stamping ink. I have plastic plates. I have a rolling pin! Having read the book I can now make feathers from sweet potatoes, print botanical etchings using leaf material, make fabulous patterns using a potato masher, and make my own sponge hares! So, this book would be ideal for anyone who already likes simple crafting techniques like stamping and wants to take things to another level. It would make an ideal gift for a young teenager wishing to add an original touch to her clothes and surroundings. Mothers and primary school teachers might like it as it inspires one to make art out of very simple everyday objects. It's a great buy

VIBE Slick Grip for iPad - Red
VIBE Slick Grip for iPad - Red
Offered by IvoryEgg

3.0 out of 5 stars Richer sound and easier typing. Colour tacky., 4 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Can I just get something off my chest first? I'm appalled that those of us who pay so much for our I-pads have to pay extra to make it easy to type on and to stand it up! That being said, this device does both of these things, though the standing up bit is still somewhat precarious. It improves the richness of the sounds being produced (not the decibel level). And it makes the device easier to hold. The colour, however, is tacky (I was only offered the red version). I would prefer a dark purple or pink. All-in-all it's OK, but not something I'd put on my Christmas list.

Russell Hobbs 18986 Rosso 3-in-1 Hand Blender, Red
Russell Hobbs 18986 Rosso 3-in-1 Hand Blender, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the single cook!, 2 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think all of us no longer living in the seventies have rejected our old bulky food mixers for stick blenders. They
take very little surface space, are ready to use in an instant, are easy to clean, and, nowadays, can perform a variety of tasks. This blender is no exception. I was pleased with the easy way the parts slotted together and was soon blending soups, chopping vegetables to use on a pizza, and whipping cream with it. My previous blender was a much more expensive Bosch. This one is much lighter, which may suggest it is less robust (only time will tell), however it is far less fiddly and is easier to use. I don't think this blender would take excessive heavy use, but it would be a very good buy for the single person, perhaps a student, who only wishes to prepare small quantities of food.

Kipling Women's Alenya Shoulder Bag K10623C21 Black Animal
Kipling Women's Alenya Shoulder Bag K10623C21 Black Animal

5.0 out of 5 stars The ideal work bag., 31 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Every woman who is hooked on a certain TV shopping channel will I'm sure already be aware of Kipling's unique lightweight, washable yet sturdy and practical bags. This one is no exception, kitted out as it is with all the usual compartments and the great clasp for attaching one's keys. Yet, I was still surprised by the size of this one. It is large enough to carry one's I-pad, notes, lunch, umbrella, make-up, etc etc etc!!! As such it is the ideal work bag. I'm sure many a young student starting university or college would love this bag, but it would also suit the older professional woman. I can quite imagine a barrister striding into court with it, or a PA taking it to the office. The black animal pattern makes it a bit more interesting than a plain black design whilst not in any way detracting from its professional look. All in all a great bag!

BISSELL Vac & Steam Cleaner, 1500 Watt, Red
BISSELL Vac & Steam Cleaner, 1500 Watt, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars At Last!!!, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What stops most of us washing our floor as often as we should? It is knowing that before we start we will either have to vacuum or sweep. Also we realise how long our floor is going to take to dry. And then the washing procedure produces more waste so we have to get the vacuum out again! Now at last Bissell has produced this fab product that does the whole thing in one go. I first tried it out with the soft pad on two small bathrooms. The whole process took under 15 minutes and the results were magnificent. Not a stray hair in sight and a floor that was merely slightly damp and which dried completely in under 20 minutes. And, unlike other steam cleaners I have used in the past, the rooms were steam free. I then attached the stiffer pad (a very easy process) to attack my filthy kitchen floor (don't ask!). This pad removed even the embedded grime from the highly uneven tiles. It even loosened a dog feeding mat that has been stuck to the floor for 4 years! Again, all the steam went into the floor, and there was no damp atmosphere left in the room. Thanks to the air fresheners supplied with the product, my kitchen now smells like a flowery meadow (whatever happened to good old Norwegian Pine?). Just one thing. The product is quite heavy to carry up and down stairs, and takes quite a bit of effort on an uneven surface. So don't buy it if you are not in fairly good shape. Also, unlike some other steam cleaners you have to use deionised water, so this is an extra expense you have to think about.

Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
Cut the Carbs: 100 Recipes to Help You Ditch White Carbs and Feel Great
by Tori Haschka

4.0 out of 5 stars Ha! A Smart Carb is a Gluten Free One!, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let's be clear here. What Ms Haschka calls 'white carbs' are white bread, white pasta, white rice, and potatoes (colour unspecified). These are to be abandoned in favour of 'smart carbs' consisting of quinoa, chia seeds, linseed, chickpea flour, rice malt syrup, and apple cider vinegar. On our new diet we will find ourselves eating a lot of pulses which, Ms Haschka tells us, will make us fart a lot. We can alleviate this by adding cumin and other spices to our food. Ms Haschka happened upon this diet after having suffered a bout of food poisoning. She discovered her new diet made her feel better. Despite the hilariously garbled theory, the recipes in the book are very good indeed, and they probably will make a lot of people feel better because most of them are gluten free! Yes, because Ms Haschka doesn't substitute white carbs with brown ones, we are left with 98 totally gluten free recipes and 2 almost gluten free ones (be careful when using Worcester and soy sauce as these contain white flour sometimes). I found the breakfast recipes a bit too complicated, and I expect most of us would too. But the rest are really yummy, and highly creative, especially the deserts. Those of us who are already gluten free will be used to the ingredients, but I suspect others may have some problems sourcing them. Even I don't know what rice malt syrup is. It is for this reason I've taken off a star.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16