Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer (Buffalo, NY USA)

Bombay Dreams
Bombay Dreams
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed in the U.S., 19 July 2002
This review is from: Bombay Dreams (Audio CD)
I had heard the basics of the new production, and being interested in finding something new, I decided to give the soundtrack a try. I am not a great collector of theatrical soundtracks, but I am certainly glad that I took the chance.
The score was beautiful, and I absolutely fell in love with the rhythm of "Chalyya Chalyya" and "Wedding Qawwali", as well as the title track.
Honestly, I did find that there were a few of the quieter songs, like "Ohh La La" that perhaps might have come across better when viewing them on the stage that it is performed on, as the songs themselves came across as too slick and smooth for me.
"Don't Release Me" is an interesting song, it rather grew on me once I caught myself singing it in the car.
"Shakalaka Baby" and "Happy Endings" are more pop driven and could be easily pictured as singles. They are not your typical orchestra driven stage numbers and can be understood by a younger audience. If anyone remembers "Chess" and Murray Head's "One Night in Bangkok" from it you will get the idea.
If you would like to try something different than what is currently out there, on the charts or in the theater, you might want to check out a few of the samples that you can find on the official website for "Bombay Dreams".
Though I don't find every track flawless (I rarely do for any given album), I do think that it was certainly worth having it shipped to me in the US instead of having to wait for it to be released here. It's a refreshing change of pace.