Profile for C. Mason > Reviews

Content by C. Mason

C. Mason "chopstixdj" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Goonies / Gremlins / Gremlins 2: The New Batch [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Goonies / Gremlins / Gremlins 2: The New Batch [Blu-ray] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Josh Brolin
Offered by supermart_usa

5.0 out of 5 stars What more does one need to say..., 1 May 2014
Except CLEARLY THE BEST BLU RAY COLLECTION EVER RELEASED!

(though for some reason on my PS3 the discs are in Japanese - anyone else found this? it's fine cos my wife is Japanese, but It's just weird because there's no Japanese on any of the packaging...)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2014 8:00 PM BST

Venturing
Venturing
by Peter Burchard

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough but succinct., 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Venturing (Hardcover)
I happened upon this book in an Oxfam bookshop I volunteer at and since we don't get many sailing books, and this one wasn't in sellable condition, I took it home. I've just completed my RYA level 2 so I was familiar with the terminology. It wasn't as detailed as in demonstrating and illustrating all the rules and terms explicitly but in essence it covers all the things I learned in my RYA levels 1 and 2 and a whole lot more. The author has a glossary at the back of the book so knowing the lingo isn't necessary to read this book. In fact as the title implies, you don't need to have had anything to do with sailing to read it, and once finishing it though it won't prepare you for the many hours experience necessary to sail, it will tell you pretty much all the important things you need to know so that you have an overview of what's involved.
The book is written assuming the reader will procure their own boat and equipment and lists essentials, safety and danger, anchorage and 'rules of the road', how navigation works and even mentions design and maintenance of sails.

Though the book is written by an American I had no problem as an Englishman since the language is pretty much all the same for sailors speaking English. the fact that the book is from the eighties is no problem either since the basics of sailing dynamics and equipment haven't changed.

the author's prose is easy and enjoyable to read as the book is set in quite a large typeface. The author admits that he is a writer who sails rather than a sailor who writes and this shows in his attractive descriptions of the various environments and also the adventurousness sailing can offer.

A main feature of the book which must be pointed out is the heaps of lovely colour photographs, monochrome diagrams and also maps which explain the rudiments of navigation. There are even a few black and white photographs of essential knots - the figure 8 (a stopknot), reef knot, and a few hitches - the essential bowline is mentioned but not illustrated, and as the author recommends, it's a good idea to have a book on knots and to know the essential knots before you go anywhere on a boat. I'd recommend The Morrow Guide to Knots: For Sailing, Fishing, Camping, Climbing as I've used it and it has all the essentials and many more. The essentials (as taught by the RYA for level 1 and 2) are a cleat (which isn't really a knot but important to be able to do this efficiently), reef, round turn and two half hitches, rolling hitch (which is a clove hitch with an extra turn), figure 8, and a bowline. On top of that my favourites are the hunter's bend, fisherman's knot (both for tying two ends together), and an essential one for temporary mooring etc. would be the highwayman's knot. A sheet bend is another popular knot to know though may not be used as much as in the past.

To summarise, not a book for experienced sailors but for those who want to know ALL the essentials this will provide you with a vivid scope of what you're in for!

The Revolution of 2012: The Preparation: v. 1
The Revolution of 2012: The Preparation: v. 1
by Andrew Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm... Hmmmmm...., 26 April 2011
i've read this - when I was living in a squat in Brixton a neighbour lent me a copy which she was given by the author at the 'Eden Project'.

Quite good if you believe that 'higher' people are going to be sucked into the 5th dimension (what happened to the 4th? Is it 'time' - but since time doesn't exist shouldn't the 5th dimension be the 4th dimension???) in 2012 while those with lower vibration are going to stay in the normal dimension (this one?)

...but no good if you don't believe this.

I've given it two stars because I remember it being nicely written and at least there weren't any spelling or grammatical mistakes that are in so many books these days. Otherwise one star - and even that's being generous if you gauge this book by practical or factual details.

Hiroshige: prints and drawings
Hiroshige: prints and drawings
by Matthi FORRER

4.0 out of 5 stars An enviable catalogue of Hiroshige's work., 21 April 2011
For the reader who doesn't know, this is a catalogue of an exhibition of Hiroshige's work in 1997 at the Royal Academy on Piccadilly London. 250 pages makes it quite a collection and the vast majority of plates are reproduced in colour, and take up half of the book, usually with the colour plate on the right, and the title and description on the left page. You will not find the descriptions wanting, they have the title, what it was created for, which part of a series it was if it was in a series, the original size, the year if known, who owns the original today and a translation of any poetry which appears on them. At the beginning there are three essays to introduce the work, the artist and the era, running over the first 45 pages of the book, they are followed by a chronology of the artist's life and 2 maps, a map of Edo (Tokyo) circa 1843 and a map showing the Tokaido and Kisokaido roads along which Hiroshige designed many prints for the people who were unable to travel about in Japan's restrictive late Shogunate government (I don't know if this is the reason he designed them but I know they would have been a welcome sight to those people).

The exhibition, which I attended during my student years in 1997 was a wonderful sight, to see so many original works of this popular master's hand. The exhibition was one of two (I do not know if there were) Hiroshige exhibitions at the R.A., the previous being in 1979 which I remember for two reasons, one it was the year I was born and secondly I saw a (A1 or A0, can't remember) poster once on soemone's wall when I was a boy - it was a reproduction of a dramatic image of a snarling tiger - I'd very much like a copy of this poster if I ever happened upon it!
A worthwhile collection for anyone appreciative of Hiroshige's work.

Japanese Graphic Design
Japanese Graphic Design
by Richard S. Thornton

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful historical document, 21 April 2011
I had this book in university in the nineties when i was studying Graphic Design. I was an insufferable Japanophile and books like this were a huge influence on my work.

This is not simply a catalogue but a finely composed narrative of the major influences and work in Japan until the nineteen eighties (the book was published 1991). You might be looking for something a little more recent but don't dismiss this as 'retro' or 'out of date' as the editorial which is also rich (i.e. it's not just a bunch of images like many of the post-nineties design books) with penetrative reportage giving an insight into the subject and meaning of each section. there is as much text as there is imagery, and all the images are reproduced in full colour.

In the first chapter, called "Origins of design" we are introduced to calligraphy, monshu (family crests or logos) and to beautiful screens and paintings and to ukiyo-e (the woodblock prints) as well as learning about some of the major influences on the development of schools of design.

The second chapter '1900 - 1950' swiftly with bold illustrations introduces foreign influence on Japanese visual art and a large quantity of work resulting from that influence.

The third chapter explains that '1950 - 1960' was a period in which Japanese design received international recognition and includes one of my favorite pieces, a piece called "Trees" by Ryuchi Yamashiro.

Chapter 4, 1960-70 is called "The world comes to Japan" and documents 1960's Tokyo world design conference, the Olympic games and the expo in 1970 - and a lot more.

In chapter 5 1971-79 we return "Back to the origins" and investigate transport, the 1972 Olympic winter games, several of the era's illustrators and there is a two page spread on manga. This section documents design events in the 70s and has one of my very favorite posters, "Victory peace poster" by Shigeo Fukuda and also the impressive magazine advert for Pioneer by Gan Hosoya, which predated that hollywood film 'The Day After Tomorrow' I think it was called...

The book finishes off with style and a chapter entitled just "The eighties" as it depicts the minimal elegance of that decade (with a few soft focus photographs and garish colours of course!) This chapter contains Yusaka Kamekura's beautiful "Hiroshima Appeals" poster of 1983.

In total this is a unique book which belongs on the shelf, or more accurately open on a table being scrutinised, by any lover of Japanese art and history.

I have in fact, since I've not read it for years listed this here on Amazon. However I think I've just discouraged myself from selling it in the time I've written this review. Either that or I'll set it at a price too high for anyone to want to buy it from me : )

Thanks for reading.

Learning and Using Japanese Numbers
Learning and Using Japanese Numbers
by R. Lampkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Best language course I've used. (Comes with two audio casettes)., 20 April 2011
You'd think counting is tough in Japanese - and it is. I thought I'd never learn it and just have to fumble through knowing 1-10 and 'hyaku' (hundred) and 'man' (thousand). then I found this course in a bookshop and steadily going through the exercises I began to realise that I could get it and now I can count to a billion in Japanese! It's tricky at first, cos the Japanese don't do 'a hundred thousand' like we do, they go 'ten ten-thousands' - this is all the reason that if you want to master Japanese you need this book or an equivalent - you can't translate some of these high numbers from English anyway (maybe some other cultures use the same as Japan, then some cultures don't count at all but I digress)

The book has a great introduction but isn't like some books which just bore you with details or theory, it's almost entirely consisting of exercises which you follow along from the tapes. There are several exercises per chapter and there are quizzes which test you so you don't forget! Once you work through this book once you will know how to count to the highest number you can imagine in Japanese - once you complete it a few times you will have the confidence you need for any numerical situation.

Get this book if you want to master Japanese.

Takin Ova
Takin Ova

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hip hop instrumental of the 20th century, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: Takin Ova (MP3 Download)
I was introduced to this in 1998 by a Norwegian student. The album was "Beats Bonds Beliefs" and this track Takin Ova stood above the whole of the album.
For those who want the same as me, as I just needed the full instrumental, the track on this single called "Takin Ova" is, weirdly, the instrumental. I bought it with no hesitation though I have the original tracks on CD, MP3 and vinyl, I didn't have an instrumental of this legendary track.

R2k Version 1.0 [VINYL]
R2k Version 1.0 [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Seminal hip hop LP, 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: R2k Version 1.0 [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is the first hip hop LP I bought, it was in 1999. I got home spun it on my turntables and immediately I was not disappointed. The LP is worth is just for the 'Long Awaited' by Lootpack but it also has Planet Asia 'All of These Beats', Rasco 'Sophisticated Mic Pros' and Self Scientific's awesome 'Love Allah', all with cuts which sound as fresh today as when they were laid down. Rap and Turntablism at the height of its game with a tightness seldom surpassed.

Faith in the Age of Reason: The Enlightenment from Galileo to Kant (Lion Histories)
by Jonathan Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful introduction, or supplemental to the study of the philosophy of religion, 12 Jan 2010
I have to concur with the other reviewer Lambourne, that this is indeed a basic and not exhaustive introduction, but bust not be overlooked as a potential academic resource to familiarise the reader with this most essential period in our collective histories. As some of the most important developments in thought which are still with us today are treated within this small volume, it is indeed a benefit that the volume is concise, as it may be digested easily and comprehensively, before moving onto more in-depth studies of for example Decartes or Spinoza. Indeed it may be recommended that since the book crams in such a vast number of personalities and ideas, that it be re-read a few times amongst other more specific texts to maintain a good overview whilst delving into the details. A final note on one of the most delightful elements of the book, the colour illustrations of paintings and manuscripts and engravings enrichen a subject which is not well known for its visual dynamics, and give a sense of context as we get to see what certain individuals and their publications looked like.

Laputa: Castle In The Sky [DVD]
Laputa: Castle In The Sky [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest film EVER MADE, 16 Dec 2008
This is the best film ever made, period, regardless that it's animation in any genre, language, era, ever.
If there were an option where all films ceased to exist except one, this would have to be that one.
I'd like to write a long essay about it but everyone will have their own experience and reflection. Suffice to say that everyone who has any kind of regard or joy for storytelling needs this in some format whether it's book, DVD, tape, in their possession.

Page: 1 | 2