Profile for McK > Reviews

Evil Dead [Blu-ray] [2013]
Evil Dead [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Jane Levy

1.0 out of 5 stars Leave the classics alone, 21 Nov 2013
Didn't any one learn from the remake/prequel of The Thing? You can't make a multiplex friendly horror out of the classic horror films of 70's/80's. Why do producers of these films keep on insisting they are bring something new to the party.

There is a Doc on this Blu Ray were Bruce Campbell seem to do an about turn and go from saying it is not right to remake The Evil Dead to being all for it - I think quite a bit of money was involved, Sam Raimi was notable by his absence on said doc.

Back to film, to its credit there are some nice visual touches (mostly repeats of Raimi's work-with a bigger budget) and some good physical effects work. But there are major problems, what is the point of the prologue? It would have been nice if it had tied into the film in some way? (Who were the people in the prologue by the way? why were they in the basement of the two main characters parents cabin?) Incredibly boring main characters apart from Mia, no real tension or innovation but most of all where is the dark humour? The worst bit "The book of the Dead" is now like a plot device for driving the special effect along - no mystery to it at all.

The film descends into a tedious, predictable slasher movie with absolutely zero innovation and a terrible script.

Save your money for the same price of this disk you can buy the original trilogy blu ray. If it is of any help the picture on the blu ray is good but the Docs are a love in to the producers who almost seem to need justifying making this turkey, I think and hope that late at night they feel very guilty for being responsible for ruining the memory of the originals.

I really think it is time these remakes start to flop at the box office, all of them have been terrible (apart from maybe Dawn of the Dead) and all of them are soulless, loud, uninventive rubbish. Film/genre fans should expect and deserve more.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2013 5:44 PM GMT

American Horror Story - Season 1 [Blu-ray]
American Horror Story - Season 1 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Dylan McDermott

4.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional TV series, 5 Nov 2013
Enjoyed nearly all of this series, it is a little bit of a shame that it turned Beetlejuice in the final episode, was expecting a lot more.

In turns this series is amusing, scary and inventive and very much looking forward to season 2 and 3.

Would have been a five star series apart from that last episode but very few TV series have a great ending so still highly recommended.

The Abominable
The Abominable
by Dan Simmons

5.0 out of 5 stars This in not The Terror part 2, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Abominable (Hardcover)
There are many positive things to say about the The Abominable, however my main concern is the marketing carried out by the publisher. This book is not The Terror in The Himalaya it is something quite different.

I actually preferred this book to The Terror, the first 400 pages are an absorbing analysis of mountaineering in the 1920's, encompassing its history and techniques. It is truly remarkable the amount of excellent research Dan Simmons has put into this book and it is strong atmospheric material.

Where as the The Terror had a supernatural element to the novel for the beginning The Abominable is really a thriller (the last descent take in some supernatural elements), which brings me back to the marketing. If you are expecting a Horror novel like The Terror (as the cover would have you believe) be prepared for a long wait and 400 pages of mountaineering expedition first.

The characters are strong, the descriptions of climbing exhilarating and realistic and the action when it comes is tense. I found the pay off at the end rewarding despite the ridiculousness of Macguffin (The true Abominable of the title that Bromley is carrying on Everest) which was a little too out there, but once the book is completed it did make more sense. Although did not the Gene Hackman film Loose Cannons use the same plot device?

As noted by other reviewers there are some grammatical errors in the book, but there is a strongly likelihood that 99% of the reviews on amazon have grammatical errors including this one so I am not going to mark the book down because the proof reader made a mistake. I almost marked the book down for the marketing though, the sleeve notes are way off the mark.

This is great book to lose yourself in for a week, enjoying the rich atmosphere of mountaineering with a reasonable thriller added for the last 1/3 of the book to accompany the excellent descriptions of exploration and climbing on Everest.

Under the Dome
Under the Dome
by Stephen King

2.0 out of 5 stars 896 pages and that ending!, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Under the Dome (Paperback)
That is all I really need to say. This was the book I thought would reignite my interest in SK,I was wrong. Mr King you need to start drinking again, you have not written a good book since the late 80's.

Save your money buy something from Robert McCammon or Dan Simmons, they have improved with age unlike Mr King, such a shame as IT, The Shining and Salems Lot are classics.

I read it to the end, so it get's 2 stars but in some ways I wish I had not, my word that ending is bad. Really, really bad.

Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Chris Pine

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special - seen it all before, time for some new ideas please, 16 Oct 2013
I seem to have a problem with JJ Abrams as a director I somewhat enjoy his films when I am watching them yet by the time they have finished I instantly forget them. I don't know what it is but Star Trek, MI3 and STID have all had no impact at all and don't get me started on Lost. Nothing seems to resonant, the plots are limited and boring (despite the secrecy there is no major revelation moment), the cinematography is lens flare dull and the acting while passable is nothing brilliant.

Abrams films are almost as boring as the witty Amazon commenters who say you can't have seen many films as you don't like (insert film)or you don't have a valid opinion because your grammar/spelling is bad!

I can't really fault this film but likewise I cannot really compliment it either. It is nothing special, it is ok to look at and is watchable but is it in the same league as Wrath of Khan? Not even close.

Another empty soulless blockbuster, directed by committee for 12-25 year old males who I presume is the majority of people who posted 5 star reviews.

BluRay does what it is meant to, good picture quality and I could not be bothered to look at the Behind the Scenes as these type of films have no interesting journey to the screen as they have no substance or creativity applied to them.

Ghosts of Cape Sabine: The Harrowing True Story of the Greely Expedition
Ghosts of Cape Sabine: The Harrowing True Story of the Greely Expedition
by Leonard F. Guttridge

3.0 out of 5 stars Writing style lets down what is a horrific story and chain of events, 30 Sep 2013
This is the story of the Greely expedition who set out to establish a camp in the Arctic to establish a geographical observation post. Led by a rather unlikeable Greely they survived two years without relief and set records for reaching the most northern point in the Arctic.

The book explores the political and logistical mishaps of the relief expeditions and paints in quite horrific terms what the group of men did to survive.

However my concern is with the way the book is written, I think the author has relied far too heavily on the use of direct quotes from the diaries of those involved. This is a personal preference but I find this style a little lazy and makes for uneven reading.

Overall a fascinating story but reads like an extended A'Level history essay.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
by Terry Hayes

2.0 out of 5 stars Problems...Maybe Editorial (Spoilers ahead), 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Hardcover)
Large chunks of this book are fantastic, the first couple of hundred pages are tight and gripping and I thought I was in for a fantastic read. I was recommending the book to people and genuinely surprised by how good it was.

And then something happened about three hundred pages in that made me question the timeline of the book, I can only explain by means of a spoiler but I think it is only a minor spoiler.

The murder at the beginning of the book is explained as happening a year after 9/11, it is at this time Pilgrim is assigned his mission to track down the Saracen. So the Turkish mission starts in 2002. Which is fine, but why are they talking about smart phone (I had a brick of a Nokia at the time), implying Obama had been in Office and using Sat Navs and the like in 2002.

I presume this was an editorial problem, maybe there was an intention to avoid any mention Bush's administration and the falsified information about WMD's created by the US intelligence agencies. I would be interested if anybody else has picked this up (I have double checked and I think I am right but I am happy to be corrected) and does anybody have a reason for the error (if there is one).

However I read it to the end and I am going to say that the book falls well short of all the 5 star reviews, I cannot forgive sloppy contrived plots lines, where the time lines do not match and it should have been so easy to sort out in the editing process.

Also the bigotry toward Islam and islamic states is just not on and very ill informed.

One for the Charity shop I think....Where I am sure there will be a big pile of these next to the Dan Brown's and King's latest.

By the way if you are really interested in CIA and US intelligence operations I would suggest reading David Igantius's SIRO instead.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2014 9:37 AM GMT

A Good and Happy Child
A Good and Happy Child
by Justin Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad - some good ideas, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: A Good and Happy Child (Paperback)
There are some good ideas in the novel but it is more of a short story stretched out to be a novel. I liked some of the ambiguity and the ending was effective but as a whole it was a little underwhelming.

It is not creepy enough to be a horror novel and it is a little obvious with its Psycho-analytical babble (think The Exorcist meets The Man with Two Faces).

I read it to the end and I liked the conclusion, but it certainly could have been a novella or short story.

In all it is OK.

No Country For Old Men [DVD]
No Country For Old Men [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tommy Lee Jones
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Typical Coen Brothers, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: No Country For Old Men [DVD] (DVD)
They have not made a good film since Miller's Crossing, I do not understand what all the fuss was about,slow tedious and pretentious.

I am convinced that the Coen Brothers are the most over rated Directors in the history of Hollywood, this is just not a good or engaging film. It is certainly not a Oscar Best Picture.

iGadgitz Genuine Leather Flip Case Cover for Sony Walkman NWZ-E473 NWZ-E474 NWZ-E574 NWZ-E575 E Series Video MP3 Player 4gb 8gb 16gb (NWZ-E474B, NWZ-E574B, NWZ-E575B, NWZ-E473K) - Black
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars It covers the cheap looking Sony MP3 well, 18 July 2013
A solid cover that manages to improve the look of the rather sorry looking and cheaply made Sony MP3 player I bought. Offers excellent protection and perfect for use in the gym.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10