Profile for TMC > Reviews

An Acoustic Skunk Anansie - Live In London
An Acoustic Skunk Anansie - Live In London
Price: 10.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Power and Grace, 14 April 2014
I remember seeing Skunk Anansie in Nottingham in the 1990's. I was totally blown away by their performance and in particular the singer Skin. Over the years I have kept myself in touch with their releases and with the solo recordings of Skin. It was with a little trepidation that I bought this release, from past experience sometimes the change from electric to acoustic does not always work but in this case it does so on all levels. It has been a while since I have enjoyed playing and replaying an album as good as this. The musicianship is first class and the vocal performance from Skin is sublime. There are times when you really marvel at how note perfect she is and of the depth and passion she puts into her performance. The rest of the band are no slouches either, the arrangements of the songs all work extremely well. If you take a chance on buying an album in the near future then I urge you to buy this one you will not be disappointed.

The Martian
The Martian
by Andy Weir
Price: 6.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite enough, 14 April 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Hardcover)
Fast paced, full of technical information, but at the end of the day it lacked the human touch. Sure the main character had a sense of dark humor about his life threatening predicament but when the story ended I really didn't know anything much about him. There was no reflection upon his life on earth, his family, friends or loves past or present. I sometimes felt that he went from one disaster to the next in a sort of oh well here we go again shrug of the shoulders acceptance. I even found myself becoming nonchalant, knowing that he would quickly find a way to overcome his latest disaster and carry on with his journey to meet his rescuers. As I turned the end page I felt sadly cheated, it could have offered so much but on reflection it did not offer enough.

Disconnect
Disconnect
Price: 12.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Connected, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Disconnect (Audio CD)
I first became aware of John Wesley like many others through his work with Porcupine Tree. Indeed in the absence of Porcupine Tree (not dismissing Steve Wilson's solo work) I thought that I would take a chance on his new album in the hope that it might help fill the void left by their hiatus from the music scene. It has done so admirably. Whilst there are certain references and nods towards PT, the last track Satellite is a good example. The album as a whole is excellent. Wesley is more than a capable guitarist and shows great flair and creativity in his solos. The album is certainly guitar driven although at times this does seem to overwhelm the sound. Standout tracks are Disconnect, Once a Warrior (with a great guest solo from Alex Lifeson) and my favorite Mary which has a strange Bryan Adams guitar introduction to it. Overall it has made me want to search out his other solo work and if it is anywhere near the standard of this release then I will not be disappointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2014 9:44 AM BST

Demon
Demon
Price: 9.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Another quality release, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Demon (Audio CD)
I have followed with interest Gazpacho's releases since Tick Tock and have been constantly surprised by the quality of their music. Demon is an intricate interesting release. Not immediately accessible, but with constant plays it starts to reveal different levels. There is some beutiful musical interludes on this album. Dont expect raucus guitar solos's or wailing keyboards. However the musicians in Gazpacho often say more with a piano motif than some groups say with 10 minutes of instrument excesses. This album will grace the CD player for a long time to come and unfortunately will probably eclipse other recently purchased albums.

Original Album Series [5-Pack]
Original Album Series [5-Pack]
Price: 9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Before the big beards and beenie hats, 16 Jan 2014
I bought this set purely on the inclusion of some of the earlier cd's. In particular Fandango which is still in the Vinyl collection. Tre Hombres and Rio Grande Mud are excellant rock albums with Frank Beard showing a classy funky approach to his drumming which was largely ignored in the eighties period in favour of that awful drum sound which was so fasionable then. Deguello another Vinyl favourite is a trite subdued when played after Fandango but I still love "Cheap Sunglasses" and "Fool for your Stockings". Eliminator is radio friendly and probably signalled the end of my love for the band. For anyone wishing to hear classic ZZ Top buy this and play all the albums (except Eliminator) at full volume.

Clockwork Angels Tour
Clockwork Angels Tour
Price: 10.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Rushtastic, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Angels Tour (Audio CD)
I had read some reviews before being purchased the CD as a Christmas present. Being a life long Rush fan I was interested to see that some of the tracks were from Grace under pressure and Power Windows, two of my favourite Rush albums. To be honest I did not fall frothing at the mouth when I first heard Clockwork Angels or its predecessor Snakes and Arrows, I just did not enjoy the production. I do feel in recent years Rush have lost a little of the clever hook lines and melodies that their songs were often punctuated with. However, I do feel that this live collection captures the true essence of Rush in concert. The audio whilst occasionally cluttered is no where near as bad as some reviews have suggested. Overall Geddy's voice stands up fine. As for the musicianship, Rush never fail to entertain. Excellant band, good release.

Triple Album Collection
Triple Album Collection
Offered by Dirty Deals UK
Price: 9.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Classics but not what I thought it was, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: Triple Album Collection (Audio CD)
There is no doubt that this collection of three Alice Cooper discs are classics. I was slightly desperate to find something of a better quality to the original discs purchased sometime in the eighties but was disappointed to find that the sound quality was exactly the same. I have seen remastered versions of Love it to death, Killer and Schools Out but could not afford to pay the vast sum asked for them. Schools Out Japanese import was over a 100 pounds! I am still waiting for Alice's back catalogue to be given the old remaster treatment and perhaps one day they will at an affordable price. This triple collection from Rhino records? (there is a real lack of any information on the box or albums) was reasonably priced but arrived in a dull cardboard cover containing three equally poor quality sleeves. The music on each disc cannot be faulted but everything else about the presentation and lack of album information made me realise that this was a budget release and I should not expect great things for a budget price. Expectations were high but in the end I feel sadly let down. My fault nobody else's.