Profile for Jasper > Reviews

Telegraph Avenue
Telegraph Avenue
by Michael Chabon

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Chabon ever?, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Telegraph Avenue (Hardcover)
I'm usually a big Chabon fan, and I've read and loved everything he's written to date. I was so looking forward to Telegraph Avenue, but I'm half-way through this now and finding it an uninvolving slog. I can't seem to remember who any of the characters are because there are so many of them and they aren't drawn very clearly, the plotting is s-l-o-w, and the endless references to martial arts, black music and Americana leave me scratching my head and feeling alienated. I'll probably finish it because I'm that kind of a reader, but this might be the worst thing he's ever written and I'll definitely think twice before picking up his next novel.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Print, 26 Nov. 2012
This is a high-qualiity photo print, and it came very quickly. It was a gift and the recipient loved it. I may well buy some more of these of different covers, there's a really wide range and they're really lovely and great gifts.

Michael Jackson's Vision [DVD] [2010]
Michael Jackson's Vision [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Michael Jackson
Offered by A1-Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't use Amazon Prime for this item, 7 Dec. 2010
Despite saying available for next day delivery, Amazon have yet once again failed. Don't rely on Amazon for xmas/birthday presents you need for a certain date, they'll let you down every time, even when you have PAID EXTRA for Prime delivery. What a bunch of crooks!!!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2010 9:38 AM GMT

Death Note Volume 3 (Episodes 17-24) [2006] [DVD]
Death Note Volume 3 (Episodes 17-24) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tetsuro Araki
Offered by westworld-

1.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting ..., 11 Jan. 2010
Don't bother ordering this item here: You won't get it!
I've been waiting for a week for mine and I have Prime!
Best go somewhere else!

Death Note Volume 5 [DVD] Eps 29-37 [2006]
Death Note Volume 5 [DVD] Eps 29-37 [2006]
Dvd ~ Shusuke Kaneko
Offered by A2Z Entertains

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a chance!, 11 Jan. 2010
Don't bother ordering this item here: You won't get it!
I've been waiting for a week for mine and I have Prime! Best go somewhere else!

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Trilogy Book 2)
The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium Trilogy Book 2)
by Stieg Larsson

1.0 out of 5 stars You won't receive anything!, 11 Jan. 2010
Don't bother ordering this excellent item here: You won't get it!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2011 7:19 AM GMT

A Fraction Of The Whole
A Fraction Of The Whole
by Steve Toltz

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll never get it!, 11 Jan. 2010
Don't bother ordering this excellent item here: You won't get it!

Into the Wild
Into the Wild
by Jon Krakauer

1.0 out of 5 stars Arrogant and ignorant character makes for a boring, overstretched book, 21 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Into the Wild (Paperback)
This book is clearly an over-extended magazine article, and it suffers as a result. There's not enough here to fill the 200 pages without interviewing everyone McCandless ever met, and chapters and chapters of cases of similar young men with barely even any passing mention of McCandless himself.

If that weren't dull enough, there's also a problem with the subject itself. McCandless is shown as displaying a cavalier attitude to all those he comes into contact with and strikes me as selfish, irresponsible, arrogant and very limited in his worldview. Yet Krakhauer tries to make him a sort of hero, a pioneer, intimately connected to nature and the great American dream of striking out on one's own. I think if he'd have had any respect and understanding for/of nature and the elemental physical world, he would have been better prepared and not thought he could 'wing it' in Alaska.

The only thing that saves this book from being a complete disaster is that Krakhauer can actually write; it could have been so much worse.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2011 9:59 PM BST

Jeans: Big Bang Theory
Jeans: Big Bang Theory
by Martin Hannan

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse thing I've ever read, 13 May 2009
This review is from: Jeans: Big Bang Theory (Paperback)
This is a terrible book! Someone bought it for me, so I dutifully read it. Dull, predictable and poorly written, it felt much, much longer than it was. Unfortunately, not even big enough to get a good blaze going in the hearth.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2010 1:49 PM BST