Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "rinoa_s_l" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Littlest Dinosaur and the Naughty Rock (Bloomsbury Paperbacks)
The Littlest Dinosaur and the Naughty Rock (Bloomsbury Paperbacks)
by Camilla Reid

5.0 out of 5 stars A story that helps children understand their own behaviour in a fun style, definitely one for the bookshelf., 7 Nov. 2010
Not all rocks are rocks. This might sound like nonsense, but it isn't. How the little dinosaur reacts to being in a bad mood is normal for children. His family aren't impressed, and sends him off for a punishment. He isn't as lonely as he looks on the rock, for it isn't a rock at all. It is someone who is wise, who has lots of experience with younglings and one who The littlest dinosaur will listen to. Sometimes it isn't easy hearing something from a family member. Hearing it from a stranger helps to see things from a different point because the stranger is distanced from the issue. I loved the pastel effect of the illustrations. They are bright and cheery and welcoming to readers. Even when the littlest dinosaur was acting unreasonably, I smiled at how cute he looked.

DFC Library: Vern & Lettuce
DFC Library: Vern & Lettuce
by Sarah McIntyre

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read to bring a smile to your face - this bunny and sheep have a lot of fun together!, 7 Nov. 2010
When I saw the cover, I thought this would be a cute read. I love bunnies and collect items with bunnies on. Lettuce the bunny has such an entertaining time Vern. They get into so much trouble, sometimes on their own and sometimes because of Lettuce's brothers and sisters. Vern is a generous sheep, sometimes too generous - he gives up his warm, natural coat to create presents for Lettuce's family. He then cold, leaving Lettuce and her family to come up with a solution.

One of the great things about this book is how there is a story to each page (sometimes it continues onto the next page). This makes it a perfect read if readers have a short attention span or are pressed for time. Just one page will have the reader laughing away. (From what I can gather, each strip featured in The DFC weekly). Reoccurring characters include moles, polar bears, a squirrel, pigeons. Some of those are gangsters. Some are rebels. All are funny.

My So-Called Haunting
My So-Called Haunting
by Tamsyn Murray

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book for when you need cheering up., 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: My So-Called Haunting (Paperback)
I haven't read the previous book for several months, but that didn't matter. MSH uses the same world, but slightly different characters. Skye is hilarious. I beamed at the book as problem after problem stacked up in Skye's life. Her reaction to the problems and the way she thinks is similar to me. Mary is an extremely funny ghost. She isn't as mean as she sounds, and plays an important role later on. I enjoyed having Skye be uncomfortable with both people at school and ghosts.

Skye finds it a bit tricky dealing with Dontay because so that she looks sane, sometimes she has to ignore him (otherwise people would think there's something wrong with her). Naturally she doesn't like having an ability that makes her different to other people. To both my surprise and Skye's Aunt's, Skye learns to enjoy her psychic abilities, and feels she has a purpose. There are down sides to be a psychic, but there are some positive ones too.

What was really nice was how Jeremy from MSA is linked in Skye's life. I liked finding out what happened next to him, and how his encounter with Lucy changed him for the better. Although he does have a few annoying habits which Skye picks up on!

I really like this cover - it's effective, and reminds me of pink-highlighter. This in turn reminds me of Skye's character, bright and bubbly.

The Truth of the Matter: The Homelander Series
The Truth of the Matter: The Homelander Series
by Andrew Klavan

4.0 out of 5 stars For the most part a fast paced novel with an ending leaving the reader in suspense., 7 Nov. 2010
This says it's the third book, but don't worry, I understood it well enough without reading the previous two (although I think they fill in a lot of blanks). When I started the book, I absolutely loved it. It was fast paced, Charlie doesn't have a clue what's going on and he is in constant danger. I enjoyed the thrill as he was chased down, I wanted to know why people wanted to kill him. The description of his enemies made my spine shiver. Even when mysteries are unravelled, more pop up along the way. The style of the writing had me gripping my cushion tightly. Further into the novel, it felt a little flat. Not in a major way, not enough to stop me from wanting to read it again, but enough that I thought 'oh'. This could be because when I when a book like this I have expectations that the stakes will get higher, the plot will get twistier, and it didn't happen for this book. The book did pick up again at the end - I sincerely hope there are more books because it ends on a mini-cliff hanger, with Charlie not really any better off.

The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight
The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight
by Jenny Valentine

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure who was shocked more by the twists, Cassiel or myself!, 7 Nov. 2010
I was intrigued why the teen would choose to be Cassiel. The reason is actually logical. He looks like him, and wants to be loved. Who wouldn't want that? The problem with pretending to be someone else, is that he doesn't know why people treat him the way they do. He tries to get answers, to find out more about Cassiel's life. That proves problematic until he bumps into someone Cassiel knew. When he does, he unearths a life which was full of dark secrets, secrets which will forever change his life. They are secrets which will put him in danger, which will potentially put others in danger. Living someone's life without knowing what they were like is a pretty big decision to make. Cassiel (not Cassiel!) has to live with the expectation that he will be found out at every turn. Cassiel's mother may be pleased to see him, but the rest of the family aren't as excited, as Cassiel/not Cassiel finds out. The ending had me blinking several times at how the clues had been well hidden in the story.

Personal Demons
Personal Demons
by Lisa DesRochers

4.0 out of 5 stars When in contact with good, evil can change sides., 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Personal Demons (Paperback)
For the first 114 pages (precisely) I felt this was an ok book. There was nothing in particular that blew my mind away, both good and evil forces wanted Frannie for their side. Now, Lynsey of UK Book Tours loved it, so I asked her if it got more exciting. She said yes, so I read on. I'm really glad I did, because the revelation why Frannie is desirable to both sides was pretty cool. At the moment I became more interested in the story. It still wasn't a book what made me go WOW, but it is a fun read. Initially I wasn't keen on having the other point of view be from Luc's side (he's evil!) but, as time went on and the story unravelled it made sense to see his view of everything more than Gabe's. I liked the rivalry between the two of them - it was clear that neither liked the other, but both ended up being ready to sacrifice themselves for Frannie. I felt that the deal with Frannie's family was still a bit of a muddle at the end, I didn't quite understand exactly why family acted as they did with Luc, but I was cheering at certain points when they got him out the house. Frannie is definitely a little rebel, with an awful lot weighing down on her shoulders. I've found out it is part of a series, which explains why it feels that Frannie's adventures aren't over, and there's a lot more to explore in the concepts.

Almost True
Almost True
by Keren David

5.0 out of 5 stars Another thrilling installment in Ty's life - possibly the one where he grows up the most., 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Almost True (Paperback)
Almost True starts from When I Was Joe ended. Ty still hasn't had the trial yet. He still isn't telling all of the truth to the police, to his friends, to anyone. He doesn't lie. He just doesn't spill all the beans. He has good reasons for it - reasons he can justify. However, As the trial goes on, the stakes get higher. More people in his life are injured. Not necessarily physically, the hurt can be mental too. I think in this book Ty buckles under the stress. The decisions he makes about situations are not thought through properly. He reacts first, thinks later. This has repercussions which improve him as a character. By making mistakes he learns what to do in the future. When I sat down and thought about it, he had a lot going on. All aspects of his life are affected: his family life in a big way (not all to do with the trial), his friends (not all is well with Claire), his emotions (they are all over the place). There are times when I want someone to give him a hug. He does get them at the crucial moments. His emotions get thrown out in the open. I think this is a good release for him, because he does bottle things up which isn't good for his body. Amongst all the danger and teen angst, a few friendships are formed with unlikely people, which give Ty something stable in his crazy life.

Spy Glass (Glass Trilogy)
Spy Glass (Glass Trilogy)
by Maria V. Snyder

5.0 out of 5 stars Maria's work continues to impress me, 7 Nov. 2010
This is the third book in the series evolving around Opal, and I can safely say the danger and drama that she endures is three times more daunting (and dangerous) than when we first met her in Yelena's life. She feels so empty without her magic ability, which people don't understand. She also shuts people out a bit. I understand why she does this, but she is a bit dense and should tell people more about her life. I related to her so easily for all that she suffers. She hates feeling useless, not being able to help as she once did. She feels a bit smothered at home - at least until she annoys her mother, who is a real force to be reckoned with. Put her mother against her enemies, and I think her mother would win through sheer stubbornness. Although her mother doesn't have the power her enemies have. I thought that what Yelena suffered was awful, and Opal's suffering in books 1-2 (and in Yelena's study series) was dire. This book tops them all for suffering. I was so frightened for Opal. It was so bad that I was tempted to peek at the end. Thankfully friends on Twitter convinced me not to. I'm glad I didn't because the ending was a huge surprise. I was a little annoyed that Opal was still undecided who she loved best. And yes I was disappointed with the end on that front - but I understand why she chose who she did. I nearly wept for joy when Opal has a connection with magic again - it does happen a lot later on though. For this reason, and the people who enter Opal's life, I'm hoping there will be more stories involving Opal.

I adored the way characters from Yelena's life play a part in Opal's - although I didn't know what would happen next it was like returning home in this book. I love Valek, Janco, Ari - it was great to see him still play an important role in the story. Yes, Yelena plays a part too. I perhaps would have liked to see more of the other magicians, and perhaps expected more to happen with the magician's council, but apart from that this book was stunning, surprising, and a wonderful read. I look forward to re-reading it already.

Three By the Sea
Three By the Sea
by Mini Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Bonds of true friendship can never be broken permanently, 7 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Three By the Sea (Hardcover)
Before the stranger arrives, the story explains how peacefully the friends lived, how they all had their own roles in the household chores. Then the salesman appears. Personally the dog, cat and mouse are a little dense - who on earth lets a random stranger sleep in their house? (I do normally suspend my belief, but sometimes practical thoughts come into mind). I think that the salesman was very pushy, an outward personality who wouldn't take no for an answer. He doesn't work on disrupting the friendship immediately - naturally the animals would treat with him suspicion. So when the friends are tired, the evil stranger makes remark about what they all do - remarks which coupled with feeling uncomfortable from poor sleep sets the friends against each other. A near tragedy pulls them all together again, and they send the salesman packing. They learn there was nothing wrong in how they lived their lives, but they make small adjustments which keep everyone smiling. I feel there's a good message in this book, it shows that criticism is healthy for us and we can improve by heeding it and making small changes to our lives. The illustrations brought the story to live (and made me want cheese fondue!) The mouse is my favourite character. I would like the cat....but I have strong dislike for black cats stemming from nightmares about them.

Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
Some Girls Bite: A Chicagoland Vampires Novel (Chicagoland Vampires Series)
by Chloe Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another vampire story, one so full of twists and humour that you're either laughing or looking perplexed., 7 Nov. 2010
I love Merit. I don't necessarily approve of all that she does (sometimes she's a bit rash), but her voice is funny. We share the same kind of humour. She appears fearless at times, which can get her into trouble in the vampire world. I like it that she makes mistakes, and just wades in without assessing the situation. I like it how her family are quite involved with her new life - she isn't instantly separated from them just because she has been made a vampire. I love all the hierarchy of the houses in this novel, and the role that Merit comes to play in it. All the characters she meets have strong personalities. Her own friend, Mallory plays a huge role in the story. There are a few twists with Mallory, but the most important thing is that Mallory is always there for Merit. She doesn't let Merit down. She makes sure Merit drinks blood, even if she doesn't want to. She adapts the house they share for Merit's new needs. She even gives Merit fashion advice. There were a lot of moments where the actions of people around Merit touched my heart and made me reach for a tissue. She rubs some vampires (and other people) up the wrong way. This book is full of everything I love in a book - action, humour, suspense and friendship. I wholeheartedly recommend it for a read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11