Profile for C. Smith > Reviews

Content by C. Smith

C. Smith (UK)

Skulls Designer Ankle Socks by SoxMad. Short Socks, Sports Socks, Trainer Liners, Cotton Socks
Offered by SoxMad
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, 1 Jan 2014
Bought these as a bit of fun as I liked the skulls. Good design, well made and nice and comfy. And that's the problem: my wife liked them so much that she has taken them off me so she can wear them.

As a nice touch, I even received a personal email from SoxMad themselves thanking me for the purchase. Recommended.

Dualit 88650 3.25 Litre Food Processor, Chrome
Dualit 88650 3.25 Litre Food Processor, Chrome
Price: 225.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, robust but with some shortcomings, 29 Dec 2012
I've had the XL1500 for 5 months...

Pros:
Generally seems well built and so hopeful it will last a while, especially as it's not cheap.
Auto-Pulse is great feature and it has plenty of power. Good at general mixing and chopping, especially good for cake mixtures. The emulsifying disk is great for mayonnaise and such, working much better than I thought it would. The adjustable width chopping tool works really well. Noisy but happy with that as it lets everyone know I'm busy in the kitchen! Easy to clean and having a box for all the bits is great (albeit it's difficult to close the lid as some tool will keep falling to one side).

Cons:
The manual make a big point - mentioned on multiple pages - that the maximum time you can run the machine for is 45 seconds. Had I read the manual before purchasing, I would not have done so. For most things this is not an issue but some operations require it. I thought it had a 'professional grade' motor? I also have a Dualit hand mixer which is great except for a similar 30 sec maximum running time, which makes it even worse. This is the best bit: recipes on the Dualit site itself state you run the machines for longer than this maximum, e.g. Quick and Easy Loaf states for mixing that 'this should take approximately 2 minutes'. The response from Dualit was "We advise to use it for 45 seconds at a time. If used continuously for long periods of time it may cause damage to the machine. We apologise for any inconvenience." Which is not much help. How can they suggest you use the machine in a way that would invalidate your guarantee? It feels like Dualit could just use this as a get-out-of-jail card for any guarantee claims.

It comes with suckers; these are in fact essential as the start is vicious and it would soon work its way off the worktop. I find it odd that there is no slower, gentler speed option.

The Julienne disc is a disappointment (it was one of the reasons I chose the Dualit): it tends to tear rather than chop, so the resulting food is processed into short, rough lengths (certainly with carrots).

This may be a problem common to all processors: no matter which method I try I can't get everything to chop or grate: there are always bits that stay above the disk or fall past un-chopped. Very annoying having to manually chop these last bits.

Mixing pastry is not too good - the butter doesn't get fully mixed - and my various attempts as making bread dough have been poor (I've gone back to doing it by hand).

The smaller bowls allow stuff to fall into the lower, large ones so you end up having to wash the unused ones too. This is annoying if you only want to process a small amount of food.

On the whole happy with it but I think an equivalent Magimix may have been a better choice.

CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
CSS: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Sawyer McFarland

5.0 out of 5 stars Top book, 27 Feb 2007
I read this after having some experience of CSS, mostly picked-up 'on the job' as needed. This book gave me a good insight into why CSS based sites are a good idea. There are loads of internet links as you read so I found I needed a laptop available. I also found the tutorials good; not too lengthy and just enough assumed knowledge. Highly recommended.