Profile for Mrs. T. Stephens > Reviews

Content by Mrs. T. Stephens

Mrs. T. Stephens (Cambridge, Cambs United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Womens chocolate brown Full Length Plain Stretch Leggings (10)
Womens chocolate brown Full Length Plain Stretch Leggings (10)
Offered by janisramone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 26 Nov 2014
I don't generally like ordering clothes online, but was having difficulty finding brown in the shops. Picked these ones because of previous reviews. They arrived today and I must admit to being pleasantly surprised with the quality, better than the more expensive supermarket ones I had previously purchased and discarded as the cat had made holes in them! They are a generous fit, so if in doubt, go for the smaller of the two sizes considered. The colour is very good and I would definitely recommend them.

The Island Hideaway
The Island Hideaway

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment from an author who has since written better, 24 July 2014
I bought this as I have read and enjoyed several of her previous books. I didn't realise it was a republished version of her first book until after I bought it, but on reading it, it shows. The story idea was a good one, but it never really fulfilled it's potential. There were several other sideline stories with fellow guests in the hotel, which were also never fully developed and I spent the whole book waiting for something significant to happen. When the main dramatic event arrived, even that was a damp squib and the ending was a lame anti-climax, even if it wasn't the predictable one I was expecting by then! Could have done with rewriting rather than reworking in my opinion. If this is your first time reading this author, don't give up, and if you haven't read it yet, I suggest you read another of hers first.

Safe with Me
Safe with Me
by Amy Hatvany

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Safe with Me (Paperback)
Have now read all of Amy Hatvany's books and am sad that I will have to wait until a new one comes out. I read this book in an afternoon, I just didn't want to stop reading. Her writing style is so flowing, and her characters very believable, and her subject matter so thought provoking that you just want to devour the book. Chick-lit it is definitely not, but once you have read one of her books, you will want to read them all. Perfect reading for a book group too, would recommend this, or any of her previous books to anyone who enjoys women's contemporary fiction.

Reconstructing Amelia
Reconstructing Amelia
by Kimberly McCreight

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing first novel, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Reconstructing Amelia (Paperback)
Just finished reading this and had to write to say what a fantastic read it is. Well written and easy to read, it draws you in and is hard to put down. A very scary read, especially for a parent and it doesn't pull any punches. I found it hard to believe it was a first novel and will definitely be looking out for the next one.

Undressing the Moon
Undressing the Moon
by T. Greenwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Undressing the Moon (Paperback)
I found this author for the first time whilst browsing in the magnificent Powells bookstore in Portland, and thought it looked interesting. It is so wonderful when you discover a new new author who just hits all your buttons! Her storylines are gripping and her writing style is very descriptive and poetic and once you start you just can't put it down. I read it in an afternoon, am now reading Two Rivers and have ordered another 5 of her backlist and can't wait for them to arrive! Chick lit it is definitely not, but if you enjoy a well written story with characters you can engage with, then this writer is definitely for you. This book tackles not just the struggles of someone going through the pain of breast cancer, but also family relationships and growing up within dysfunctional families. Heavy stuff, but the narrative just flows and draws you in. Can't wait to read some more of her work.

Never Say Goodbye
Never Say Goodbye
by Linda Kavanagh

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting better each book, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Never Say Goodbye (Paperback)
I bought the Linda Kavanagh novels because they were likened to Jodi Picoult and the covers are reminiscent of Diane Chamberlain, two of my favourite authors. I am reading them in order, and so far this is the best of the bunch, although nowhere in the league of the aforementioned authors. Her storylines are very good, but the first three novels were in a fairly stilted writing style and I found the dialogue style particularly unrealistic. This one seems to show a new maturity in writing style, although I do agree with a previous reviewer that her characters tend to be very one dimensional. Hopefully the next one I have to left to read, Still Waters, will have improved even more.

Necessary Lies
Necessary Lies
by Diane Chamberlain

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another great book, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Necessary Lies (Paperback)
I have all Diane Chamberlain's books, but I almost didn't buy this one because it isn't the sort of storyline that usually appeals to me, but I am so glad I did. I read it in one afternoon, I just couldn't put it down. Her writing style always appeals to me, and her stories are never rehashes of the same old thing like some other authors. I do disagree with the other reviewer who mentioned not liking the comparison to Jodi Picoult. I actually discovered Jodi first, and only picked up my first Diane Chamberlain book because the blurb on the cover suggest it was in the similar style. I find I have found a few new authors in this way, so think it is a good thing. Mind you, I think recently Diane is better than Jodi, as I think her books have just got better and better, whilst I haven't liked Jodi's last two or three quite as much as her earlier ones. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone, and have just bought the prequel short story on my Kindle to read.

Blue Cats & Butterflies 2014 Diary Midi (Horizontal)
Blue Cats & Butterflies 2014 Diary Midi (Horizontal)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous item, 29 Aug 2013
I would not normally spend this much on a diary, but I am obsessed with cats, and love Laurel Burch ( I have six of her cat bags!). It arrived today and it is a truly stunning item. It is so beautiful and the colours are amazing, the picture just can't do it justice! It is also a perfect size, not as small as a pocket diary, but not too cumbersome. I just wish it was a Filofax type thing that you could refill to use again next year as I won't want to part with it at the end of 2014!!!!

A Court Affair
A Court Affair
by Emily Purdy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: A Court Affair (Paperback)
I thought this was the best of Emily Purdy's books so far. I have read many Tudor novels, and several featuring Amy Robsart/Dudley, but this was the first set from her point of view and I thought it was done well. I think the only negative I would say is that it could have been a bit shorter,it was a bit long winded in places. Having just come through treatment for breast cancer,it also made me very grateful that I live in these times and not then!!!! Would definitely recommend it.

The Decision
The Decision
by Penny Vincenzi

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok read, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Decision (Hardcover)
I have all Penny VIncenzi's books, and was pleased when this one came out as it had been a while since the last one. It was an ok read, not what I would have called a page turner. The main problem was that it was about 300 pages too long, I don't know if it is because all her previous books are weighty and so she feels she must continue in that vein, but the quality is far more important then quantity. I also found Eliza's complete capitulation to her husband slightly unbelievable, perhaps if the book had been set slightly earlier it might have been more realistic. Not sure if I will bother to buy the next book that comes out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3