Profile for M. E. Cole > Reviews

Love the One You're With
Love the One You're With
by Emily Giffin

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but a little predictable, 10 Nov. 2010
Great easy read. The author does a fantastic job passionately describing New York (and why the lead character loves it so much) and the relationships between the (very believable and likable) characters.

Great read that kept me interested despite being a little predictable.

Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
Handmade Home: Simple Ways to Repurpose Old Materials into New Family Treasures
by Amanda Blake Soule

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing inspiring that I'd actually like to make or have in my home, 5 Aug. 2010
I love the idea of this book and applaud Amanda for encouraging people to recycle and use their skills to create something new and imaginative out of old, redundant items but I was dissapointed that there was nothing in the book that I wanted to make or have in my home.

Some of the items are just a little too wierd for me (adding pockets to a blanket and hanging from a branch on your wall? - Why??) and I certainly haven't got the time or inclination to make sanitary pads!!?

All in all, a little dissapointing.

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
by Rebecca Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Little disspointing, 13 July 2010
This book has been described as 'hugely enjoyable', 'uplifting' - even 'extraordinary'...I think I may have missed something. It was OK, but I won't be recommending it to friends.

Pippa is a little unbelievable and while I felt pity for her it wasn't because I liked her or thought she'd had a terrible upbringing (she obviously thought so), it was more because she was bitter about her past and seems unable to move on or prevent herself walking into trouble at every opportunity.

The ending was odd and very unbelievable and left me wondering just how much she cared for her husband at all. I didn't particularly enjoy reading this book and finished it feeling rather dissapointed.

1: The Carbon Diaries 2015
1: The Carbon Diaries 2015
by Saci Lloyd

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but I struggled to keep interest in parts., 4 July 2010
It is 2015 and in an effort to reduce the effects of global warming, carbon rationing as been introduced. This book follows the story of teenage Laura as she and her family struggle to deal with the effect that this has on all their lives.

Parts of this book were enjoyable and easy to read but I then in other parts I found myself losing interest and struggling to keep going. The diary format of the book did make it easy to read but sometimes I stuggled to read the 'newspaper clippings' that had been included as the text was so small! (Maybe that is just me and I perhaps need an eye test!)

This is quite an original plot so I would like to have given a higher rating and perhaps I am being a little harsh as this is aimed at teens and not 30yr olds with failing eyesight like myself!

Whatever Makes You Happy
Whatever Makes You Happy
by William Sutcliffe

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - really enjoyable., 4 July 2010
I loved this book. While I thought the plot sounded farfetched from the blurb, when explained in the book it sounded much more plausable.

Although I'm not a 30-something male or mother of one, there were lots of identifible moments in this book that I recognised from my own relationship with my mother and I found myself laughing out loud on several occasions and reading outloud passages of text to my husband. Parts of the book are moving with some sad and tender moments but on the whole I found this very funny and would have consumed it in one sitting if I'd had the opportunity to do so.

The greatest part(s) of the book is the author's witty and believable dialogue. My only critism would be that quite a lot of time is spend dwelling on the past of one of the character's, otherwise I did really love this book and will be looking out for Sutcliffe's other titles.

The Bridesmaid Pact
The Bridesmaid Pact
by Julia Williams

1.0 out of 5 stars Only continued reading as stuck in a caravan with no alternative, 4 July 2010
This review is from: The Bridesmaid Pact (Paperback)
I liked the idea of this book and thought it sounded like a great, lighthearted holiday read. A few chapters in and I nearly gave up reading but stuck with it as I was in a caravan with no alternative reading material!

The story follows four childhood friends who (you guessed it) make a pact to be each others bridesmaids. They grow up, drift apart, fall out etc. but still one of them is determined she is going to keep the pact. Why?? Each of the women has their own troubles and drama going on with their lives but I found myself not really caring what happened to any of them as none of the characters were believable, let alone likeable.

This book tries to deal with too many big issues such as death, terminal illness, infertility, adultery. It is too much for one book and where I suspect there is supposed to be mystery and intrigue there is none - it is easy to guess what the character has done in their past so why drag it out? I also disliked the fact that there were so many secrets in the book between women who were supposedly 'friends'. Why would you not tell your friends that your marriage was in trouble / that you were ill / that you wanted a baby? Isn't that what friends do? Instead there were pages and pages of dialogue that didn't lead anywhere!

I have two questions:
1. what grown woman would want a 'Disney' themed wedding??
2. Why would anyone find it funny that their friends had arrived at their parent's funeral with their hair in comedy hairstyles??

The Dead of Summer
The Dead of Summer
by Camilla Way

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 4 July 2010
This review is from: The Dead of Summer (Paperback)
A gripping and enjoyable (though shocking) read that had me hooked from the first line. The characters are realistic and the dialogue believable but most impressive is the author's ability to set the scene of a hot summer in the 1980's so easily and describe areas of London so well without too much description to distract from the plot.

This is a great read that I would highly recommend.

Monkey Puzzle
Monkey Puzzle
by Julia Donaldson

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book - best of Julia Donaldson's, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Monkey Puzzle (Paperback)
Love this book - best of Julia Donaldson's, although we may have overdone it recently and my 2YO is getting a little bored. We have read and reread it though almost every night for about a month, so pretty good going i think!

Lovely rythming text that children can join in with. Definately recommend.

Penguin
Penguin
by Polly Dunbar

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice illustrations, 2 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Penguin (Paperback)
My 2YO likes to pretend to be Ben (pulling faces, dizzy dance etc)and joins in with the 'penguin said nothing'. Bit short but nice illustrations.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3