Profile for M. E. Cole > Reviews

Good Little Wolf
Good Little Wolf
by Nadia Shireen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great twist!, 31 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Good Little Wolf (Paperback)
My son (3) and daughter (6) love this book - and me too! What a twist! My daughter said 'Well I wasn't expecting that!'

Short but not so sweet! A great bedtime read-highly recommend.

The Testament of Jessie Lamb
The Testament of Jessie Lamb
by Jane Rogers

3.0 out of 5 stars Simplistic and rushed., 3 Nov. 2013
A promising start and great idea but far too simplistic. Explanations are vague and ideas are rushed through.

Despite being discussed on BBC radio 4 womans hour, this is clearly a book that is aimed at teens and young adults (though I didnt realise this when I bought it ), so being in my early (ahem) thirties i am perhaps not in the intended target readership.

The book is written from the point of view of head-strong and impulsive, 16yo Jessie who I unfortunately couldnt warm to so ultimately didn't really care what happened.

Disappointing.

Rosie Revere, Engineer
Rosie Revere, Engineer
by Andrea Beaty

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book!, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Rosie Revere, Engineer (Hardcover)
Iggy Peck was a cool little kid and a pretty talented architect to boot, Rosie Revere would have a lot to live up to. And she does not disappoint. This is a lovely little tale that tells a strong message i.e it is better to try and fail, than to never try at all.

Rosie is fascinated by the very male dominated world of engineering and is encouraged by her Grandmother- finally female lead characters that are not princesses! Hoorah!

Like Iggy Peck (which i also highly recommend), this book is full of colouful and quirky illustrations. Every child (especially little girls) should have a copy of this book on their shelves.

The Making of Us
The Making of Us
by Lisa Jewell

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but nothing special., 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Making of Us (Paperback)
A little surprised to see so many five stars. This was OK but nothing special. In particular, the chapters about Lydia really dragged-wow! That woman is miserable! However, this is a light easy-read where everything comes together in a neat conclusion so read if you like that kind of thing.

The Forgotten Waltz
The Forgotten Waltz
by Anne Enright

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Forgotten Waltz (Paperback)
Just a bit dull to be honest. I was a little embarrassed to be the one responsible for selecting it at our book group-it wasn't well received and as nothing really happened there was little to discuss! On the plus side, its a short book!

William's Progress
William's Progress
by Matt Rudd

3.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves., 17 April 2013
This review is from: William's Progress (Paperback)
New parents will find the first half of this book a light-hearted, funny read, as it tells the tale of a young man coming to terms with the arrival of his son. The new Dad's observations tales of are amusing and accurate. At times this book is sensitive and touching, more often it is comical - providing you suspend disbelief.

Sadly the second half of this book does not compare with the first. The plot becomes ludicrous and the laughs dry up. However, the diary style of the book means it is easy to read and I continued reading as I was intrigued to see how everything would be resolved.

Whilst I wouldn't be put off reading more by Matt Rudd, I'd hope for more along the lines of the first half than the second.

Making a House Your Home: The Essential Guide to Modern Day Homemaking
Making a House Your Home: The Essential Guide to Modern Day Homemaking
by Clare Nolan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book i will keep referring back to., 13 Feb. 2013
Beautiful book full of useful, practical ideas. Gorgeous, inspiring photos teamed with advice and useful tips. A lovely interiors book I will enjoy revisiting.

All Fall Down
All Fall Down
by Sally Nicholls

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, informative and touching., 19 Nov. 2012
This review is from: All Fall Down (Paperback)
I rarely give 5 stars to anything but I can't fault Sally Nicholl's All Fall Down. Although I suspect the book is aimed at teens, adults should not be put off. All Fall Down was compelling, fast paced, informative, touching... At times it was hard to put down, and was one of those books that I found myself thinking about long after completing.

There is a glossary at the end which was a little unnecessary, I think most readers would be able to deduce the meaning of an unfamiliar term without the glossary (I only discovered it at the end).

A fascinating read. Definately recommend!

First Numbers Age 3-4 (Letts Fun Learning)
First Numbers Age 3-4 (Letts Fun Learning)
by Various

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction to numbers for 3 yr olds, 4 Sept. 2012
Perfect introduction to numbers. Its a pity it isn't in colour but my 3 year old really enjoyed doing the activities.

Would definately recommend.

Case Histories: (Jackson Brodie)
Case Histories: (Jackson Brodie)
by Kate Atkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read, 4 Sept. 2012
This is the first book I've read of Atkinson's and having read 'Case Histories', I would certainly read more. The opening page had me gripped (though admittedly my interest did wan slightly in places).

The characters were likeable (I particularly liked Theo) and when we meet the main character, Brodie, he is sat in his car listening to Womanshour. I loved him from the start! He is a wellrounded, lovable character. However, I did have a couple of minor gripes, firstly, I didn't believe he would sleep with one of his clients. Secondly, besides having a garden which ended up being a rather important scene, I really didn't see the point of the 'cat lady' Otherwise, an entertaining read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3