Profile for richard sinnett > Reviews

Content by richard sinnett

richard sinnett

Toshiba DVR20 Digital DVD Recorder and VCR with Freeview  (discontinued by manufacturer)
Toshiba DVR20 Digital DVD Recorder and VCR with Freeview (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Tech Nuts

1.0 out of 5 stars twice bitten, twice returned.., 30 Sep 2010
Extraordinary as it sounds, what appeared to be a well-regarded and reviewed item turned out to be a huge disappointment that cost me a good deal of time and trouble. It was only the super-fast efficiency of the Amazon returns system that saved the day, as I had to return my DVR20 TWICE. On the first occasion, all seemed well until I tried the VHS tape part of the machine, only to find that the eject mechanism didn't work, and despite whirring noises, kept my tape prisoner. It took considerable ingenuity to get it out again. I tried it with several different tapes to make sure it wasn't the tape itself that was the problem, but the same thing happened over again. I returned the machine, pretty disgruntled, and had a replacement sent out (very promptly, I might add). It was with disbelief that I found exactly the same fault with the new machine..a faulty tape eject mechanism!!By now I was really cheesed-off with all the messing about and hassle with a brand new product.I returned it again, this time asking for a refund, which again Amazon dealt with very promptly, thank God.
My question remains...how can a reputable manufacturer of supposed quality electronics put stuff on to the market that has clearly failed to be checked? Two machines with a fundamental repeated fault suggests Toshiba should have a close look at their quality control! I for one will not be touching a Toshiba appliance again..
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2014 3:20 PM BST

Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 2 [DVD]
Mighty Boosh : Complete BBC Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Noel Fielding

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boosh masterpiece evolves.........., 14 Feb 2006
Those of us who dipped a cautious toe into the new comedy experience of The Boosh, series 1,grew to appreciate one of the most delightful,richly-woven and original pieces of work in recent times.And now, with the release of series 2, many will fall upon this with deserved relish.It was bound to take a little while to establish such a curious and novel format - the hilarious dynamics of Howard and Vince's relationship, the peculiar,inexplicable characters who populate this strange world (Naboo, Bollo, etc..), and the exagerated colours of their strange,stylised landscapes,as if Rousseau had been asked to design a 60's Startrek set.
We have learned to love these characters...they are consistent, confident creations of wonderfully fertile minds. They are architypes( Howard's complicated,sad jazz geek, Vince's vacuous optimist) whose flawed human failings in their daily lives of under-achievement are resolved by entering a fantastic parallel world where they are empowered to put things right again. Favourite episode - 'The New Music'...primal desert landscape, Rudi's 'door of kukundo', rabbit blowing a plaintive tijuana trumpet,the Betamax monster...and 'put those fiery biscuits away'.What more could you ask for? Masterful! What 'stuff' one has to be on to to create the likes of Naboo, a silky-sleeved dwarf shaman living in suburbia, or Bollo, a grumpy DJ-ing gorilla, I dont know! But it is bringing huge enjoyment to an increasingly appreciative and swelling audience.
So...I just hope the release of this splendid 2nd series will remind BBC3 that a third series of Boosh must be commissioned, and thus secure their growing reputation for sponsoring cutting-edge humour on British television.