ARRAY(0xa7210804)

Husbands
Husbands
by Adele Parks

5.0 out of 5 stars Adele Park's best book., 8 Mar 2009
This review is from: Husbands (Paperback)
A fantastic gripping plot. Although it is completely unrealistic, I got drawn into the main character's dilema and couldn't put it down.

I've been a fan of Adele Parks for some time, so I've read most of her books and have enjoyed almost all of them. In my opinion, this is her best book.

Out of my Depth
Out of my Depth
by Emily Barr
Price: 7.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 8 Mar 2009
This review is from: Out of my Depth (Paperback)
A fab book. I finished it in just a few sittings. I'm no stranger to Emily Barr`s books, and I have enjoyed almost all of them with the exception of "Atlantic Shift" which I found disappointing.

I loved the themes running through the book and the characters were all well developed and believeable.

I really liked the unresolved nature of the ending and found it both realistic and left a lot to the imagination. Great stuff Emily, can't wait to read the next one.

Project Everlasting: Two Bachelors Discover the Secrets of America's Greatest Marriages
by Mathew Boggs
Price: 9.15

3.0 out of 5 stars A little fake and too American, 21 Dec 2008
Overall the book had some good advice and insights into what makes a great marriage. BUT...... I found the writing style and how the information was put across as very fake and "American."

The Questions of Jesus: Challenging Ourselves to Discover Life's Great Answers
The Questions of Jesus: Challenging Ourselves to Discover Life's Great Answers
by John Dear
Price: 9.61

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful book about Jesus, 13 Oct 2008
An amazingly refreshing and interesting book about the questions that Jesus asks throughout the Gospels. I can`t recommend it highly enough. John Dear is a Jesuit Priest, so the book would appeal to Catholics. But I dare to suggest that even Protestant would learn a lot about Jesus Christ from reading this book.

The writer, John Dear`s main view in this book is that the questions Jesus asked are much more important than people have think. Jesus' name in the original Latin means "The Great Inter-rogator....The one who asks questions."

John states "Jesus' question is asked from a heart of love......He never stops inviting them into the Grace and the light of God's reign." The writing is peppered with biblical passages and the comentary is never dull or lecturing, but thoughtprovoking and inspiring.

Family Baggage
Family Baggage
by Monica McInerney

5.0 out of 5 stars I`m half way through but hooked., 27 Aug 2008
This review is from: Family Baggage (Paperback)
I haven`t finished this book yet, but just had to review it as I`m really loving it.

Really well developed BELIEVEABLE characters, a good plot (so far), a fab range of settings from Cornwall to Oz and a bit of mystery. Even the sub-plots are great. Its one of those books that`s hard to put down. I`ll definity be reading more of Monica McInerney`s books. :-)

Lord, I Want to Be Whole
Lord, I Want to Be Whole
by Stormie Omartian
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Informative, 3 Aug 2008
I`m only a quarter of the way through this book and I really love it. I found the insights and honesty about her own struggle helpful and the steps she recommends are well explained.

If you`re interested in healing and Christainity I also recommend you read Neil T. Anderson`s book "The Bondage Breaker." This book tackles a similar theme but has a different angle.

Prayer: Does it Make Any Difference: Does It Make Any Difference
Prayer: Does it Make Any Difference: Does It Make Any Difference
by Philip Yancey

5.0 out of 5 stars It certainly made a difference to me!, 19 July 2008
This is mt first Philip Yancey book and I`ve been devouring it in any spare moments I get; on the train, waiting in lines, even on the toilet!

I found that I had some real problems with prayer and how best to approach it and how to get motivated; so I was interested in this book. At the start of the book Yancey explains "My main qualification for writing about prayer is that I feel unqualified - and genuinely want to learn."

I think that this humble and honest approach to writing about prayer really helped me. He peppers his writing with a variety of short interview extracts made by everyday people on prayer; their struggles and their accomplishments.

Above all the book is insightful and although it doesn`t teach you how to prayer (it`s not a guide) I found that it made prayer seem like less of a chore and more rewarding. Thanks Philip!

Sophie's Bakery For The Broken Hearted
Sophie's Bakery For The Broken Hearted
by Lolly Winston
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good grief it`s good!, 15 July 2008
I picked up this book when on holiday. Wow. Blew me away!!!

The story is about one woman`s attempts to cope with the death of her husband. I`ve read "P.S. I`ll always love you" which felt so fake in it`s portrayal of grief and loss. However, Winstone`s writing portrays grief so believeably; the denial; shock and almost the loss of sanity. Yet it manages to come across so optimistically and with so much hope too.

Winston`s got a winner with this book!

The Wedding Day
The Wedding Day
by Catherine Alliott

2.0 out of 5 stars Not her best offering, 15 July 2008
This review is from: The Wedding Day (Paperback)
I just read "Not that kind of Girl" and LOVED it!
So I got all excited because I thought I`d found a fantastic and gripping writer. So I picked up a copy of "The Wedding Day." So didn`t enjoy it. Found the characters wooden and unrealistic. The book dragged and I ended up giving up. I think I`ll try another of her books because I loved "Not that kind of girl" so much.
Please Catherine....how about a book where none of the characters lick their lips! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Enough already!

In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed
In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement is Challenging the Cult of Speed
by Carl Honore
Price: 7.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 20 May 2007
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It makes some very clever observations and also feeds the reader some interesting facts and trivia. It`s not a self-Help book (which I normally find useless and egotistical) but yet has had an impact on my thinking. It informs and challenges you without preaching and lets you arrive at your own conclusions. As someone who has always been naturally slow, I found it to be encouraging and it helped me noticed how much the pace of my life has accelerated over the years. Read it without any special expectations to get the most out of it abd allow it to work it`s magic in your life.